Dani's Devastating Meet...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't always understand scores and it can be frustrating sometimes when it doesn't turn out the way we think that it should. DD also received a low score this week and she and I both thought that that she did better then last meet and yet recieved a lower score. I spent a lot of time talking to her about judging and things varying from week to week and that the score wasn't the most important part but that her improvement was more important. I do think that your DD deserves to be on the podium for her terrific attiude. She was a champ for handling herself in the way that adults are sometimes unable to.

Sorry it just wasn't Dani's day. She is still doing very very well for a girl still so new to the sport. Kristilyn may be correct in that the judge decided the coach actually assisted her in doing the bhs and not only hit her with .5 for the spot, but no credit for the skill itself. Wonder if this judge does alot of USAG meets and wasn't up on how MDL is scored?

Glad you talked with the coach. Sounds like the whole team could use a little reality talk. Dani should not have to hear "trash talk" during a meet from one of her own teammates.

Hope Dani just has a great birthday and next meet goes much smoother for her!!!!

Honestly? Those were not devastating scores at all, I think she did pretty good! The vault score was AWESOME!

You're totally right Blackie!! I guess we got spoiled by her great 1st meet scores...I have A LOT to learn about gymnastics, scoring and judges!!!!

I guess the most devastating thing was what Dani had to deal with regarding the teammate and that overcame my whole mood when I wrote the original post.

Thanks so much guys for putting things in perspective for me!!!! Sometimes I can get carried away and the "perfectionist" comes out in me. It's good to know that you guys can help bring me down to earth and keep me grounded. It is so awesome and comforting to know that I have you guys at CB to vent to and share things with!!!

I made a video that I will post abit later of her meet.

Wow, I think that I would have to talk with the HC or send an email to the HC expaining what has been going on concerning this other girl. That way the HC can address the problem and squash it. At our gym, girls have had to sit out at practice if they are being nasty (has only happened once and seems to have fixed the problem as the 2 girls in question get along well enough now). I don't think that it would be wise to do nothing and let the other girls sniping comments escalate until it is truely effecting Dani's performance. Maybe if the HC handles now, the situation can be diffused. Kudos to Dani though for how she handles it! Very proud of her for not stooping to the girls level (that may be what that other girl is aiming for).

As far as the Floor score. Probably a lot of little things (toes, knees, etc.) along with the spot on BHS. I believe that when a coach spots, it is an automatic 1.00 or 1.5 deduction (think it's the 1.5). I was always told that deduction-wise, it was better to just not do the BHS and take the deduction for not doing it as opposed to having a spot for the BHS and getting the 1.5 deduction for that. Your coach should be able to give you a breakdown of deduction points for that.

Tell Dani great job though, her split leap is looking very nice.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support! The coach is going to handle this situation at the next practice. Hopefully this will put an end to the nastiness.

Oh, my gracious, what a day!:( I am so sorry for both of you. The teammates' behavior would have been devastating to me and to my dd if it happened to her.

I say with 100 percent certainty that you should bring this very unsportsmanlike conduct up with the coach. I am so, so sorry that happened!

I am very sorry too about the low floor score, but as pp's have said, the rest of the scores were good! When she gets that ROBHS she will score so much higher! (my dd is stuck on ROBHS, too).

Anyway, big hugs to you both. Hope this week brings better things and that the situation with the teammate can be dealt with. Ick.

OK - I'm a little backwards, I read your most recent post first and replied to that:eek:! But, I will say that Dani is doing good, especially for first year. I understand the deductions for the spotting, wobbles, etc. Even with those, I usually see a little bit higher scores than what she got. In your first year of level 4, it is awesome to even stay on beam without falling off:)!

As far the teammate and her comments, that is out of line, and I am glad that you talked to the HC. Maybe she can address the issue of sportsmanship and competing as a team, etc. to the team as a whole. We have been pretty lucky with our girls. We only have one, and she doesn't say rude things, she just goes on and on about herself when she does good, but won't even recognize when a teammate does something special! The are enough other girls that are more than willing to high five, hug or whatever when someone does a great job:)!

Your daughter should definetely be commended for her attitude and the mature way she has handled this. I know how tempting it would be to shoot something right back at this girl.

Hopefully the coach talking to the girls will help this situation. In the meantime, wish Dani good luck for her next meet:)!

I do not think her scores are bad at all I would watch how you word things it was a disappointing meet but I would not say devastating! I think her 1st meet scores were so good that you expected the same or better but give it time. My daughter had a rough 1st year last year with the backhandspring also except she was not allowed to be spotted so she actually had to scratch floor this was tough since she was only 7 and was the only one not from only from her group and I think from the whole meet who did not compete floor. (She cried herself to sleep the night before the meet knowing she was the only one not allowed to do floor). But we survived she actually got it a week later on her next meet scored a 7.7 and we were both thrilled.
As for her teammate I think there is always going to be kids who are nasty and competitive, she needs to learn to ignore them I think the coaches can see whats going on and they need to correct the behavior. My daughters team they have had 3 meets and all of them have had their turns at the highest score every meet seems different. I hope her other teammates have better attitudes and have more of a team spirit, she needs to hang out with the positive kids!

I do not think her scores are bad at all I would watch how you word things it was a disappointing meet but I would not say devastating! I think her 1st meet scores were so good that you expected the same or better but give it time. My daughter had a rough 1st year last year with the backhandspring also except she was not allowed to be spotted so she actually had to scratch floor this was tough since she was only 7 and was the only one not from only from her group and I think from the whole meet who did not compete floor. (She cried herself to sleep the night before the meet knowing she was the only one not allowed to do floor). But we survived she actually got it a week later on her next meet scored a 7.7 and we were both thrilled.
As for her teammate I think there is always going to be kids who are nasty and competitive, she needs to learn to ignore them I think the coaches can see whats going on and they need to correct the behavior. My daughters team they have had 3 meets and all of them have had their turns at the highest score every meet seems different. I hope her other teammates have better attitudes and have more of a team spirit, she needs to hang out with the positive kids!

Thanks Panda-girl's mom! I know---I got totally spoiled by her first meets scored and thought that was to be expected. As I said, I do have a lot to learn and I will be more careful with my wording.

As for the mean girl, the coach will have a meeting with all the girls at practice and I think that it will eventually work itself out. Her parents have been hinting at moving her to USAG or switching gyms anyway. All the other girls on dd's team are very supportive and seem to have a better attitude. They are there to work hard and have fun and aren't as cut-thoat competitive to the point where it starts to affect friendships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back