Did anyone see the piece on sky living this morning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
It was an interesting mini documentary (part of a bigger programme about sports women) featuring Beth and Amanda. Main focus appeared to be the reduction in girls participating in gymnastics and that 10 is a crucial drop out age. However, some useful stuff for late starters e.g.that Beth was a junior before she won anything.

I kind of wonder how much the elite system has to do with the drop out at 10- that's the crucial compulsory 3 age that they need to pass. That's why dd1 dropped out at that age, and it's why quite a few of her new teammates left gymnastics for other sports.

I've often heard beth tweddle being described as a "late starter". Louis smith too. In reality though, they were both elite track from the start- beth started gymnastics age 7 with Crewe and Nantwich, did her compulsories until espoir, when her coaches at Crewe advised her they couldn't take her any further, so she switched to Liverpool as a junior, and started winning.

@Faith I think you are right and its all relative. Beth was still training big hours at Crewe when compaired to the majority of gymnasts in the country

In reality there has to be a drop out on the way to elite though otherwise everyone would make it to the British and compete full FIG. It is just not for everyone. However I like to think there is a type and level of gymnastics for everyone.

I'm not really sure that the 'elite' track has a lot to do with that drop out figure, if you think about how many girls take up (and drop out of) gymnastics, as against the small number on the 'elite' path. Even in our gym, which has a strong elite program, they are only around 5%ish of the total number of girls in the club. Not enough to majorly influence those figures.

I also think I remember reading a piece recently about the most common age for girls to drop off the elite path being 12. It sounds about right to me - its the age when ability will be tested by hormones, growth spurts and other distractions. Or even where, despite best efforts, they plateau out and can't quite take the next step up.

At the lower levels, in my experience (which I accept is limited) the numbers seem to be quite static. I haven't seen a big drop out at level 3. Level 5, yes. And then older. In between, the girls are just starting to understand what the rewards might be. They see girls they know, or have competed against, making starter squad or being opportunities to travel and it's pretty motivating. Some club shuffling sees to go on but, in our club at least, relatively few girls drop off the elite path between level 5 and espoir, unless they are injured. And several of those who do move across to national grades because they still can. The numbers are quite small in context.

I suspect the biggest number of girls giving up at 10 are the others. The ones who are working hard and doing well but, because of the way the system is set up, they get to realising that maybe future options are narrowing and/or they have reached a skill level which possibly requires more hours to increase much more. And the rec girls who come and go, once they've gained a few skills. Making those girls feel more valued and giving them greater incentive to keep going will be key to upping that drop out age in my opinion.

Nationally there is a huge drop out between compulsory level 3 and compulsory level 2. There are usually around 50 girls competing at national compulsory level 3 and around half that at national compulsory level 2 each year.

Nationally there is a huge drop out between compulsory level 3 and compulsory level 2. There are usually around 50 girls competing at national compulsory level 3 and around half that at national compulsory level 2 each year.

Could this be explained (in part) by girls switching paths? There are a few in DD's squad who did level 4 and are now doing regional or national grades.

I haven't been around very long but know from other mums at our gym that there's a fairly big drop out between level 4 to 3 (often blocks with harder skills) and then again between 3 and 2. Often a girl will leave or switch gyms when told that they're not fulfilling their potential e.g. Messing around/giving coaches attitude.

Only time will tell whether the changes made to the levels will help.....will we see more girls taking the higher levels out of age?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back