Coaches Discouraged Coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Is there anything a parent can do to help build up a discouraged coach?

My daughter's coach is having a rough time right now. She is worried about some injured kids, feels like she's doing something wrong, and is having parents second guess/argue with her coaching decisions. I know she is also having some personal problems that must weigh on her too.

I just want to know if there is anything a parent can do to help encourage coaches when they get down? Bella's coach is such a wonderful lady. Obviously I think she's an awesome coach too, but mostly just a great person.

Are cards/letters of encouragement too corny? Ineffective? When you get down, is there something that helps more than anything else?

When you get down, is there something that helps more than anything else?

I think that when I'm not feeling my best, the nicest thing is to have someone notice. I have written my DD's coach a note, given her a card, etc. a few times. I also have offered to help with anything she needs and she has asked since then...I think that it helps that you notice her a as person/woman and not just a "coach". I think that she'd more than likely appreciate that very much.

As a coach, we always appreciate little notes and card, written by the parents and/or the gymnast. I really don't think it's too corny, just something we should do more often with more people :)

If you have a couple of videos of your daughter, especially spread on a certain period of time, it could be great to make a video showing your daughter's progress. I know, as a coach, I sometime focus a little too much on what needs to be corrected and not enough on what is great and has improved. Videos help a lot for that. A little thank you at the end... She would certainly be touched. And seeing progress is always good for your daughter's and the coach's confidence.

Notes from parents/gymnasts are the best! Nothing fancy, just a personal reminder of how much you and Bella appreciate her. You could even have Bella made a "thank you" type card for her with whatever tools she thinks her coach would like best. Who cares if it's a piece of printer paper with glitter glue and unicorn stickers all over it, just making the effort is so far above and beyond what most do that it doesn't go unappreciated.
If you aren't the type to write notes, just taking the time to approach her after practice one day and telling her how much you appreciate her work and what she has done for Bella can mean a lot to a coach.

If you have a couple of videos of your daughter, especially spread on a certain period of time, it could be great to make a video showing your daughter's progress. I know, as a coach, I sometime focus a little too much on what needs to be corrected and not enough on what is great and has improved. Videos help a lot for that. A little thank you at the end... She would certainly be touched. And seeing progress is always good for your daughter's and the coach's confidence.

I love this idea. I have enough video and I enjoy making videos/movies. I'm going to use the two recitals from when B was 5 and 6, then her L3 and L5 clips. Bella was 4 when Coach M bought her gym and turned it around. Use some video clips and lots of encouraging words interspersed between clips.

I love this idea. I have enough video and I enjoy making videos/movies. I'm going to use the two recitals from when B was 5 and 6, then her L3 and L5 clips. Bella was 4 when Coach M bought her gym and turned it around. Use some video clips and lots of encouraging words interspersed between clips.

This should look great, as there is a good difference between level 3 and 5 skills. I really think it's a good idea.

You can't have an impact on the injured kids, neither on the parents arguing about the coach decision. But she'll know there's someone trusting her.

What a lovely person you are! I'm sure this coach will be very touched by your thoughtfulness.

Teach your own DDto say thank you. A quick that's for the lesson at the end of each class not only improves the coaches morale but it teaches your child a sense of appreciation. A special thank you after meets means a lot too. The coaches do put a. Lot of time and mental stress into prepping kids for meets.

This should look great, as there is a good difference between level 3 and 5 skills. I really think it's a good idea.

You can't have an impact on the injured kids, neither on the parents arguing about the coach decision. But she'll know there's someone trusting her.

I finished the video last night and sent it to her this morning. In the video, I made bad (so very very bad) gymnastics puns. So I said something about how Coach M "vaulted" her into becoming the gymmie she is today and followed that with clips from Bella doing a dive roll vault in developmental class, a handstand vault from pre team, a handstand flat back in L3, and then a handspring vault in L5. I said that she has believed in Bella's abilities "bar" none and then more clips from developmental team through L5. I followed the same pattern for how Bella "beams" when it is time to go to the gym and how Coach M "floors" me with her dedication to our girls. Then I ended the video with just a statement of how much I respect who she is as a coach and like who she is as a woman.

If nothing else, I hope she giggles and rolls her eyes at my awful puns. :D

Thank you for this fabulous idea! And thank you too Coach Aussie for reminding me to remind my child to show her appreciation. I think Coach M knows how much Bella loves her from all of the drawings and hugs she gives but a simple thank you is valuable too.

My DD thanks her coach after each practice. She has since she was little...I think it's a good way to end the workout, sets them up for a good day the next time. I thank her as often as I can....I am very appreciative of her and she has a huge influence/impact on my daughter.

Teach your own DDto say thank you. A quick that's for the lesson at the end of each class not only improves the coaches morale but it teaches your child a sense of appreciation. A special thank you after meets means a lot too. The coaches do put a. Lot of time and mental stress into prepping kids for meets.

my dd has also always thanked coach after every work out from being little to a teen.
ds when he used to do gym they had a cute thing the coach instigated where they lined up in height order at the end of practice and after his talk they all shook hands with the other boys before they got let out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Galadriel we do something similar, at the end they line up, say their favourite thing and then present/salute whilst saying "Thank you for coaching me" all together in unison. Little thank yous make you feel valued as a coach too :)

Aren't you a sweet, thoughtful parent?

The cheesiness doesn't matter even a little. Coming from my (often underappreciated, sore, banged, bruised up, with Real Life Problems) coaching self, a little We Think Of You As A Person is a biiiiiiiiiiiig lift. I bet Bella's coach got a big lift out of your video.

I will let you all know how she likes it when I hear from her. She had a birthday party and then open gym today so I don't know if she's even checked her email yet.

Nothing better than when I get to work and the head coach/owner hands me a positive note/letter/email from a parent. Probably get one good note to every 1000 complaints we have to hear. Can't wait to hear how the coach reacted!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back