WAG Easterns vs Westerns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amiandjim

Proud Parent
So I have been following scores at level 9 nationals this weekend (our smallish team did AMAZING at Easterns!) and a thought occurred to me. I remembered a recent thread where we discussed scores and how many 38/39 scores there were, etc...So, I noticed that in 2 days there hasn't been a single score over 38 at Easterns but there have been 10 at Westerns...that's quite a difference. So, my question is, are the gymnasts in the Western group that much better or is the judging just different?? I looked at level 10 nationals from 2016 and honestly saw a pretty good mix from the 2 sides placing well and scoring over 38. Obviously, none of this really matters I'm just curious.

You will know at Nationals when it's all the same judges.

Level 9 has Western (Regions 1-4) and Eastern (Regions 5-8) Nationals. There are a lot more L9's than there are L10's and it allows more girls to have the opportunity to compete at this level before reaching L10 where there is a true "Nationals" with all Regions being represented.

I don't think it's even fair to compare because of the different judging, but I think the make-up of the last Olympic team is pretty interesting- Aly and Laurie from the east. Madison and Simone from the west. Gabby leans more east (but I think Iowa is west???). Shows there are great gyms and athletes everywhere.

Only finishing level 7 over here but having done quite a few travel meets, we definitely observed that AA scores were a full .5 to even 1.0 higher at some "western" meets compared to "eastern" meets. One large gymnastics state in the west was notorious for crazy high scores. This was across all our level 7-9's. Case in point, my daughter had her two worst meets complete with falls in the "west" with middle of the pack to bottom third placement, but her AA was close to the same as meets in the "east" where she had a great meet and placed top 3. I do think the scoring is tighter in the east, though maybe parts of California are an exception??

We watched 3 sessions at Easterns yesterday. Scoring was very tough compared to Regionals based on what we saw.
We are in the same region and Regional scoring was particularly low this year. But i just checked mymeetscores and you are right, by at least a couple tenths nearly across the board.

Last edited:
Only finishing level 7 over here but having done quite a few travel meets, we definitely observed that AA scores were a full .5 to even 1.0 higher at some "western" meets compared to "eastern" meets. One large gymnastics state in the west was notorious for crazy high scores. This was across all our level 7-9's. Case in point, my daughter had her two worst meets complete with falls in the "west" with middle of the pack to bottom third placement, but her AA was close to the same as meets in the "east" where she had a great meet and placed top 3. I do think the scoring is tighter in the east, though maybe parts of California are an exception??
California is traditionally tight but it appears that this year things were more normal (comparable to other states). yay!

The girls from our gym (Region 5) scored very similarly at regionals and nationals. They did go to the Pikes Peak Cup this year and scored about 0.5-1 point higher so maybe judging is a little tighter in the east.

We got home from easterns last night. Beam scores were especially scored tough across the board. I know when we traveled west this year scores seemed higher than what we normally see in our home area But who knows. I was surprised no one hit 38 at easterns

The girls from our gym (Region 5) scored very similarly at regionals and nationals. They did go to the Pikes Peak Cup this year and scored about 0.5-1 point higher so maybe judging is a little tighter in the east.

Pikes Peak Cup scoring always seems to be a little more generous than other meets in the area.

So I have been following scores at level 9 nationals this weekend (our smallish team did AMAZING at Easterns!) and a thought occurred to me. I remembered a recent thread where we discussed scores and how many 38/39 scores there were, etc...So, I noticed that in 2 days there hasn't been a single score over 38 at Easterns but there have been 10 at Westerns...that's quite a difference. So, my question is, are the gymnasts in the Western group that much better or is the judging just different?? I looked at level 10 nationals from 2016 and honestly saw a pretty good mix from the 2 sides placing well and scoring over 38. Obviously, none of this really matters I'm just curious.

the judging sucks less in the west than the east. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back