Excel vs Normal levels

Barsandfloor

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Apr 17, 2020
Country
USA
Is excel the same as normal levels? What is better to move up in for a 13 year old who would be in excel platinum but wants to work hard to get to college gymnastics?

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

MuggleMom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2016
Virginia
Country
USA
There are two paths JO (Junior Olympic) and Excel. The Bronze, silver Platinum etc are the Excel levels and levels 1-10 are the JO levels. JO doesn't mean "Olympics" (Olympics are for those on the Elite path which is separate from JO and a whole other convo). Most kids competing for colleges were level 10 before their Senior year of high school. Most kids that get gymnastics scholarships (though not all) were Level 10 for several years before graduating high school. I dont think there are any Excel gymnastics that have gone on to compete for NCAA gymnastics. There are some club level teams where lower JO level girls and Excel girls have continued gymnastics and competed. Excel Platinum would be equivilant to Level 6/7 from what I understand (possible 8 on some events?) I would think if she really wanted to try for College gymnstics it would be difficult but it would better to transition over to the JO track. You would likely need to petition to level 6 or score out of levels 4 & 5 then you could start optionals and see if you can progress to level 10 by Junior or Senior year. We had a girl at our gym who didnt start gymnastics till 11 and ended up with a scholarship so it is possible just difficult.

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
There are two paths JO (Junior Olympic) and Xcel. The Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum etc are the Xcel levels and levels 1-10 are the JO levels. JO doesn't mean "Olympics" (Olympics are for those on the Elite path which is separate from JO and a whole other convo). Most kids competing for colleges were level 10 before their Senior year of high school. Most kids that get gymnastics scholarships (though not all) were Level 10 for several years before graduating high school. I dont think there are any Xcel gymnastics that have gone on to compete for NCAA gymnastics. There are some club level teams where lower JO level girls and Xcel girls have continued gymnastics and competed. Xcel Platinum would be equivalent to Level 6/7 from what I understand (possible 8 on some events?) I would think if she really wanted to try for College gymnastics it would be difficult but it would better to transition over to the JO track. You would likely need to petition to level 6 or score out of levels 4 & 5 then you could start optionals and see if you can progress to level 10 by Junior or Senior year. We had a girl at our gym who didnt start gymnastics till 11 and ended up with a scholarship so it is possible just difficult.
*Xcel not Excel ... sorry, pet peeve, lol. (I hate when auto-correct tries to change it and have been known to yell at my tablet).
Xcel Diamond is more possibly Level 8-ish on some events.
And I think last year, I saw that a former Xcel gymnast was on a D-3 team when I was looking up all the gymnasts I saw in some college meets.

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Dec 13, 2010
Country
USA
Yes, this would definitely be a hard road but if they are willing to put in the work and dedication and they want it more than anything else in their life, then go for it! Everything Muggle said is right on. One thing that I would add is that Div III has girls at a little lower level. I know two level 9s that will be on D3 teams next year. If college is the goal and you have a great coach that is on board with creating a program that will track to high levels quickly and will do the work of helping with the college recruiting process anything is possible. But yes, this is a very non traditional path and a very late start.

Reactions: jennyj

Mmd7999

Proud Parent
Feb 25, 2020
Country
USA
There are two paths JO (Junior Olympic) and Excel. The Bronze, silver Platinum etc are the Excel levels and levels 1-10 are the JO levels. JO doesn't mean "Olympics" (Olympics are for those on the Elite path which is separate from JO and a whole other convo). Most kids competing for colleges were level 10 before their Senior year of high school. Most kids that get gymnastics scholarships (though not all) were Level 10 for several years before graduating high school. I dont think there are any Excel gymnastics that have gone on to compete for NCAA gymnastics. There are some club level teams where lower JO level girls and Excel girls have continued gymnastics and competed. Excel Platinum would be equivilant to Level 6/7 from what I understand (possible 8 on some events?) I would think if she really wanted to try for College gymnstics it would be difficult but it would better to transition over to the JO track. You would likely need to petition to level 6 or score out of levels 4 & 5 then you could start optionals and see if you can progress to level 10 by Junior or Senior year. We had a girl at our gym who didnt start gymnastics till 11 and ended up with a scholarship so it is possible just difficult.
You can petition to level 6? My daughter has always competed Xcel (bronze silver gold). She is currently working on scoring out of 4 & 5. I didn’t know a petition was a option. Where do I go to learn more about the petition process?

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
You can petition to level 6? My daughter has always competed Xcel (bronze silver gold). She is currently working on scoring out of 4 & 5. I didn’t know a petition was a option. Where do I go to learn more about the petition process?
Gymnast must be 14 years old or freshman in high school to petition. It is done by the coach to your USAG State Administrative Chairperson.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!