WAG Extreme mental block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

keeley

Gymnast
Hi,
I was an acrobat/gymnast when I started having pain in my knee. I had my side aerial, front aerial, back handspring, round off back handspring, round off back tuck, round off back layout etc. I stopped gymnastics and dance to recover because of my knee and now i'm about to go back to gymnastics and I'm having an assessment to see what level I should go back to and I can't do any skills except a cart wheel and round off on the ground. I can do it all on the trampoline and air track with perfect form and no issues at all but when I try to do it on the ground I either freak out when I'm about to do it or flop and fall on my head/back/butt. I have no idea what to do (I've got no one to spot me) and I don't want to go back to the beginning seeing as I am 14 (about to turn 15). Any tips?

Work toward getting your skills back slowly and with progressions. Start with a skill that you might be a bit more comfortable with, such as a side aerial or a walkover and you will probably find that once you get one skill back everything else will just sorta return. It's just getting over the initial fear, which is the hardest part.
Also try not to overthink things, as obvious as this might be, because you still have the skills, its just your brain telling you you're scared.
I hope this helps and good luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back