Full turn on floor!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My gymnast can't get the full turn on floor. Today was their gold mark testing day (something like your TOP-tests there in US..?) and full turn is required. Simple full turn. But the girls looked something like jumping frogs or chicken trying to fly when they tried to do that skill... It was absolutely horrible to watch. They focused on TURNING and forgot everything else, no matter what I said or how many times I made corrections. How on earth can I make them to do it correctly? The most difficult part for almost everyone is to put the "free" leg in front of the turning leg after the full turn and finish the turn nicely. They are also struggling with FAST turn. They say that it's impossible to turn because the floor is so damp and sticky. "The judge coach" let them wear socks but i think it wasn't too good idea because they can't wear socks at competitions.

Any ideas, please!

Start smaller. Like with simple coupe holds (for balance/control), coupe to releve, then coupe-releve-1/4 turn (holding the coupe at completion), coupe-releve-1/2 turn (again, holding the coupe at the finish), Then progress to a more fluis 1/2 turn in coupe with the step forward at the finish, and finally begin working on the full turn.

If the kids can not control a smaller turn or even hold a good coupe position in releve, there's no way they're going to be able to do a full turn. It's like asking a kid to do a full twisting layout that can't do a layout.

If they're having trouble going forward after the turn it's because their shoulders are not over their hips, or their rib cage is open, or both (all very common because of the type of posture gymnastics seems to encourage). If their leg is straight, their hips are rolled under (back flat), their ribs are closed, their shoulders are over their hips, and their arms are in the right place they should be able to go in whatever direction they want after the turn. And as AmandaLynn said, you can't turn with your body in the right position if you can't balance in that position for at least as long as it would take to complete the turn.

It can be hard to turn because of friction with the floor surface. I've found it helps to think of lifting upwards, like you are putting less weight on the floor. At the same time you need to squeeze your core tight. It can also help to spot half way, so your eyes spot in three positions, your starting position, halfway round, and your ending position. I don't know if this works for everyone, but it seems to help me.

thanks for good advice!

the problem is not the balance i guess, because before gold mark they had to do bronze and silver marks that require coupe holds and releve coupe holds (2 seconds and both legs) and the girls did that correctly and nicely.

mustlovejumping, i think your advice was awesome! even if i can do full turn myself i didn't know anything about those closed rib cage stuff.

they can do half turns pretty nicely and their competitive routine requires that too. but the full turn is still hard! we will continue practicing tomorrow.

thank you all! : )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back