Gloves vs. PVC for strap bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Why would you use either one? Advantages/disadvantages...

dd prefers the pvc. She says the gloves were too slippery when she was first starting on the strap. I don't think she has tried the gloves since last summer. The pvc stays on the bar all the time now.

from a safety standpoint, and given the broad range of kids doing strap bar, pvc is safest.:)

We always used PVC when I was a gymnast. In the gym that I now coach at, the coaches have the kids use oven mits. They say that it helps them with the wrist shift, where with the PVC, they don't even really have to shift the wrists to get over the bar. I suppose I can see the reasoning.

DDs gym they use gloves. Her old gym was the plastic bar. She says the gloves make it easier to change to the real bar. I just asked her about sliding off and she said "that's why there are STRAPS mom. So you DON'T slip off!"

So there you go. From an 8 year old's perspective, lol.

My dd is working front giants and toe hand right now, so it isn't about just making it over. Our old gym used pvc and our new gym uses gloves - she loves the gloves!

We always used PVC when I was a gymnast. In the gym that I now coach at, the coaches have the kids use oven mits. They say that it helps them with the wrist shift, where with the PVC, they don't even really have to shift the wrists to get over the bar. I suppose I can see the reasoning.

If gloves are used, they should be tightly fitted.

i use both...in progression. pvc when first learning or for general tap swings. then gloves for more realistic feeling (shifting, correct tap time)

I use these gloves (well a different brand, but they are exfoliating gloves): they have some grip to them so they don't feel so slippery: Amazon.com: Exfoliating Spa Gloves: Beauty

I bought mine at Walmart though.

We have the girls use tight fitting cotton gloves. Some clubs use toe socks or plain socks with a hole cut for the thumb. The oven mits sound like grip lock waiting to happen. What ever is used needs to cover the hand/wrist with no extra material. Have given the gymnasts cotton garden gloves and polyprop/merino under-gloves in kids sizes in the past but those are too hot in summer.

Yeah. I am picturing these kids flying out of the oven mitts...that are safely strapped to the bar....

The way the straps are wrapped around, I'm pretty certain that they can't fly out of them. but I do see how using tighter fitting gloves would probably be a better idea. If for no other reason, than you'd have a better feel for the bar.

I am only currently coaching rec classes and pre-team, so I do not use the strap bar with any of my gymnasts at this point. And as I mentioned, the gym that I came from used PVC over the bar. So, the idea of gloves is all new to me and I haven't really thought much about it, I suppose, since it wasn't something that I'm working with my current groups. kwim?

We use cotton gloves, like you can get in pharmacies. The tighter the fit, the better! Some of the girls do prefer woolen gloves as they don't stretch as much as the cotton ones once different sized hands have been in them!
Ideally all our gymnasts would have their own pair, but we tried that, and they lost them, so now we have a big box of smelly used gloves - they mostly remember to bring their own now!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back