WAG Gym policy on moving to next level and

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We don't have specific score requirements...it is individual based on the athlete and their ability to get the skills for the next level. That being said, we also haven't had any gymnasts "on the cusp" either...all have scored at least 35+ so no one close to the USAG minimum and all made State/done well.

At our gym, the USAG Minimum must be met 2x in a season to even be considered to move up... even if a gymnast has the skills. If they make a zone "mandate score" twice in one season, they almost always move up. They definitely do not want teams padding their lower levels just to score well (and we know SOME gyms do that in USAG... like the team that made a girl compete Old L3 for an extra season even though she was scoring 37+ to 38+ and was working giants on the strap bar... she went on to compete Old L5 the next season).
Our Zone Mandate Scores (as of last year, but levels changed to fit the new levels)
Old 4/ New 3 ... 33.00 AA with at least 8.25 on each event in the same meets the 33.00 were scored.
Old 5/ New 4 ... 34.00 AA with at least 8.00 on each event in the same meets the 34.00 were scored.
Old 6/ New 5 ... 33.00 AA with at least 7.75 on each event in the same meets the 33.00 were scored.
New L6 ... 33.00 AA with at least 8.25 on each event in the same meets the 33.00 were scored.
Level 7 ... 34.00 AA with at least 8.00 on each event in the same meets the 34.00 were scored.
Level 8 ... 35.00 AA with at least 8.25 on each event in the same meets the 35.00 were scored.
Our Zone only goes up to Level 9, so there is no mandate score from there.
In our District, we use the L7 Mandates for Xcel Divisions.

No required moveup scores that I know of. Each girl is assessed on what level she can compete with success and still have time to uptrain.

No minimum here either (beyond what USAG says)--just need to be able to compete skills from next level

Our USAG minimum mobility score is 31 but the gym we were at requires two 35's. Just found out the the gym I'm at now requires the same. I just wish that they only went by the skills. Level 3 is really a useless level. It builds on nothing. Sure wish they would have changed some of those skills like that dreaded mill circle, cut back and Front hip circle. I
Can live with the shoot through.

Rumor is we have one, but no.... However, if you are scoring low in your level then.....

I changed gyms and am actually having my first class at my new gym tomorrow! And before I was put into a team I had to be tested and put onto the rem that best suited my ability and then my mum signed a contract

It is skill requirements for us. If you have all required skills to compete the next level to a good solid standard then you can move up.

Our gym is pretty relaxed about it - you have to get the required USAG mobility score, and be able to safely do the skills required for the next level.

My gym just started using an average AA score as a guideline to move up. I'm not saying exactly what that is here but it is considerably higher than 31.00 but still easily attainable if you are proficient at your level. This year I moved at least 4 girls up despite the fact that they fell below the required average score. I'm glad that my boss was open to moving them based on skills.

In the past there was one girl that I took despite the score and she ended up being State Champion for me on bars that season. She's now a Level 10 gymnast and all of the 37-38 kids from that team don't do gym any longer.

My daughter's former gym had two criterias: 1) if the parents caused enough ruckus, their daughter will get to move up :-O and 2) whatever or whenever it moves the coach. Sometimes they considered the gymnast's welfare and sometime they could care less. My daughter's new coach has no score requirements except if you don't have the skill and cannot perform it safely and consistently, you don't compete that level or you don't compete.

My daughter's former gym had two criterias: 1) if the parents caused enough ruckus, their daughter will get to move up :-O and 2) whatever or whenever it moves the coach. Sometimes they considered the gymnast's welfare and sometime they could care less. My daughter's new coach has no score requirements except if you don't have the skill and cannot perform it safely and consistently, you don't compete that level or you don't compete.

This made me laugh! So true!

No minimum score at DD's gym either. It's more about being proficient with the skills needed for that level from what I have been told.

Our gym requires a 36 AA at one meet during the season and the girls must be proficient at all the skills for the current level. The gym only repeats girls at the same level once. After the second year, they automatically move up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back