Parents Has the whole world gone mad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Discussion is how we learn from each other. How does a newer parent know mega hours are a bad thing if more experienced parents do not share their experiences? That is the whole point of discussion fora, to discuss. Part of being an adult is learning to discuss topics that are controversial without getting angry or trying to close down the discussion.

I usually find that people who get upset about this topic are newer parents who have a kid signed up for mega hours, eventually they come around to seeing it was not the best idea. Often after their child is injured or emotionally burned out.

The only reason discussion is curtailed here is for breaking the rules, which you all read when you joined. Until then, discuss away. You all know where the line is in the sand.

gymcoach93, the topic came up because parents are posting videos of their kids and talking about the high hours they are training in a public forum- ie. they have chosen to share all this information. No one is going out of their (and it's always great for adults to learn the difference between their/there/they're btw), noses into anything, but are commenting on decisions these parents have made for their children that they are open about and proud of, which seem to be questionable choices.

Your the type of person that would hear sirens going off near their place and then have to find out why. And have some sort of opinion you feel the need to share to the world about.

And that seems personal. You can disagree with opinions.....that is fine. That is normal. But attacking someone you really don't know....that crosses the line

gymcoach93, the topic came up because parents are posting videos of their kids and talking about the high hours they are training in a public forum- ie. they have chosen to share all this information. No one is going out of their (and it's always great for adults to learn the difference between their/there/they're btw), noses into anything, but are commenting on decisions these parents have made for their children that they are open about and proud of, which seem to be questionable choices.
Then give your opinion on their thread. Don’t open one for no reason

Your the type of person that would hear sirens going off near their place and then have to find out why. And have some sort of opinion you feel the need to share to the world about.

Okay, now this comment is wandering into the realm of a personal attack. You do not have to like another members opinion, but you sure cannot post this way about them. You seem very upset by this topic, I am going to give you a warning, next time it will be a ban.

And that seems personal. You can disagree with opinions.....that is fine. That is normal. But attacking someone you really don't know....that crosses the line
It’s not a personal attack. It’s a genuine discussion about my views on what I’ve read.

Okay, now this comment is wandering into the realm of a personal attack. You do not have to like another members opinion, but you sure cannot post this way about them. You seem very upset by this topic, I am going to give you a warning, next time it will be a ban.
Ok how is that right. What I’m stating is people who open conversations about things that aren’t happening to them is the same as hearing sirens in their area and going in social media to have to tell people their opinions on it. Same thing.

Ok how is that right. What I’m stating is people who open conversations about things that aren’t happening to them is the same as hearing sirens in their area and going in social media to have to tell people their opinions on it. Same thing.

If you do not see the difference it may be that discussion forums are not the right place for you. However it is my job to know the difference between a personal attack and discussion. Please watch what you write. When a post involves the words "you" quite often the tone is personal. If "you" is not followed by a positive descriptor, then it probably is an attack.

You are dead wrong and know nothing about me. This couldn't be further from how I operate. The personal attacks are really uncalled for at this point.
It’s not personal. I’m seriously just comparing the statement to a similar situation

It’s not personal. I’m seriously just comparing the statement to a similar situation

I thikn had you done that.. (This seems like when people hear sirens and then want to share on social media) versus "You seem like the type to..." you would have been fine. When you target a person with a negative, that is as personal attack....

gymcoach98321 has been banned. They could not see that their words were a personal attack, and totally unnecessary in a forum discussion. Our rules say personal attacks are not tolerated, a warning was given, the attack continued, the member was banned.

Please continue as before. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you Bog!! I kept watching the thread and even clicked on this gym coach poster to see if I missed prior postings but alas, has been on CB since Thursday....is this a record for getting banned? Less than a week?! You do good work Bog and CBers appreciate it.

Back to the topic ;) - did anyone currently part of that group notice that 60+ people suddenly joined that group? Iol

Oh and we have a fairly known social media gymnast at our gym who does do a lot of hours and is homeschooled, however that's not the norm at our gym at all - actually our gym is fairly low hours compared to other gyms. We have several girls that burned out at a high hours gym (one gym was 30+ hours for 8 years old!), took a break and moved to our gym and now they are all level 9s and 10s and one is even on the verge of going elite - all with less hours than they did before.

I was on the verge of being a crazy parent though o_O! My daughter wasn't getting several skills 3 months ago and falling behind her teammates so I kept bugging for privates even though they said she was doing fine. They had to keep reminding me she's younger and smaller than everyone on the entire team and she's progressing great, she just needed to get stronger which takes time and build muscle memory..but I kept asking.

It's easy to get sucked in when you suddenly see a 7 year old talent throwing crazy skills on beam and bar. Thankfully I realized how obsessive I was becoming so I backed off and started trusting the process. I finally heeded the advice I read on here all the time: it's a marathon, not a sprint. :D

Then reply to those parents who are starting threads to ask opinions. Don’t start your own thread for your own reason about things your just stating about things that aren’t happening to your child. Unless your asking for advice. Then response to those asking for advice instead of creating from nothing your own pointless thread
What's the problem? This is a discussion of gymnastics, and the original post was an observation of gymnastics. You are taking this way too personally. Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

This whole thread reminds me of that scene from Stick It where all the parents are being told their kids are going to the olympics. I'm so tempted to join that group just so I can ask "what country are they representing? State of delusion?"

Seriously, though, this is a cultural problem that really does affect all of us. If parents think that high hours are the norm or the only way to be successful, then they'll go to gyms that offer them. Parents without any gymnastics knowledge have no way of knowing better, and I think the more voices of reason there are out there the better.

gymcoach98321 has been banned. They could not see that their words were a personal attack, and totally unnecessary in a forum discussion. Our rules say personal attacks are not tolerated, a warning was given, the attack continued, the member was banned.

Well that was quick! LOL! I don't think they understood this site. As Donkey says, "they never last."

I was enjoying the discussion before that brief interruption, I hope it continues.

Go Bog Go!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back