WAG Help for a returning gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had to quit a few months ago due to my leg and heart. Recently I've been given the okay to go back by my mom and lets wait a month by my doctor that's great coming from him). I've lost all my muscle, some of my flexibility, and I'm majorly out of shape. Any tips to help me get back into shape and become flexible again?

Give it time and be patient. There's going to be a gap between where you are when you come back and where you were when you left. As much as you want to rush getting you skills back, DON'T. Listen to your body when something hurts, if you try to push through it, its just going to hurt more! It's hard getting there, and you may want to give up bust just keep pushing. I'm coming off of a nine month long injury with minimal conditioning and let me tell you, it's not easy! Wishing you luck!

First off, definitely wait the month that your doctor recommended. In the mean time, stretch every day! You can definitely stretch without much risk. Ask your doctor what kinds of strength training exercises he feels are safest for you to start now. The hardest part will be getting your strength and flexibility back, your muscle memory will allow you to pick up most of your skills back as long as you have the physical ability (flexibility and strength!) to do them.

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back