Parents Help me learn how to do hair!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I did the "perfect ponytail" I learned here: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-perfect-ponytail-2

Then I made four braids of approximately equal size and used clear bands to secure them. I used a new ponytail holder over the existing to pull them through partway. Once they were secure, I took the clear bands off and undid the bottoms of the braid. I wrapped that hair repeatedly around the ponytail holder to cover it, securing with hair pins and hair spray.

And...

HER COACH TOOK IT OUT AND PUT IT IN A BUN AGAIN!

I asked DD WHY and coach said it was falling out. I asked DD if it was falling out and she said she didn't think it was.

Ugh.

I have two words for those who have DD's with long tangly hair...Wet Brush. Goes through hair like butter. About the styling? I'm not so good in that area, but we are required to do a bun. I use gel, hair spray and hair glue. This year I started using a hair net to keep the hair from flying out of the bun, I bobby pin it all in, and it works great!

I have two words for those who have DD's with long tangly hair...Wet Brush. Goes through hair like butter. About the styling? I'm not so good in that area, but we are required to do a bun. I use gel, hair spray and hair glue. This year I started using a hair net to keep the hair from flying out of the bun, I bobby pin it all in, and it works great!
I'll have to try the wet brush thing on dd's hair - I've been referring to her as Rapunzel but sometimes I think Medusa would be a better name - not because of her basilisk-like stare but because I swear her hair has a life of its own. The other day I was foolish enough to let her wear it in a ponytail, thinking 'one day can't be that bad, surely'. Ha. It took me 2 days and a TangleTeezer brush to get out the knots. She sleeps in plaits because it is the only way we can get her hair sorted in time for school in the mornings, and even then her hair STILL gets tangled. How is this even possible? the only explanation is that it unplaits itself in the night, winds around itself then plaits itself back up again, chortling to itself at my foolishness in thinking it will only take 2 minutes to brush through for school. I keep suggesting a shorter style but she just looks at me as if I've gone mad and says but you KNOW how long I've been growing it for, and I want it to reach my ankles.:eek: Can't wait. Hopefully by then she'll be 18 and responsible for her own de-snarling:)

Is Wet Brush a thing? Like something you buy called "Wet Brush"? Or is it just a brush that is wet?

I love the Dutch Braid. On a sidenote, does the hair of college gymnasts drive anyone else crazy? We recorded a lot of college gymnastics for my daughter to watch, and their hair drives me insane! It is totally flying away...the ponytails are loose and flopping everywhere. I cannot stand the hair on college gymnastics!

We do own wet brushes, and they have been indispensable for my tender headed DD. At our gym, however, no one is allowed to use bobby pins. At all- not even rec girls like my younger DD. Is it common to be allowed to use them? Because it would make doing hair a LOT easier.

Thank goodness we don't have a bobby-pin ban! I used about 20 this weekend.

stillgotmyleotard - Ok, I can braid on a smaller scale. But something like a french or dutch braid? Forget it! :)

I didn't even bother trying the style I previously posted figuring the coach would just take it out. I went with a bun, but started with my "perfect ponytail" and then did a pretty (more classic) bun, rather than the "braid then knot" bun the coach does. Used a hair net and it was great! She even slept in it and it was still perfect over 24 hours later for family portraits.

Now that I have proved myself to the coach, I am going to attempt the little braid do again next weekend. ;)

Congratulations on your first successful competition bun! That is a big accomplishment, especially for the hair challenged.

We do own wet brushes, and they have been indispensable for my tender headed DD. At our gym, however, no one is allowed to use bobby pins. At all- not even rec girls like my younger DD. Is it common to be allowed to use them? Because it would make doing hair a LOT easier.
Well, I heard a rumor that bobby pins at our gym used to be banned, but I haven't heard anything. Thank goodness because there is no way DD's hair would stay without them! What are they afraid of, bobby pins flying out of their hair onto the floor? Shooting into another gymnasts eye? :eek: I'm guessing there's a reason we're allowed to use them now (too many bun emergencies, male coaches not knowing how to handle it, etc.) :p

I looked at that, then I scrolled on to the "how to dry wavy hair" tutorial, 10 minutes in I though "Sod that for a game of soldiers"

My drying of wavy hair involves making smalls breakfast, making their lunch whilst they eat breakfast, telling them to hurry up as they will be late for school, jump in shower, wash hair, jump out of shower, shout to smalls to hurry up or they will be late for school, get dressed, shout at smalls if they are not in the car in 5 minutes we will be late for school, rub towel through wet hair, scream at malls to get in car NOW as we are late for school, get in car, get out of car run back in house to pick up left lunch/pe kit/school bag/ dinner money/ mobile, get back in car - rant at smalls how they have to be more organised on a school day, open car windows and stick head out of window to dry hair on way to school !

Works for us

I looked at that, then I scrolled on to the "how to dry wavy hair" tutorial, 10 minutes in I though "Sod that for a game of soldiers"

My drying of wavy hair involves making smalls breakfast, making their lunch whilst they eat breakfast, telling them to hurry up as they will be late for school, jump in shower, wash hair, jump out of shower, shout to smalls to hurry up or they will be late for school, get dressed, shout at smalls if they are not in the car in 5 minutes we will be late for school, rub towel through wet hair, scream at malls to get in car NOW as we are late for school, get in car, get out of car run back in house to pick up left lunch/pe kit/school bag/ dinner money/ mobile, get back in car - rant at smalls how they have to be more organised on a school day, open car windows and stick head out of window to dry hair on way to school !
Works for us
I've discovered if I stick mine tightly back into a ponytail then follow the above screaming and driving to school plan, it dries fairly straight, thus saving valuable time on straightening later :)

Thank you to whoever suggested the Wet Brush. I let DD pick one on Amazon (rainbow zebra, natch) and she loves it. She promptly brushed her hair into a glorious, tangle-free mane.

I have wavy hair too, but I refuse to straighten it. Who has time? I scrunch mousse in it and leave. Works great in the desert, but we'll see how well it does when I move to the coast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back