Parents Helping DD still feel part of the team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is loving Level 4 and it's so great to see her excited and so happy. I know there has to be someone else on here that had a child who was part of the team, but couldn't compete due to their age. I'm curious how you dealt with it so your child still felt like they were part of the team.

I was thinking we would go to all of the meets to cheer her friends on especially since they are all local. It won't cost much, just gas. Did you order the team leotard and warmups? They do a few mock meets where they wear the leotard to the gym and practice competing and I'd like her to do those. Then they do pictures as a team so I figured I'd better go ahead and get the leo. With my luck they will change leotards by the time she competes, but she can always wear it for practice.

I honestly don't think she will mind not competing. She's pretty shy and I think she's too young to really understand.

My youngest DD is 4 and on the pre-team, she is the youngest and her teammates are 6+. Next year they will all be in level 4, but my DD will only be a young 5, so we are kind of in the same boat as you.

I would definitely go ahead and get the leo and warm up. You will have to get it sooner or later so why not get it now? This can be a learning experience for her, take her to a couple meets and she can see what is in store for next year.

Good luck to you and your DD:)

That is great that your dd gets to train with the level 4's even if she doesn't get to compete. Is she 5 yet? I guess I would just buy the leo for the mock meets and the picture. I doubt I would buy the warm ups thought unless they will be the same for next year when she does compete.
My 4 year old is ready for level 4 USAG. The coach said yesterday that she would be competing this year if the age restrictions were not in place. Good thing my dd doesn't have a clue. She will be the youngest competing level 3 at our gym so at least that is something. We have been asked to attend the level 4 tryout clinic next weekend so I don't know what they exactly have planned for her yet. If I had to guess they will send her to the level 3 team class one day a week where they learn routines and keep her in the second preteam level that she is already in and uptrain which they already do for her but we will see. None of the older girls in her class that are 6 were invited to try out for level 4 and I think there were some hurt feelings. They don't know that my dd was asked and I am not telling them either. That is a different thread alltogether.
I think your dd would get a lot out of going to some of the meets. It would help her see why they do the things they do in classes and help her bond with her teammates. So I say go for it.

I agree on getting the leo, but letting the warm ups go since she won't be doing any formal march ins and they could change before she ever competes. She'll probably feel special enough in the leo that not having warm ups won't matter. If it does, maybe you could find plain warm ups in the same color for much less and decorate them.

I think the idea of going to a few meets is great. Don't be upset if dd gets bored after a few rotations--just the nature of the beast at age 4. She could do something like bring in cookies, lollipops etc. before the meet to give to the girls who are competing. Sort of serve as the team mascot.

DD just turned 5.

I thought about buying the warm-ups so when we go to meets she could wear them and feel part of the team. I guess it will depend on how much they cost.

DD has been going to gym meets since birth so she knows what they are about. It will be different watching her friends compete with routines that she knows though.

I kind of wish she could compete. It will be interesting to see what the coaches want to do with her next year. Part of me says another year of level 4 so she can compete, but another part thinks I should just let her keep working skills and train level 5. But then that's another year of not competing. Her gym doesn't care about spending more than one year at the lower levels and they often don't score really high, but they have good optionals up to level 10 and one Hopes elite. Who knows what will happen in a year anyway. She might quit completely or not be ready so I guess we will just see.

It is frustrating when the girls are super talented but not old enough to compete. The girls that are unusually talented at our gym compete level 4 and level 5 and then sometimes but not always skip a level here and there. We have 6 elites at our gym with all of them being on some national team and two A team and one B team tops girls. We also have two Diamond level girls at 7 years old. We may have some gold and silver level too. Sometimes competing the skills that they have really helps them to mature and polish their skills while teaching them to get in front of a crowd. So competing next year may be good for her. But whatever you decide just know that you have plenty of time. Good luck!

DH and I faced a similar problem when our girls started competing---our gym is very strict about training in age level groups, but does uptraining for the girls who are ready.

Since we've two girls (twins), we were afraid it might become too much a competition between them. So, we decided that they would not compete against each other whenever possible. They usually rotate, same as we do with washing dishes and feeding the greys. So, one meet, one will compete and the other is the team cheerleader. It's been really successful so far...I think they honestly enjoy making signs and such for the team more than getting to compete.

I'm pretty strict (as some people might be able to guess from my posts...:)) But, we let the one sticking to the stands paint her face, wear glitter, maybe wear a funny costume, what ever she thinks might motivate her teammates and sister. DH always totes the camcorder along to meets. Let's just say some of the sweetest videos are of one of the girls cheering on her friends and sister.

Now, my boys silliness at meets is a whole other story...If you ever see a matched pair of brown haired little hooligans trying to hold their own meet in the hallways or behind the stands, you've probably seen my two loons. (Dear hearts...;-)) We try to keep them under control, but they have an uncanny ability to mimic Houdini.

Our DD was 5 and trained Level 4. We purchased a used team leo for photos and a new warm up for her to wear to the two home meets. She fully trained and had privates last year. She was critiqued by the judges who visited our gym and participated in the "mock" meets. DD also did each of her routines for the optional team on meet weeks. They cheered her on and she was a mini optional. She also did special shows with the optionals and did solo routines at shows. It was not easy but we survived. That being said it was the best thing she ever did. She has had a great year so far. Knock on wood. Just keep her focused and remind her it is her time next year. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back