High performance centres?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NEgymmum

Proud Parent
I saw a post on here the other day referring to high performance centres, and it made me wonder about them.
Which gyms are HPCs? And what makes them one, coaches? Facilities? History of creating elites?
And would a gymmie be invited to join one based on potential or would a smaller gym refer them if they thought someone was good enough for a HPC?
Sorry for all the questions! I literally know next to nothing about this sport, but am trying to learn! My gymmie is only 5 so HPCs are not at all relevant but I'm just curious.
:)

In Australia we have High Performance Centres. Our population just isn't large enough to have elites training in all different gums around the country.

There is one main HPC for the country (at the Australia Institute of sport) and then the are state based HPC's. These are not run independently, they are run by Gymnastics Australia.

In our state nobody belongs to the HPC, they belong to their home clubs and stay registered by their home clubs but they train at the HPC.

It is actually very relevant for kids at 5, because that is about the age we choose kids with potential to attend the HPC's. Gyms identity talented kids at around 5 and train them in their strength and flexibility and our HPC takes those kids at age 7.

They then train and compete in a completely different stream to the gymnastics clubs.

It's a little different in the UK- it's less official.

Here coaches are only allowed to coach skills they are qualified to, so the level a club can go to depends on it's highest qualified coach. To coach junior/senior elite you need at least a level 4 or 5 coach. Most "everyday" gyms that do grades, rec etc will have a minimum of L1 and L2 coaches, sometimes a L3.

Then of course it becomes natural that the relatively few coaches of that level will be found at the top facilities-it's very difficult to teach high level skills with no pits/strap bars/sprung floors. Then a gym/coach has one elite, and others tend to transfer in as it is seen as a successful programme.

So in England you're looking at Liverpool, Notts, Heathrow, Park Wrekin, Europa, Sapphire, Bristol Hawks, East London. That isn't fixed, and changes over time, in the 80's Ladywell and Redditch and Bromsgove were "the" clubs to be at, for example.

And would a gymmie be invited to join one based on potential or would a smaller gym refer them if they thought someone was good enough for a HPC?
:)

This depends solely on your coach, and the gym's philosophy, with a little bit of ego thrown in. A sensible club/coach will know their limitations, and send any very talented littlies over to the nearest HPC. Many like to have a superkid to coach/in their club, and think they can get the kid to elite ranks. This is where being informed as a parent helps.

Problem in the UK is the elite track is separate, and you really need to be on it by age 7/8. By the time a parent realises a kid needs an HPC, they're usually "too old", and too behind.

There are some middle ground clubs of course, with coaches more than capable of lower level elite track, so compulsories and espoir. Personally I think if I had a kid with potential, I'd start them at one of these clubs and transfer in to a "big" club later- they tend to be high pressure, high hours, and only the really super talented are chosen, as they have hundreds to pick from.

To find the 'high performance ' gyms in your area look up your region on BG and then find the results for the last 3 years for the compulsory grades. The clubs that consistently have gymnasts passing these grades comfortably and representing their region at nationals are the ones to go to. To the list above I would add South Durham, Academy, South Essex, Dynamo and there are a few more on the edges.

I agree that the middle ground clubs who have success up to espoir are definitely worth looking at as a starting point.

Thanks everyone.
From the sounds of it, our gym is a middle ground one, we do have girls doing well at compulsory grades and going to nationals. It has good facilities and we're certainly happy here so far!
Thanks again for answering my questions!

My DD goes to a HPC. I started her in baby gym there at 18 months, the year she was was going to school aged 4.5 she moved into the rec class and the baby gym coach told me she was putting her in a specific class as she thought she was elite material - I was shocked to hear this and was told my DD takes her time to get things but she always gets there and it's beautiful and perfect...I took her word for it's her eyes are more knowing than mine [emoji16]
7 months down the line she was invited to trial for the class that is for those kids showing potential, she was then taken on full time doing 6.5hrs over 3 sessions.
Last summer (6.5yrs) she went to the next progression up doing 9.5 hours over 3 sessions. Next week she starts an extra 2 hours with the head coach of the squad 1 team as a possible progression into the next class in progression which would be 12 or something hours over 4 sessions.
I picked the gym I did for its facilities compared to my local gym but I never expected her to progress the way she is but she loves gym it really is her true love so I'll put up with the drive and the waiting around as long as it is her true love! They really do have to love it at this level as it cuts into free time big style and is a lot of hard work though she loves every it of it even the conditioning!
My local gym, my son (15) does Freestyle there and I know they do not have a girls squad currently as they only have one coach high enough level and until they get more they can't have a squad,but the boys squad do really well, they have the national under 16 champion this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back