WAG Hip & Groin Issues? Labral Tear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
My daughter is a 14 yo, level 9 gymnasts and is having a lot of pain in her hip and groin area. Her hip area was uncomfortable for a month or so and last week she went down into the splits and had a more intense pain. She has not been totally off of it, but hasn't been to gym in a week and the the pain has not gotten any better.

Back to the doctor today, more x-rays and he didn't find anything. He has ordered an MRI to look for a tear.

Is a hip labral tear a career ending injury? My daughter is heart-broken, and honestly, so am I.

I was going to post the Shift Movement last night. :) Glad you got to it. Lots of GREAT info and stretches on there. Good luck with her injury.

My dd had a teammate that had a similar injury. She had surgery and returned the next season as a L9

That's good to here! If surgery is an option, I may get back with you to see if you wouldn't mind sharing the doctor who due the surgery.

My cheer daughter had the hip arthroscopy surgery to repair a tear. It was found during a Arthrogram MRI along with a impingement. It was a long road back, 4 weeks non weight bearing, 6 months of nothing but p/t. She was able to modify her tumbling which wasn't as hard being she was cheering. She came back to finish her senior year and then retired.It's a long road back after surgery.. Good luck to your daughter

My cheer daughter had the hip arthroscopy surgery to repair a tear. It was found during a Arthrogram MRI along with a impingement. It was a long road back, 4 weeks non weight bearing, 6 months of nothing but p/t. She was able to modify her tumbling which wasn't as hard being she was cheering. She came back to finish her senior year and then retired.It's a long road back after surgery.. Good luck to your daughter
Oh wow! I'm happy that she was able to come back. Thanks for sharing a glimmer of hope :)

I don't know anything about the medical side of things, but my best advice is just to not jump the gun in assuming what the MRI will find. What the doctor advises is what the doctor advises...until then you can't really start thinking about big questions like "career". Best of luck to you and your daughter...she is 14, she has so much to look forward to regardless of what comes back on the MRI.

I totally get being concerned about your daughters career, given she has reached Level 9 at only 14. However.... The longest gymnastics career ( athlete) is through college. Your daughter needs her body to last a lifetime. That's more important.

My daughter is a 14 yo, level 9 gymnasts and is having a lot of pain in her hip and groin area. Her hip area was uncomfortable for a month or so and last week she went down into the splits and had a more intense pain. She has not been totally off of it, but hasn't been to gym in a week and the the pain has not gotten any better.

Back to the doctor today, more x-rays and he didn't find anything. He has ordered an MRI to look for a tear.

Is a hip labral tear a career ending injury? My daughter is heart-broken, and honestly, so am I.

no, but she'll need to get it repaired. recovery about 10 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back