Coaches Hyper Extending Elbows

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm currently teaching a few girls with elbows that hyper extend like crazy. Teaching them to do push-ups, bridges, or almost anything using their arms seems nearly impossible. I'm really at a loss for what to do with them and I'm afraid they are just going to give up when they are unable to get some of these essential skills. Is there any way, besides braces, to remedy this situation at least a little? These are all rec kids, so suggesting at home exercises probably wouldn't much good, I just don't want to write them off as a lost cause.
Also, one has terrible shoulder flexibility, could this be a related problem?

Make very very sure they're able to get their shoulders far enough past their hands before even attempting a kickover, & instruct them to really use their abs. It *hurts* to get stuck in a weird arch position on hyperextended elbows-that's experience from being a coach and from being a hypermobile gymnast.

They're probably going to need to build more strength to get the same stability & ability to hold those positions. In my experience, chinups & pushups were WAY more difficult than they should have been--we did pushups on progressively lower walls, & used flexed arm hang and chinup reversals---jump up then lower sloooowwwly--for a chinup substitute.

just make sure to work a lot of bent arm strength with such kids.

pushups, pullups, etc. bicep curls aren't a bad idea but rope work besides supinated grip pullups (chinup palms toward you grip)

there are a lot of high level gymnasts out there with hyperflexed elbows but they as well work a lot of bent arm strength work to protect those joints.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back