I did my first Back handspring! and other progress

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

henrik541

Gymnast
HI!
So, I've been a little off from this forum, for a while. I didn't really have much to say, or at least I tought you wouldn't care.
First of all, yesterday I did my first back handspring with spotter (and heaps, after that). We started yesterday only, and I can almost do them alone.
I'm so happy! I tought we would never learn them.
I already have my left splits all the way down, am not training the right ones and need tips on the straddle!

My contortion is going great too, I can amost touch my feet with my hands in a backbend.
I'm so excited!!! Can't wait to go to gym tomorrow! I'm taking my video camera!

YAY! that is great progress that you have been making. cant help you iwth the middle splits because i cant do them either :p

aw yay! good job :) wow, that backbend...makes my body hurt just hearing about it lol. On the straddle you can try straddle over splits and pull throughs. ( this is what my coach said too do.) sit in a straddle, pull yourself in your straddle untill your on your elbows then go flat and repeat.) Good luck!

YAY! that is great progress that you have been making. cant help you iwth the middle splits because i cant do them either :p

Thanks! The advantage of being in a very small club is that you're not divided in levels, so you can try a bit of everything and have a lot of free time and space to practice on your own, so you progress a bit quickly than in some gyms.
And for the middle splits, I heard some people never get them down, but I'm trying to not believe it. :b

aw yay! good job :) wow, that backbend...makes my body hurt just hearing about it lol. On the straddle you can try straddle over splits and pull throughs. ( this is what my coach said too do.) sit in a straddle, pull yourself in your straddle untill your on your elbows then go flat and repeat.) Good luck!

Yeah thanks! I'm still afraid of going backwards without help (with help, too!) but I hope to get over it tomorrow, step by step.
I know, it's a deep back bend, but it's really easy to achieve if you practice a lot (it did took me a long time). I still have a poor form on it. ;(
Once again, about the middle splits: I could try a middle oversplit if I was anywhere NEAR the split. I'm always like 9-10 inches from the ground (8, if I really stretch). But I'll try that pull trough thing! Thanks!

WOW! I've been doing gymnastics for years and I'm still not close to getting my back handspring without a spot!!

Okay, I have great advice for the middle splits!! My problem with them is, when I'm stretching, it hurts my arms because they're holding me up, so I can't stay in it long. Then we did this partner stretching thing at my gym; you don't NEED a partner, it's optional, because I do it by myself and I'm fine. First lay down on your back with your legs in a pike on a wall. Then spread your legs in your straddle and use your arms to push them down.

I hope that wasn't too confusing! Good luck! :D

Congratulations! :)
You can also stretch box splits by sitting in a straddle, and doing side/ forward stretches, while moving your legs further apart. You can also do this against the wall for an extra push...
If you do it 'sliding down', once you get past a certain point you should be able to put your chest on the floor, or alternatively, use your elbows, but lying down gives you a better stretch. Make sure your hips are in line with your feet! :) x

WOW! I've been doing gymnastics for years and I'm still not close to getting my back handspring without a spot!!

Okay, I have great advice for the middle splits!! My problem with them is, when I'm stretching, it hurts my arms because they're holding me up, so I can't stay in it long. Then we did this partner stretching thing at my gym; you don't NEED a partner, it's optional, because I do it by myself and I'm fine. First lay down on your back with your legs in a pike on a wall. Then spread your legs in your straddle and use your arms to push them down.

I hope that wasn't too confusing! Good luck! :D

Thanks, I just tried that one, it really helps!

Congratulations! :)
You can also stretch box splits by sitting in a straddle, and doing side/ forward stretches, while moving your legs further apart. You can also do this against the wall for an extra push...
If you do it 'sliding down', once you get past a certain point you should be able to put your chest on the floor, or alternatively, use your elbows, but lying down gives you a better stretch. Make sure your hips are in line with your feet! :) x

I didn't understand the first one you said, but the second is working, so far.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back