WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m assuming level 8 beam here? For level 8 beam they need the following special requirements.

1. A series of two acro skills, one with flight - the BHS BHS you mentioned fills this.
2. A leap or jump that reaches a 180 split - switch leaps are a very common way to get this in level 8 and up but other common things would be a split jump, split leap, straddle jump etc.
3. A full turn
4. An ‘A’ dismount

These are the minimum requirements for a base level 8 routine. If they are missing one of these it is .5 off the start value of the routine.

Up to level are deductions not start value and are what are considered an up to level routine. The following is what you would need to not receive any up to level deduction at all. As the difficulty goes down the deduction goes up. They have it detailed out for .05, .1, .15 and a full .2 deductions.

Acro:
-Series of two acro, both with flight - BHS BHS works and will be most common
-Two additional acro, one being a B - In level 8 the most common way to meet this would be with a back tuck and a roundoff into a dismount. But you will also see front walkovers, front handsprings etc.

Dance:
-Min 2B and 1A
A split jump is a B
A switch leap is a C, but counts as a B in level 8
Beat jumps, tuck jumps, sissones and split leaps are all As

Dismount:
B acro directly connected to A dismount
Or B dismount
Most commonly you will see a roundoff layout or more dismount or a front layout off the end of the beam is a isolated B dismount.

Hope this helps!

My daughter is repeating level 8 again this year and previously did a back tuck (sometimes a back pike) by itself as a dismount. Is that not acceptable now?

Are there any other changes for level 8?

My daughter is repeating level 8 again this year and previously did a back tuck (sometimes a back pike) by itself as a dismount. Is that not acceptable now?

Are there any other changes for level 8?

An isolated A dismount - front tuck or front pike or back pike or back tuck - would fulfil the special requirement of an A salto dismount but would receive a .1 deduction for up to level.

So it is just a tenth deduction so an easy dismount that gets no deductions might be a better option than if you tried to put a roundoff or BHS in front of it that would receive multiple tenths of deduction.

The requirements haven’t changed so to speak, just the expectations of what the highest scoring routines will look like and a way to differentiate the best from the rest of the pack.

An isolated A dismount - front tuck or front pike or back pike or back tuck - would fulfil the special requirement of an A salto dismount but would receive a .1 deduction for up to level.

So it is just a tenth deduction so an easy dismount that gets no deductions might be a better option than if you tried to put a roundoff or BHS in front of it that would receive multiple tenths of deduction.

The requirements haven’t changed so to speak, just the expectations of what the highest scoring routines will look like and a way to differentiate the best from the rest of the pack.

What exactly does that mean “expectations of what the highest scoring routines will look like”? I thought there were requirements and you had to fulfill them (4 B and 2 A). Did the considerations for As and Bs change?

What exactly does that mean “expectations of what the highest scoring routines will look like”? I thought there were requirements and you had to fulfill them (4 B and 2 A). Did the considerations for As and Bs change?
Actually, for Level 8 it has been and still is 4 A and 4 B. Those are still the minimum requirements. What they did is clarify the "up to level" deductions so everyone would know what to expect from them... and provide more consistency in judging whether a routine is "up to level."

Actually, for Level 8 it has been and still is 4 A and 4 B. Those are still the minimum requirements. What they did is clarify the "up to level" deductions so everyone would know what to expect from them... and provide more consistency in judging whether a routine is "up to level."
But, the way I understand it now, you cannot have a 10.0 routine with only four As and four Bs. You need more Bs because you need two from acro and two from dance, but the you need at least a third B in acro to not get deducted.. and in the dismount.. it’s almost like you need all Bs to have a routine now.

Reactions: sce
But, the way I understand it now, you cannot have a 10.0 routine with only four As and four Bs. You need more Bs because you need two from acro and two from dance, but the you need at least a third B in acro to not get deducted.. and in the dismount.. it’s almost like you need all Bs to have a routine now.
If the "up to level" deductions were applied as judges saw them before this season, you wouldnt have a 10.0 routine with just 4 A and 4 B skills either. You still would have a 10.0 SV though. They are just spelling out what qualifies as "up to the level of the competition" because it is hard when judging the first girl to know what the level of the competition will be. The "up to level" deductions are a maximum of 0.2 so not a HUGE deal in the grand scheme of things (if you took it on all events, you could still have a 39.2 AA).
I DO think that the requirements should state what is REALLY needed and if you actually need 6 Bs and 2 As, they should just say that and get rid of the "up to level" deductions, but I have no control over it.
They want a way to differentiate maximum Level 8 routines from minimum Level 8 routines. People are often complaining on here about Xcel and JO L6-7 ... well, my DD did X skill so she should have scored better than [other gymnast] who "only" did R skill. Like "my L6 did a BWO-BHS on beam so she should have scored better than a girl who competed a Cartwheel."

If the "up to level" deductions were applied as judges saw them before this season, you wouldnt have a 10.0 routine with just 4 A and 4 B skills either. You still would have a 10.0 SV though. They are just spelling out what qualifies as "up to the level of the competition" because it is hard when judging the first girl to know what the level of the competition will be. The "up to level" deductions are a maximum of 0.2 so not a HUGE deal in the grand scheme of things (if you took it on all events, you could still have a 39.2 AA).
I DO think that the requirements should state what is REALLY needed and if you actually need 6 Bs and 2 As, they should just say that and get rid of the "up to level" deductions, but I have no control over it.
They want a way to differentiate maximum Level 8 routines from minimum Level 8 routines. People are often complaining on here about Xcel and JO L6-7 ... well, my DD did X skill so she should have scored better than [other gymnast] who "only" did R skill. Like "my L6 did a BWO-BHS on beam so she should have scored better than a girl who competed a Cartwheel."
I understand the difference between requirements and the up to level, I’m just annoyed by it. Ha! I prefer everything be spelled out in the requirements and the cleanest gymnastics win- I actually prefer the way it is in L6/7 and Xcel.

I understand the difference between requirements and the up to level, I’m just annoyed by it. Ha! I prefer everything be spelled out in the requirements and the cleanest gymnastics win- I actually prefer the way it is in L6/7 and Xcel.
I was more explaining it for others.
I'm right there with you. I think they should spell out the actual requirements for a potential 10.0 routine and the cleanest routine wins.

Does a BWO with a cart wheel/back tuck dismount fulfill the new Level 6 beam requirements? The way I read it it looks like it would be BWO-BwO or BHS. The coach is saying she doesn't need a series but she doesn't have a flight element except the dismount.

Does a BWO with a cart wheel/back tuck dismount fulfill the new Level 6 beam requirements? The way I read it it looks like it would be BWO-BwO or BHS. The coach is saying she doesn't need a series but she doesn't have a flight element except the dismount.
The back tuck is a dismount, therefore it does not land on the beam. She either needs a series in which BOTH skills land on the beam or a flight skill. My YG is currently working on a Roundoff on beam and others are working dive cartwheels (except those that already have a BWO-BWO or CW-CW).

The back tuck is a dismount, therefore it does not land on the beam. She either needs a series in which BOTH skills land on the beam or a flight skill. My YG is currently working on a Roundoff on beam and others are working dive cartwheels (except those that already have a BWO-BWO or CW-CW).
See that's what I thought. But do I go to the coach and say " umm are you sure about that?" What else would be a flight skill? She added some kind of tuck 1/2 jump.

See that's what I thought. But do I go to the coach and say " umm are you sure about that?" What else would be a flight skill? She added some kind of tuck 1/2 jump.
Tuck 1/2 is a B skill... but NOT acro. YG does a Tuck 1/2 as her B skill.

What Region are you in? Some Regions havent had their Congress yet, so the coaches may not be clear on the changes 100%.
We are in Region 5, and our Congress starts 2 days AFTER the first meet that will have some rule changes (Jr. High teams use Xcel Platinum), so HC is counting on me to get her info, lol.

As for going to the coach, it depends on your relationship with the coach. I would have no problem going up to our HC and asking... but more often, it is reversed. She will ask me because she has so many different requirements in her head and sometimes confuses them. I have been at the gym since YG was barely 17 months old (and been a bench coach - coaching from the sidelines unless they are short of coaches since YG was almost 7 years old... so I have been there for about 12 years and 4 months and coaching for almost 7 years).

If you think the coach can "handle" it or would be willing to double check, then go for it and ask.

Tuck 1/2 is a B skill... but NOT acro. YG does a Tuck 1/2 as her B skill.

What Region are you in? Some Regions havent had their Congress yet, so the coaches may not be clear on the changes 100%.
We are in Region 5, and our Congress starts 2 days AFTER the first meet that will have some rule changes (Jr. High teams use Xcel Platinum), so HC is counting on me to get her info, lol.

As for going to the coach, it depends on your relationship with the coach. I would have no problem going up to our HC and asking... but more often, it is reversed. She will ask me because she has so many different requirements in her head and sometimes confuses them. I have been at the gym since YG was barely 17 months old (and been a bench coach - coaching from the sidelines unless they are short of coaches since YG was almost 7 years old... so I have been there for about 12 years and 4 months and coaching for almost 7 years).

If you think the coach can "handle" it or would be willing to double check, then go for it and ask.
We are in Region 8. I'll figure out a way to approach her and ask. I just don't want to look like crazy gym mom! But also don't want DD working on a routine that doesn't meet new requirements. Thanks for the help!

We are in Region 8. I'll figure out a way to approach her and ask. I just don't want to look like crazy gym mom! But also don't want DD working on a routine that doesn't meet new requirements. Thanks for the help!
Maybe mention that you heard from friends who have kids in gymnastics in another stars that there were some changes to the level 6 requirements. Has the coach seen these changes?

As for your question if flight skills for level 6, as far as I know the possible skills are: back handspring, round-off, Duce cartwheel and fronthandspring, and (I think) backhandspring splash down. Not sure the proper and if the last one, but the landing is not too the feet but instead with the body down on the beam.

Maybe mention that you heard from friends who have kids in gymnastics in another stars that there were some changes to the level 6 requirements. Has the coach seen these changes?

As for your question if flight skills for level 6, as far as I know the possible skills are: back handspring, round-off, Duce cartwheel and fronthandspring, and (I think) backhandspring splash down. Not sure the proper and if the last one, but the landing is not too the feet but instead with the body down on the beam.
Back handspring swing down. Its a B.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back