WAG Keeping arms straight in standing bhs! Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SweetSecrets15

Coach
Gymnast
So I've been struggling with standing back handsprings and step-outs for a while and it's just frustrating my coaches and myself. It's definitely not a strength issue (I'm one of the strongest girls on our team which is xcel platinum) So in my back handsprings my arms ALWAYS bend. They bend so much that I usually end up hitting my head. And because they bend so much, standing back handsprings are basically impossible. If I don't step-out I'll just fall onto my head. It's like my arms just buckle. Bent arms also equal zero block. It's really annoying. I do them up onto an 8incher to make sure I'm jumping through my legs, I lock my arms before I go, but I end up on my head every time.

Standing skills have never been a strong suit (I'm not the best at jumping) but I'm determined to get this! I really want to start them on beam!

Thank you so much x

Work on handstand blocks. It does sound like it is partially strength. Work on handstand holds and push ups. Can you upload a video?

I would say it is just a timing issue. Try BH on trampoline, then move to air track or springboard, then on soft mats, then on floor. And only progress if form is good. Swing your arms fast, past your ears, land with shoulders OPEN!

It is just a matter of practice, you can do it!

Bent arms in a back handspring are often not caused by a lack of strength in the arms but by other deficiencies in the technique. When those a fixed the bent arms often magically disappear.

The most common cause for bent arms is a poor take off. If the BhS is undercutting it will be very hard to stretch your arms. You need to make sure you knees are behind your feet and your hips are behind the knees on the take off. Make sure you are. To leaning forward too much when you sit into the skill. Just before take off you should feel a slight sensation that you are going to fall backwards. How long are you BHS's? Put some chalk on your feet and some on your hands and do the skill, see how far away from the foot prints your handsprings are.

Bent arms can also be caused by a lack of flexibility, can you do a nice back walkover?

Video would be helpful. What comes into question are things like shoulder angle, head position, arch position etc. Also, are you jumping up or back?

The problem is your legs are already over your head when your hands hit for the back handspring (or this is a problem that I've seen and experienced that causes bent arms). Work on doing back handspring to HANDSTAND (up onto an 8in or panel mat) and then doing a forward roll or front walk over out. If you hit the handstand and your arms still hit your head then it is a strength issue and you have to work on handstand blocks and tricep strength. One way to better get to the handstand is to jump up and BACK in your handspring, extend the handspring so the distance between your feet when you start and your hands when they hit the mat/floor is longer. Also do them over a boulder or barrell mat that are designed for learning handsprings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back