Parents Kip!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom67

Proud Parent
Judge
My DD is new level 3 and she got her kip today! Yay! She was so excited. She was just about to get it when her bars rotation was over, so her bars coach let her stay there for a few more minutes and she got it. She came running off the floor and tackled me! Then the rest of her team tackled her. LOL It's so cute how excited they get for each other. They went from there to conditioning, and then practice was over. She asked the bars coaches if she could try again after it was over, and he said she could, and she did it again! Woohoo!

Congrats to your daughter! The kip is a pretty important skill!

I was so happy I was there when it happened! I'm not there every day, but just happened to be there today. I'm glad I didn't go get that pedicure I was kind of planning on getting today! LOL

How exciting! My daughter is working towards hers too. How long did it take for her to get it? Any tips that seemed to help her in regard to timing or technique?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using ChalkBucket mobile app

The only thing I've heard her say that her coaches told her was, "put your pants on". Not sure exactly what that means! LOL She did tell me Monday afternoon that she was pushing away from the bar as she was coming up when she needed to pull herself toward the bar. I could tell she was really, really close last week, then she got a huge rip on her hand last Thursday. It had mostly healed by Monday, but then it ripped open again that day.

She got moved to this level in January. They have been working on their kips on and off for a while, but really just started working on them in earnest about a month ago. She was at camp the first week they worked on them, then the gym was closed the week of the 4th of July. They split her team into two training groups, and she was one of just a few in her group who didn't have it yet. A couple of them are repeating the level, so they already had theirs, and then the others got it pretty quickly (there are about 8-10 girls in her group). At her gym, that seems to be the main skill they require to move up to the next level, although they won't do any more team movements until December. Meet season starts in one month.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back