WAG Level 2 Beam Mount tips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! My daughter is really struggling to keep her legs straight on her Level 2 beam mount (while they are swinging to the push-up position). She is getting frustrated and is looking for tips. She says she is squeezing them as hard as she can but they still bend just a little. In general, she doesn't struggle with keeping her legs straight on other skills/events...just this one! Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/drills/advice!

If I'm thinking of the right mount... it takes a lot of strength! It might be that she isn't as strong as she should be in her core so she is compromising by bending her legs. Maybe not. I would work on locking out those elbows and squeezing her core. Work on going as high as she can with straight arms and hollow body and straight legs. Eventually she'll do it. It's probably a matter of time.

Core strength and actually gathering the courage to really swing their legs hard. She should be swinging them higher than the beam so that there is enough time for them to come together and then lower to the beam. If they are barely clearing the beam, there isn't much time to think about keeping them straight.

My daughter is working this skill too. It's fear of missing the beam with her feet, so they bend their knees, without really meaning too, in hopes that it will help get their feet on the beam. My DD went from really bent knees to mostly straight now, but it's still scary for her. Time and practice have definitely helped.

Time, Time, time and practice

Its a beginning level for a reason. :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back