MAG Level 5 Pommel Horse Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

munchkin3

Proud Parent
OK season is over and DS did very well for his first year.
I can't figure out why he is getting KILLED in Pommel Horse ....
scores ranged from 12-13...
His coach say it is terrible.........OK, needs work, but TERRIBLE??

Is the judging in Florida tough? I have seen worse routines on youtube getting 14s!

YouTube - pickletwist's Channel

Thanks !

Gosh. I wouldn't say terrible. He's doing the flairs on the mushroom. I'm not a coach or judge so for what it's worth, I think he looks decent. The big deduction may be the way he closes he legs together on the horse. On the mushroom, it looks like just a bunch of little form breaks to me.

2 steps on dismount, that's 0.2.

dismount is low, so that is .1-.3

his legs are coming together at the bottom of his front support straddle swing. the legs can close but not have the heels tap each other. the legs should stay in a straddle. So that's a deduction, small per swing.

on his circles, he getting nickel and dimed every time for a slight bent knee 0.1. On some of them I see feet seperation and feet being flexed, that's 0.1+0.1

...per circle

his hips are piked in his circles and in his flairs (though he has straight legs), that's another 0.1 per circle/flair.

he wouldn't be getting the 0.3 for virtuosity/amplitude.

from the video, I can't see if it looks like his front leg is slightly bent. one thing with the pommel pants is that sometimes the front leg will look bent even if it's not, especially if they have knobby knees.

Nice MU and kip, btw.

It's the little stuff that kills. All told, I counted about 3pts in deduction so max score would've been 13. Most boys get deducted more on the mushroom than on the horse.

Judging will vary depending on region. More than likely in smaller regions and states, judging is more lax.

Those front support straddle swings take quite a bit to learn. We call them pendulum swings.

We found a strength drill from another club that has worked quite well for improving these.

Gymnast lies on floor on side, supported by elbow. Bottom leg is off the floor about an inch (and stays off the floor - straight). Lift top leg up and down keeping it straight with foot facing forward and not up. Make sure hips are square and top hip does not roll back. Do 10 to 20 per side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back