Managing Dual Citizens in Trampoline & Diving

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We just had a new 10-year-old girl join trampoline, and she is one of the most coachable kids I have ever seen. She is going to lay off practice for a couple of weeks because she has diving nationals next week, and the trampoline is starting to confuse her about technique. She will be back after nationals.

Trampoline & diving do seem to differ slightly in technique, but more so in what they teach when. This young lady is doing 2-1/2 forward piked, and yet we taught her her first twists. It seems they teach big rotation first and twisting later. She came with an arm-set that did not look quite right to me... arms were above her head, but with elbows bent ready to pitch into the forward rotation. In trampoline world, we approach big rotation more cautiously, and get into twisting earlier than they do in diving. The arm set is locked upright, and meant to get the athlete up above the trampoline rather than out in front of the board. We had her trying our usual locked upright arm-set, and she picked it up easily. She learned to kick out and finish arms down as well... but all of this is probably what was confusing her about technique.

So, I need to ask whether I am seeing this distinction between trampoline & diving correctly. Also, does anyone out there have experience with kids that do both successfully? How do you keep these things separate in their heads?

Paul

Trampoline & diving do seem to differ slightly in technique, but more so in what they teach when. This young lady is doing 2-1/2 forward piked, and yet we taught her her first twists. It seems they teach big rotation first and twisting later. She came with an arm-set that did not look quite right to me... arms were above her head, but with elbows bent ready to pitch into the forward rotation. In trampoline world, we approach big rotation more cautiously, and get into twisting earlier than they do in diving. The arm set is locked upright, and meant to get the athlete up above the trampoline rather than out in front of the board. We had her trying our usual locked upright arm-set, and she picked it up easily. She learned to kick out and finish arms down as well... but all of this is probably what was confusing her about technique.
Paul

This is all a minor issue compared to the fact that you have a kid who is doing two sports that require amazing aerial awareness, one to land feet first and the other to land head first... dangerous.

I was going to say something similar to Pineapple Lump, our coaches have expressly told us that diving can come after gymnastics is done, because of the whole concept of landing head first.

It's not the landing that she finds confusing. She finds her feet perfectly well. It is the set that is different. In trampoline, we set to go up and not travel. I'm more worried about her ending up close to the board, or not spinning quite fast enough, after we get done with her.

I've known kids that can keep the two separated in their heads. One of our coaches is doing that now. Diving and tramp are separable because they do things so differently. Divers do twist early and rotate afterwards. We tend to rotate first and twist on the way out. I'm more worried about what happens on the set.

P

Twisting dives are not required in USA diving until the 12-13 age group. I would be careful about playing around with her set.

As I said, she is avoiding us until after nationals next week. Interesting about no required twisting until 12-13. In trampoline world, it's not age but level, and we have 10 year-old level 10s. They are rare but they exist, and although they need to meet a rotation requirement at level 10, the fact that they are there means that they have gone through at least 3 levels that require twisting to get there.

Set wise, it seems to be a non-issue for backwards skills. Arms up is OK. If she stays with us, and wants to compete on trampoline, I cannot allow that forward set with elbows bent and forearms pitching forward. I know she will need to retain that for diving. Please, I am not asking for advice that says don't do it... I am looking for advice on how to manage the two sets and keep her safe in both worlds.

P

Her coaches may train twists and she can compete twists, they just aren't required at her age. Many coaches seem to hold off on twisting. And actually, last year was the first year that it was even required for the 12-13 age group.

I think that is this student is going to work in both sports, you should speak to her diving coach. Even going forward, twisting technique is most likely different.

Although she sounds like a very talented athlete with good air sense, she is still only 10. I think good communication would be best!!

That is good advice that I will heed. Collaborating with her coach(es) is good for a whole host of reasons beyond keeping the girl in question safe. They do a lot of trampoline work for diving at their facility, but I'm sure we'd have some other kids and coaches coming in for training at our gym when they see our setup.

One of our assistant coaches (Jane) dives in Delaware. She was already a level 10 trampolinist before she started diving, but is doing quite well. The new girl was progressing rapidly, and Jane was about to start her on 3/4 back for level 7... two weeks before nationals. I stopped that one; figured it could wait.

P

This is all a minor issue compared to the fact that you have a kid who is doing two sports that require amazing aerial awareness, one to land feet first and the other to land head first... dangerous.

absolutely! the 2 sports DO NOT go hand in hand and should not be done simultaneously.

As I said, she is avoiding us until after nationals next week. Interesting about no required twisting until 12-13. In trampoline world, it's not age but level, and we have 10 year-old level 10s. They are rare but they exist, and although they need to meet a rotation requirement at level 10, the fact that they are there means that they have gone through at least 3 levels that require twisting to get there.

Set wise, it seems to be a non-issue for backwards skills. Arms up is OK. If she stays with us, and wants to compete on trampoline, I cannot allow that forward set with elbows bent and forearms pitching forward. I know she will need to retain that for diving. Please, I am not asking for advice that says don't do it... I am looking for advice on how to manage the two sets and keep her safe in both worlds.

P

you can't! and both you and the diving coach are uneducated on this subject matter. that's the advice. you are playing with matches! that's 3 YIKES!!

safe. that's the point. feet entry only! the step in approach, hurdle and where the arms go (above the head) contribute to head entry skills. simply put, if a gymnast attempts, either accidentally or otherwise, to twist with their arms above their head such as the diver must do, the gymnast will go straight to their head.

this phenomena is not only vestibular but bio-mechanical also. you never hear of a diver leaving diving for gymnastics. it happens all the time the other way. the diving coach can then change the techniques involved for head entry diving. and if they screw up at the beginning, which they always do, they hit WATER. in gymnastics? enough said.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back