WAG More floor music help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I have 2 gymnasts who are quite new to gym. They will be competing the lowest level available, which would compare to xcel bronze with more silver beam. Anyway, they need floor music. They lack a lot of body tension (working hard on that) and they aren't as expressive. Their faces look blank and they don't have a lot of energy to convey to the audience (again, work in progress). What would be some good music for them?

What age are the girls? If they are juniors (11-12) you might want to usd some popular moves from fortnite to get them a bit more excited. Or use over dramatic music, like pirates of the caribbean and have them do some nice (you know, easy) arm movements and maybe a handstand to roll on the belly... Good luck!

One of them is 12 and the other is 14. It's not that they aren't excited for their own routines, they just don't know how to make movements graceful and fluid, they lack the tightness for that. And they are very timid, they don't like to be seen (aka not having a lot of expression). Pirates of the Caribbean might be fun for them. They don't play fortnite, the only 'popular' dance move they do all the time is the backpack kid thing... I don't think I can put that into a routine.

For those cool moves, their handstands aren't pretty at all (again still work in progress, they only started a year ago and are both disadvantaged in strength due to past health issues). Thank you for your help though!

What length are you looking for? If it's lower level and thus a shorter routine, you might try tv theme songs (often 45-60 seconds long).

If they aren't (yet) graceful enough for an elegant routine, but a bit lacking in expression, I would suggest an intense song because while intense is different than blank when presented well, it would at least be less jarring than an upbeat, cutesy, or sassy song. The other option I can think of would be a creepy sounding song - perhaps a bit zombie like so the blankness and lack of crisp movements could be disguised by the theme.

Thank you for all the help! The maximum length is 1:10. Their previous routines (well, for one of them this will be her first competition season ever) were maybe 25 seconds long, and this is their first year doing a floor routine to music. So I would like it to be shorter, to make sure they are comfortable with it and not scared of forgetting such a ''long'' routine

Maybe they might be a bit more comfortable expressing themselves and putting personality into the routine if the music is a soundtrack piece/ theme from their favourite tv show or movie? It might help them get a bit more comfortable with performing because they will be able to 'get into character'. If they have a more fun routine they also won't need to worry so much about lines or body tension, as you can choreograph around that depending on their music :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back