WAG Moving gymnast up a level or staying the same?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Menance0304

Proud Parent
I have a very young competing gymnast(she just turned 8 last month) she competed last year at a level 4 for a very small gym. She is a natural and tends to pick up on things quickly. Last year- was a rougher year after her year of level 3. During level 3 she was placing near the top consistently and placed first AA several times. As a level 4- she is very young and our gym only competes at small meets so all level 4s were combined into one group with no age division. Only a few meets had one split in ages. So she competed against girls quite a bit older than her. Also struggled on bars until the end of the season when she finally nailed both kips in the routine and also on vault until she was able to kick her fear of the table vault . She is a strong tumbler. Has her ROBHSBT, front and side aerials, series tumbles, etc. she is working fly always, will do a back walkover on low beam consistently. He coach has mentioned the possibility of moving her to a level 5 for this season (starting in October- November) I am unsure of the right decision to make. She is so young and I don't want to hold her back but I also don't want her to feel inferior against "big girls"

I would think the coach would largely make that decision. The things that really matter for move-ups are mostly, how consistent are her skills? If she is confident and consistent in most of the major L5 skills (flyaway, clear hip circle, RO-BHS-BT, FT, BWO on beam, vault over the table) in a competition-like setting (e.g. full size equipment, no spot) as you get closer to meet season, she should be fine competing L5. Those are things the coach can probably assess better than a parent.

The things that would usually change that assessment are things like injuries, mental blocks, or competition anxiety. You haven't mentioned those things, so it probably comes down to skills. One thing to remember is that for the gymnast, competition results are a very small part of the experience of doing gymnastics! She spends however many hours in the gym competing, and only a few hours at a meet. The most important thing isn't where she ranks relative to the other girls, but whether she can do the routines with confidence and safety.

i agree, let the coach make the call. nothing wrong with being young in gymnastics if she is ready. there's not a lot of difference (that i saw) between the level 4 and 5 routines. the biggest skill (to me) is the flyaway. don't want her to get bored.

She and I both trust her coach. And her judgements. Her coach has been asking me how I would feel about moving her up and I wasn't sure how I would feel. It makes me nervous especially since she had a rough year last year. We will absolutely follow the coaches judgement just as a mother wasn't sure what opinion to give the coach when she asked me.

One thing to remember is that for the gymnast, competition results are a very small part of the experience of doing gymnastics! She spends however many hours in the gym competing, and only a few hours at a meet. The most important thing isn't where she ranks relative to the other girls, but whether she can do the routines with confidence and safety.
It depends on the child. Some children get frustrated if they regularly don't place. It can cause them to quit or change paths.
At our gym, we want the girls to have some success before moving up. We have an 8 year old (turned 8 this year) that just finished L4. She is up training L5 skills, but is 99% sure to repeat so she can be successful and work on form.

It depends on the child. Some children get frustrated if they regularly don't place. It can cause them to quit or change paths.
At our gym, we want the girls to have some success before moving up. We have an 8 year old (turned 8 this year) that just finished L4. She is up training L5 skills, but is 99% sure to repeat so she can be successful and work on form.

That's sort of the same type of scenario with my daughter. Although she did place on something at nearly every meet. Typically floor and vault a few times. However bars usually killed her AA score! Her bars have came a long way since the end of the season. If only she could have pulled that out a little earlier in the season! Hahah!

There is always the option of doing a few meets at L5 and if it's not going well then drop back down to L4 for the remainder of the season.

There is always the option of doing a few meets at L5 and if it's not going well then drop back down to L4 for the remainder of the season.
This. Or you can start at 4 and move to 5. Believe it or not, there is mobility between 4 and 6....we have seen a very competent level 6 drop to 5 for one meet for reasons that were rather selfish on that team's part (being pc here). The only reason we know about it is because other parents commented on it. I don't keep track of other kids....I have no time, nor energy. I don't even keep track of my OWN during the meet; that would stress me out! ;)

This. Or you can start at 4 and move to 5. Believe it or not, there is mobility between 4 and 6....we have seen a very competent level 6 drop to 5 for one meet for reasons that were rather selfish on that team's part (being pc here). The only reason we know about it is because other parents commented on it. I don't keep track of other kids....I have no time, nor energy. I don't even keep track of my OWN during the meet; that would stress me out! ;)
I had started a reply about starting at 4 and going to 5, but it didn't post, lol.
USAG allows mobility back and forth between L5 and L6 as long as they have gotten the 31 at L5 once, they can continue to go back and forth... Some do it to save an extra session - if they will only have 1 girl in a session, compete that girl as the other level... Or if you NEED her for team score, lol.

My intention in suggesting moving back down was to "test the waters" at L5 and if it's clear she's not ready, move back down to L4 and stay there for the remainder of the season. It's an option many don't think of, but I've seen several girls do it and it turned a struggling season into one that ended with some positives and success.

Huge difference between 3 and 4 competition wise. Many gyms don't even start competing until 4. 4 is much harder.
The then there is the DFK and DFCW. That kip is hard.

I can see both sides.
I lean toward going to 5. If she has the skills, she might be bored. And she can work on form just as easy in 5 vs 4. And as you go up in levels the placements tend to become less. Unless your kid is truly exceptional or the gym holds kids back for placement.

If I was going to hold a kid to give them time, it would be 6 since there is flexibility on skills. JMO.

. And as you go up in levels the placements tend to become less. Unless your kid is truly exceptional or the gym holds kids back for placement.

What do you mean by this? There are the same amount, unless you mean awards might only go out to 50% rather 100%

OP- my DD is always in the youngest age group. As the levels get higher, the highest scorers are in the youngest group, so age isn't much of a factor.
Anyway, DD did decently at L4 & L5. Generally scored low 9s (not including vault).
But she really shined in L7. I'm not sure if it was just because it was her own choreography or she gained better body control.

These decisions don't have to be made now. You've got a couple months !

I think the jump in skill from 4 to 5 is actually pretty big especially on bars. It's not just the flyaway but also the clear hip which is hard to do well and the long hang pullover. If she struggled with L4 bars then that might be a big jump in skill level. With that said it never hurts to see where the summer takes her.

I think the jump in skill from 4 to 5 is actually pretty big especially on bars. It's not just the flyaway but also the clear hip which is hard to do well and the long hang pullover. If she struggled with L4 bars then that might be a big jump in skill level. With that said it never hurts to see where the summer takes her.

I was going to say the same thing. Where is she on the other level 5 bar skills? Did her season just end? My dd finished level 4 in December and has been training for level 5+ since. All the girls already easily have the floor and beam requirements for level 5, except one girl who has struggled a little with fear of the back walkover/back handspring on beam, but she is making a lot of progress too. But there is still a lot to work on for bars, and they all did very well on level 4 bars. They did drills and spotted attempts for months before they were allowed to try their clear hip or long hang pullover by themselves. Although dd's coach was really focusing on getting them stronger and working on form because they are trying to set the foundation for strong level 7 bars. So they did tons of work on their kips and casts and their shapes and bars conditioning before focusing on the skills. That might not be typical though.. Still I've heard scoring on level 5 bars can be tough.

Is she part of a group ? Do you have to decide now? It seems like you have some time to wait and see?

What do you mean by this? There are the same amount, unless you mean awards might only go out to 50% rather 100%
s !

It's my experience that who places becomes less of a given. And yes the better kids will always be better. But as you go up in levels kids drop out, leaving the more talented and/or tenacious still competeing. The late bloomers start to bloom. And the difference between first and say fifth can be less then a point or even half a point. Was at a meet in the last couple of weeks, 7th place on beam started at almost 9.5. Then you add blocks, injuries.......

To base the expectation that because a kid was always first or podium in L3 so it will always be so is very unrealistic.

We had the L 3 that was the podium sweepers.... I knew starting at level 4 that was going to change. Most of the other parents were shocked. Now as they are heading into 6/7/8 for those same parents....It's wow remember when we wondered if they were going to be first or second....... now 6th with a clean routine.... will take it.

We also had the L3 girls who at the bottom of all meets and are totally starting to shine and move along side and pass the former L3 rock stars.

Performance placement at L3 (or 4) doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. Of course winning is better and more fun then not. But if that is the only motivation........ well odds are it won't be a lengthy activity.

Doing the work, the skills are what matters.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back