music for the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm trying to make some new CD's for the gym as we are all sick of listening to Jonas Brothers, Justin Beiber and Hannah Montana! What are some good songs that are appropriate for our mostly young rec crowd. I'm sure they are not going to like my choice in country music! :rolleyes:

I'm so glad you started this thread! We typically just turn on the radio at the gym and all too frequently the music is totally inappropriate for the kids in the gym. A few coaches have plugged in their personal ipods, and while the music is often cleaner, I'm not exactly sure it would be a kids choice. I think someone mentioned the issue with the inappropriate music because we have been listening to the local country radio station much more often, which is totally fine with me, but once again there could probably be some more kid friendly music. The owner can't stand Miley/Hannah Montana, so that's not an option either :rolleyes:.

For gymcoach26, all I've come up with so far are Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. They both have pretty clean lyrics (for the most part), a varied audience, lots of kids know the words, and not so bad for the coaches either. But I'm in the same boat as you are in that I'm a country music listener and am not really familiar with what's popular right now.
Some of the other Disney channel stars have some songs out which are not too bad, I'll admit to liking some of them. Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez have some okay ones. And older songs from Disney movies are always great (Little Mermaid, Lion King, etc.). Disney has also made some newer versions of older Disney favorites sung by current Disney channel stars which are kind of fun. I think they are on the "Disney Mania" CDs, there are a bunch of them.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but I look forward to seeing what other people suggest.

No suggestions, but appreciate the concern. My 8 year old comes home singing some really inappropriate songs sometimes. I know they listen to the radio and some of those songs, geez, I can't even believe they are on the radio! We listen to Radio Disney in the car or she has to listen to Country or my "old" CDs. LOL.

I'm trying to make some new CD's for the gym as we are all sick of listening to Jonas Brothers, Justin Beiber and Hannah Montana! What are some good songs that are appropriate for our mostly young rec crowd. I'm sure they are not going to like my choice in country music! :rolleyes:

I listen to country in my gym! Haha! We've pretty much all grown to be country music fans now... :p

I used to be an American Idol fan (before all the judges left), and I really like David Archuleta's new CD "The Other Side of Down". I think he is a great role model for young kids--he is a very wholesome and down to earth kid (I think he is 19) but his voice is just amazing! His lyrics are also very positive and upbeat.

My kids mainly listen to the radio but also listen to a lot of Disney and Nickelodeon. Victoria Justice has a new cd out as well. I'm an 80's girl myself and love listening to the old college bands and stuff that was big in Europe back then but the kids just look at me and say "What are you listening to??" Kids today--they just don't get it.

I understand your concern. My daughters gym normaly just listens to the local country station also..we are in the south you know..lol. Which I never really had an issue with. My favorite music is country. But one day Kadee came home singing "Its a quarter after one, Im a little drunk and I need you now"...hmm.

Although I agree country is probably the least likely to use curse words..they do still have content that is beyond alot of their levels.

Other than the ones you mentioned, I would also say Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. They are country but with a younger hip hoppy sound.

I cant really be of much help. I never really gave it much thought other than, I guess country in general is better than all the others in general.

It shows that you are truely thinking about the well fare of you kiddos, in every aspect. And that can be nothing but commended

I tried to put together a list of some... My sister is a 6th grade teacher and she has a problem with her students singing Kesha (Tic Toc) non stop which is so not appropriate! Also, there's a children's music section in the itunes store you can browse.

*Glee! I don't know if there are any Glee fans out there, but I love those cds and they have a wide variety of songs.
*Disney mixes! Radio Disney, Disney Movie Soundtracks (search Disney in the itunes store and you get tons of results!
*High School Musical, Camp Rock
*Black Eyed Peas (Where is the Love, I Gotta Feeling)
*Rihanna (Please Don't Stop the music, Disturbia)
*Lady Gaga (Just Dance)
*Whip My Hair (Willow Smith)
*Leona Lewis (Keep Bleeding Love, Better in Time, Take A Bow, Footprints in the Sand)
*Sean John (Down)
*Spice Girls (Say You'll Be There, Wannabe)
*Shakira
*Sara Bareilles
*Fame soundtrack (the new version)
*Taylor Swift
*Rascal Flatts (Life is a Highway, Love You Outloud)
*Owl City (Fireflies)
*Broadway Music! (Wicked, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Billy Elliot,
Mary Poppins, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Hairspray, Annie, Peter Pan)
*One Republic (Apologize, Come Home, All We Are, Dreaming Out Loud)
*OAR (Love and Memories)
*Queen (We Are the Champions)
*Mario Spinetti (Man on the Moon)
*Kelly Clarkson (Breakaway, Since You Been Gone, Where is Your Heart, Listen to Your Heat, My Life Would Suck Without You)
*Pink (So What, Who Knew)
*The Fray (All At Once)
*Jay-Z (Empire State of Mind)
*The Beatles
*Also songs by the Killers, Postal Service, U2, Journey. It's amazing what kids like sometimes!

hey, double dutch bus by raven symone is good, carly patterson has some songs, selena gomez, demi lovato these are all appropriate for lil kids and my age (14) like them especially double dutch bus gets kids going :) good luck

I understand your concern. My daughters gym normaly just listens to the local country station also..we are in the south you know..lol. Which I never really had an issue with. My favorite music is country. But one day Kadee came home singing "Its a quarter after one, Im a little drunk and I need you now"...hmm.

Diddo about the local country station! Country songs can definitely be a little racy though...

Diddo about the local country station! Country songs can definitely be a little racy though...

My dh listens to country and he never really thought about the lyrics until my younger daughter (about 6 years old at the time) pipes up in the back seat, "Daddy, why does tequila make .....(finish Joe Nichols lyrics here)......."? That's when he made a bunch of CD's to play in the car.

My dh listens to country and he never really thought about the lyrics until my younger daughter (about 6 years old at the time) pipes up in the back seat, "Daddy, why does tequila make .....(finish Joe Nichols lyrics here)......."? That's when he made a bunch of CD's to play in the car.

BAHA! That's so cute! :D It's surprising how much little kids can pick up on...

Demi Lavato , Victoria Justice, One Republic, Paramore,and We The Kings . Also check on disney mania they have a lot of good music. Im 13 and I still like disney music.

We purchased Sirius radio just for this reason. Radio Disney has a newer songs that are appropriate for all ages. We do not have to worry about it. When it is just the older girls or we are in the gym working we can blast a more adult station.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back