Coaches Need new clear hip drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We've been working clear hips for months now and they're only sort of getting better. We've done lots in the strap bar, lots spotted, and lots to the wall. Most of them are beginning to come out at horizontal, 3/4 with a spot and handstand spotted on straps. I'm hoping for faster results. Anyone have any magic drills (or just something new) that might show me some faster improvement? Thanks.

Ha! Free hips are hard! Work those toe shoots at the same time. :) How are you spotting them?

Just grabbing lower thighs and pulling. Happy to try a different way if there is a better one.
We've worked sole circles (toes on all the way around), but they don't all have it alone. Is that a prerequisite to a toe shoot? What is the next step?

'We've worked sole circles (toes on all the way around), but they don't all have it alone. Is that a prerequisite to a toe shoot? What is the next step?'
I like sole circles in the beginning for helping teach the girls how to shift their wrists, which is critical for a good clear hip, giant, etc. However, it teaches them more about pulling on the bar, rather than pushing and keeping tension on it, as most skill require. I find that seat circles are a better approach to teaching what they should be feeling and try and teach them as soon after the sole circles as possible. As for a prerequisite, if they don't have at least a good sole circle by themselves, chances are their clear hips aren't going to look too good either.
It sounds like you may be trying for a little too much, a little too soon. It never comes fast enough for any of us though! ;) I don't recommend going for 3/4 or HS for quite a while. There are dozens of drills that I use to mix it up for them, but this seems to work pretty good for me to start with. I spot them in a tight hollow shape on 'baby' clear hips. They don't go much above horizontal and we focus on the shape and shifting of their wrists and doing 3-5 in a row without coming back to the bar. When they can do sets on their own, we then try and increase the height. Keep at it, as they are never easy! :)

Stand on one panel mat between rails, close hand reaching under the bar to belly, far hand goes to shoulder or back of neck. Use the close hand to keep the hips away from the bar and guide pattern of swind, far hand to push to h stand.

Make sure they have the correct shape. If not taught, kids will try to initiate the scooping action with a hollow shape in the belly/hip area, when that area needs to be flat with a hollow chest. I start with a horizontal cast and hold them in this position for a few seconds before I let them drop their shoulders back (at first you will be correcting the position, because they will most likely allow their hips to rise too high).

I like Gymsanity's idea of the seat circle vs. the toe circle to teach pushing, not pulling. If they pull the bar they will shift their wrists from the bicep and bend their arms. They will get nowhere fast doing that.

I'm not sure what drills you are actually using, but I like the standard approach of rotating them in a tight/straight back hip-like skill (no cast) while they push and shift their wrists. When those look good, I pull them off the bar to horizontal height. I don't let them do 3/4 or handstand so quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back