Parents Private lesson ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
So my dd won a 1 hour private lesson with our head coach, who really only coaches the level 10's, in a raffle. She is really excited! She is a level 4 who just finished her competition season and is now training level 5/6 skills. The private will be next week and I'm not sure if they will expect her to come in and choose what event/skills to work on or if he will decide. Assuming she has some input, what do you think makes the most sense to work on? I know 1 hour isn't long enough to really get anything, but I want her to take advantage of the opportunity to work with him.

Bars is her favorite event and she was very strong at level 4 bars. The head coach is primarily a bars/vault coach. She is learning her baby giant and clear hip right now and is close to a cast handstand.

Vault is her least favorite event and she did not do that great on it in level 4. She probably could benefit from help here the most, but really does not want to spend her hour working on vault.

Beam she doesn't love, but she does well on it. She's already doing well on most of the level 5 skills on beam. She even did her first bhs on the high beam (with some mats) today. Plus, dd's gym doesn't really spot on beam so I'm not sure how much she could work on here.

Floor she is really enjoying right now. She just got her front and back tucks, although the front tuck could use a little work. I've heard that he is good at coaching tumbling. Her dream skill right now is a front layout.

So, assuming the coach asks her what she wants to work on, what would you suggest and why? Thanks!

p.s. I know that it's possible she will have no say in the matter, but I have a feeling that he will ask. He doesn't really know anything about my dd and her teammates so I don't think he'll come into the lesson with any plan in mind...

I wouldn't guide her at all. If she gets any input I would just let her choose organically. Whatever she says will be fine. In hour privates my DD typically does two events. It's too long to do one non-stop apparently.

I wouldn't guide her at all. If she gets any input I would just let her choose organically. Whatever she says will be fine. In hour privates my DD typically does two events. It's too long to do one non-stop apparently.

That's a good point, but I think that she might freeze and not say anything. She's 8 and is going through a shy period (which is really not like her normally) and I think she is a little intimidated by him. I just wanted to be prepared in case he asked me. I asked her what she wanted to work on and she said she didn't know. :) I won't say anything unless he asks though.

If he is the head coach, he will (or at least should) know something about her. He will have talked to her coaches. I can't see a HC going into a private lesson "blind" with a gymnast on his team.

I know it sounds strange, but that is kind of how it works at her gym. He's the head coach/owner and really only works with the level 10's. I'm sure he knows the other upper optional girls well, but he does not know the compulsories. They have a separate "head coach" for the 2-7's and today I heard him call my dd over and introduce her to the head coach. Hopefully they talked about what he can work on with her, but I'm not sure. He's a nice guy, but since this was just a raffle she won, I don't think this is too high on his importance list. lol.

Flyaway would be fun. :)

Talk to her about it and have her pick a couple things she wants to work on. That way she is prepared if she gets a chance to pick. Since she going through a shy period, this will help her and if she won't talk when you meet up with the hc, then you have an idea of what she wants and you can coax her through it. Be prepared for her to change her mind though after you announce it to the HC, but at least she will be talking. kids...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back