WAG "Proficiency" definition to move from L3 to L4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tckc

Proud Parent
The guidance I read on the USAG website says that a requirement to move from Level 3 to Level 4 is 75% proficiency. We are pretty new to gymnastics, so can anyone tell me what that really means? Consistently landing 75% of the required skills? Or something different?

Thanks!

It is up to gym interpretation. 75% proficiency either way is 3/4.
Some gyms go with 3/4 of the skills are solid. Some go with 100% of the skills are landed or completed 3/4 of the time.

Many (if not most) gyms are not satisfied with the 75% proficiency at the current level to move up.

At our (lenient) gym, to even move onto the L3 team, you have to have 75% of the skills on each event when tested or have them at least 3/4 of the time in advanced rec class practice (as attested to by the coach of the class) ... then you have 6-7 months to get competition ready. There is no way we would move someone with 75% proficiency on L3 skills to train for L4. The only skills they can be missing from L3 if they want to move to L4 would be a consistent Front Hip Circle, Shoot through, and Mill Circle on bars.

Some gyms may also require a minimum AA score if they compete level 3. The minimum AA score also varies from gym to gym.

I recommend talking to her coach to find out the exact requirements for your gym.

Thanks all. I know the AA requirement for her to move up. It was just something I read that I couldn't find a definition for.

Thanks again.

Thanks all. I know the AA requirement for her to move up. It was just something I read that I couldn't find a definition for.

Thanks again.
Level 3 is not required. Any AA requirement is a gym requirement not a USAG requirement.

The best way to find out what your gym requires is to ask your gym.

And some skills are more important than others.

At our gym there is no minimum score requirement. Kids need to have their L4 skills by the end of summer before the season starts. The thing that holds a gymnast back is usually the lack of the kip. You could have every other skill but no kip, no L4

Translation: (imho):
No kip?
No level four
We had 2 girls moved to level 4 without their kips- although they ‘got’ them, man it was a rough season on bars for both of them. So much harder to get the kip and then also catch up with all the other bar skills they had to now connect to the kip.

We had 2 girls moved to level 4 without their kips- although they ‘got’ them, man it was a rough season on bars for both of them. So much harder to get the kip and then also catch up with all the other bar skills they had to now connect to the kip.
Yes. And getting it on low bar is very different from high bar also. Good point

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back