Parents Proud of DD (and myself) for what we didn't do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gwenmom

Proud Parent
DD had a big meet yesterday. Started out on floor and had a beautiful warm up. Straight legs, pointed toes, tight, great ROBHS. And then when it was her turn to compete, some woman, who I'm pretty sure should have know better, started using flash photography with the flash going right into DD's face (you might have seen my flash photography thread). DD ended up failing on her head during her backward roll to plank, a skill she has had clean forever due to the flash going off right as she started the skill. She ended up with a 7.25 on Floor which is very low for her.

I am proud of her, tho, she ended up going onto vault 9.475, bars 8.775 (her best bars score ever), and a disappointing 7.450 on beam which was consistent with the rest of her team so I don't think they had whatever it was the judges were looking for.

I am proud of myself and DH for restraining ourselves because I seriously wanted to give that woman an piece of my mind. Other than yelling, turn off the flash. I limited myself to a very dirty look and moved on, although it took another rotation and seeing DD recover for me to calm down LOL. Momma bear was definitely out in full force.

My brother will seek out the offenders (no matter where the meet is) and tell them to turn off their flash. He starts with the "I'm going to slit your throat" hand motion... and if that doesn't work, he stands up and looks at them as tells them to turn off their flash... and if that doesn't work, he goes over to them and tells them that they need to turn off their flash. - He don't play around when it comes to flash photography, lol :cool:

My brother will seek out the offenders (no matter where the meet is) and tell them to turn off their flash. He starts with the "I'm going to slit your throat" hand motion... and if that doesn't work, he stands up and looks at them as tells them to turn off their flash... and if that doesn't work, he goes over to them and tells them that they need to turn off their flash. - He don't play around when it comes to flash photography, lol :cool:

Is he available for hire ?

Wow. I totally would have been Mama Bear too! Did the host not announce the No Flash Photography rule when it happened? All the meets we've been to (TN) they are uber strict about it. Before the meet is started, an announcement is made and if someone still uses their flash, another announcement will be made as well as an up-close-and-personal reminder. Hosts don't play when it comes the safety of the gymnasts around here.

Kudos to your DD for recovering so well and not letting it throw her.

Wow. I totally would have been Mama Bear too! Did the host not announce the No Flash Photography rule when it happened? All the meets we've been to (TN) they are uber strict about it. Before the meet is started, an announcement is made and if someone still uses their flash, another announcement will be made as well as an up-close-and-personal reminder. Hosts don't play when it comes the safety of the gymnasts around here.

We are also uber-strict about it at the meets we run. As I mentioned in the other thread, when I'm working the scoring table it usually falls to me to do the "up-close-and-personal" reminder. Which I don't mind a bit. I'm nice about it (as HC/MD would be), but I also make it clear that it needs to stop. The layout of our gym is such that spectators are at eye level with the gymnasts and, in some cases, not very far from them. As a consequence, we have to be strict about this. At one meet the head judge was even complaining to the meet director about a video camera light: not a flash, but a bright and continuous white light.

All meets I have ever been too also announce the no flash photography rule. Sometimes though if I see someone close to me that has flash, I usually say in a loud voice (loud enough for them to hear me) "I guess some people dont know how to listen when they say no flash!" Usually that works. If not, ill go up to them and tell them, or have my DH tell them as im very mouthy so I have to keep my mouth in check, specially as I do not want to disrupt the meet.

While every meet we are at (and the one's our gym and booster club hosted) makes announcements that there is no flash photography, someone always does it. And, honestly, I don't think anyone does it on purpose--they just don't realize their flash it on--and sometimes don't have a clue as to how to turn it off! We had our announcer one year tell people at the beginning of the meet to turn their cameras around and take a picture of themselves--if the flash goes off, they need to shut it off now.

We were at the Metroplex Challenge a few weeks ago and during Lomencia Hall's floor routine a woman in front of me took a flash picture. I think it was an accident. I wouldn't know, though, because I didn't get to see much of what happened after that, including the rest of what I hear was an awesome routine, because of the LSU fans that stood up, walked in front of me, stood in front of me, and loudly explained to the women what she had done wrong.

I know she shouldn't have flashed but.............geez.

Sorry someone messed up your daughter's roll at this meet. I know it's frustrating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back