Parents Pushy crazy parents of famous gymnasts is there any??!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You are so right! I saw that a couple of the Instagram "sensations" had some kind of autograph session at trials! I mean, they are talented girls, but a level 4-5 gymmie shouldn't really have autograph sessions!!

My dd isn't really into following any YouTube gymnasts yet thankfully but several of her older teammates are and they were totally fan-girling all weekend anytime they spotted one. I'm with you, I don't get it at all, but somehow self-made celebrities are in.

You are so right! I saw that a couple of the Instagram "sensations" had some kind of autograph session at trials! I mean, they are talented girls, but a level 4-5 gymmie shouldn't really have autograph sessions!!

Wait, whaaaat? Please tell me you are kidding me.

Why on EARTH would USAG facilitate this nonsense? Especially considering the obvious risks of doing gymnastics at home without the supervision of a qualified coach?

Please tell me you're joking or I am misunderstanding something about what you posted.

Why on EARTH would USAG facilitate this nonsense? Especially considering the obvious risks of doing gymnastics at home without the supervision of a qualified coach?

Please tell me you're joking or I am misunderstanding something about what you posted.

We saw one of the YouTube families in the penthouse suite with the elite reunion. My YDD noticed them a few times over the weekend since we were up there too. She recognized them immediately but didn't ask for autographs or pics. Her emotions flickered from how can they look SO happy when their brother recently passed, to she's not really happy at all- when no ones looking she looks SO sad.. It was too much for my DD either way.

We've already seen USAG show poor judgment by showcasing the little "Ellen" gymnast at a televised meet. They are feeding right into this craziness.

Personally, I much prefer the attention they gave to the young one legged gymnast who is a cancer survivor. I can get behind my dd looking up to her. Other random girls with a video camera and YouTube channel? Eh.

I don't know who facilitated it or whose idea it was, but 2 girls who I think are 6 and 8 who are big on Instagram (who have also both been discussed on this board) definitely had an autograph session at a booth in the convention center.

Reactions: sce

Another poster said they saw them in the convention center. If that's the case, they were at the trade show that runs with congress, at a booth for a private company(leotard manufacturer, gymnastics equipment, etc). Not there at the invitation of USA Gymnastics.

But who makes decisions about the trade show? I don't know how USAG works, but at all organizations in which I've participated, the host of a convention has approval power over vendors and booths. I suppose it could be that a vendor invited them -- but if I were in a position of authority with USAG, I might take a look at this and start thinking about policies for the future.

If they were invited by a vendor, I'd be quite curious to know which one.

The money machine at work.

Sadly those little girls are a cash cow for their family. Just like child actors were, they are the new generation of Shirley Temple's.

Shirley Temple was, by and large, not risking repetitive stress injuries, broken bones, paralysis, or possibly even her life to achieve her fame. :( Yes, these are all risks for every gymnast -- we know this even if we don't like to think about it. But those risks are so much higher for the Instagymmies doing skills at home in an unsafe environment with Mommy cooing behind the camera in the background. I just want to tie them all to chairs and make them watch about three hours of footage of kids peeling off bars, having weird beam falls, and having tumbling go horribly wrong.

The higher level stuff definitely evokes some strange reactions in me, so Alys parent writhing around looks silly, but I totally get it. I hide behind my camera so you can't see too much, but I don't know how I will handle this season...or next....or if there is a next one!
There always will be parents that are too crazy to handle sports and their kids.....they will weed themselves out in time. If the kid manages to stay in, then they risk their relationship with their child.....
But I guess really crazy parents aren't thinking of their relationship.....they are thinking of winning- and training-
I still don't understand how parents think it's safe to let a 3/4 year old try back handsprings and bridges! There is a new kid that pops up in Instagram....about 3?? There was one a few years back and he was Teeny too, but I don't see him anymore.....

the two in question are "ambassadors" for many brands, but were doing a meet and greet for the Chalk Up app. They were also promoting matching teddies on the flight in, and both hawk leotards, shorts and general clothing constantly.

I am assuming they were comped the trip by the app company.

The younger one has been signed up by the Shine agency, is homeschooled and does many privates at gym, she is the one I worry about most as the older one at least has school as a normalising infulence in her life. But they are definately working, no matter how the mums dress it up, not having fun.

the two in question are "ambassadors" for many brands, but were doing a meet and greet for the Chalk Up app. They were also promoting matching teddies on the flight in, and both hawk leotards, shorts and general clothing constantly.

I am assuming they were comped the trip by the app company.

The younger one has been signed up by the Shine agency, is homeschooled and does many privates at gym, she is the one I worry about most as the older one at least has school as a normalising infulence in her life. But they are definately working, no matter how the mums dress it up, not having fun.

I'm with you on that one...she seems to be quite talented too (especially for a 6 year-old)! It would be a shame to burn the poor girl out before she even reaches double digits!

I'm cracking up at one "insta" parent whose child just got nominated for Level 7 MSO athlete of the year and she's all " wow, I wonder who nominated my kid?" when we all know good and well that she did! :rolleyes:
I am pretty sure Lauren is instrumental in hand picking all the kids for MSO.

"Bummer for them that the parents have ruined their ability to compete NCAA. Pretty sure they are not going to the Olympics, but college may have been possible down the line. I'd feel terrible it I had made that decision for my children at that age"
I never realized that...seriously college would be off the table? My goodness what have parents done...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back