WAG SAT or Conference meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnast123

I found out at practice today that our last meet of the season, the Conference meet, is on the same day as when I am to take the SAT. :( My SAT will probably end at 12-1 ish, and walk in is at 2. It'll take about an hour to get from the testing center to the hosting high school. My coach said that i could come afterwards, but i don't know if i would make it in time for walk in. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if you guys think its worth it to rush to the meet, probably late, or just skip?

I think I would say go to the meet, you'll be looking for a fun way to release some of that pent up energy after sitting and stressing all morning. Good luck!

I would encourage my daughter to go to the meet after completing the SAT as well as she is able.
I would do the same. Do both, but don't stress about it - you'll arrive when you arrive and stressing during the test or in traffic won't make anything go faster. Just accept it and enjoy the meet.

I would agree with the suggestions above, UNLESS you think that having the meet immediately after your SAT's will be on your mind while you are testing. Doing well on your SAT's should be your first priority, so if you have ANY inkling that the meet will in any way compromise that, then I say let it go. I'm assuming that, since you're a gymnast, you have pretty good focus, so it's probably not an issue, but if it is, then err on the side of the SAT.

Both of my DD's (including my gymnast) were pretty "fried" after coming home from the SAT's. Both fell asleep on the sofa for several hours. I realize everyone is different, but I know my DD's would NOT recommend trying to compete at a meet after enduring SAT testing. In fact my gymnast scatched a meet for her SAT's & her coach was fine with it. Her coach agreed that education comes 1st. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would personally NOT want my DD to do the meet. SAT test is way too important to have anything interfere. Thinking about a meet and wondering or stressing out would interfere with the SAT test. It is a stressful test and a lot could depend on that score. Just my 2 cents ;)

I think it depends on if this is the last time you are taking the SAT. If it is, I would not go to the meet. If you know you are taking them again and this is more of a practice run to get a feel for them, then I would have no problem with having a meet after. But you have to be ok with the notion that you WILL be late for the meet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't know your personality at all, but I know with my daughter it wouldn't be worth it. She'd be thinking about her meet and having to rush to it during her SAT and not concentrating, Then she'd be tired and stressed about being late at her meet--and not do her best. I'd go with the most important of the two events--and 95% of the time that is obviously the SAT (the other 5% is if it's your State or higher meet--then I'd move to a different time for the SAT even if you have to drive further for a time).

Whatever you decide, good luck!!

I never remember standardized testing to be such a big deal. I woke up, wandered into the testing site, took the test and left.

I got the impression she wouldn't be competing, she said she wouldn't be getting there until march-in which, if it's a high school meet, happens after event warm-ups. Though perhaps I interpreted it wrong?
I think I went directly to work after taking the SAT and then went from there to a church activity 2ish hours away along with a handful of other kids who had just taken the SAT. But I guess everyone is different. I also didn't study for it at all and kind of looked at it as- "what will be will be." So perhaps I'm not the best to give advice on this issue... (Though I did do well and was accepted everywhere I applied.)

I also didn't study for it at all and kind of looked at it as- "what will be will be." So perhaps I'm not the best to give advice on this issue... (Though I did do well and was accepted everywhere I applied.)

I was the same way. I took the ACT without an extra second's worth of studying. My high school girlfriend's best friend put 30+ hours into a study program. I scored a 32. She scored a 16. I've often wondered how much of the difference was me being relaxed vs. her being stressed.

There's my off-topic post of the day.

Just like a meet, there's no reason to stress about it. By the time you get to the test, your preparation is over and done with and can't change. Answer the questions and move on. If you were not well prepared, well that's a problem that occurred prior to the test itself. The test is simply an assessment of your preparedness.

I don't know your personality at all, but I know with my daughter it wouldn't be worth it. She'd be thinking about her meet and having to rush to it during her SAT and not concentrating, Then she'd be tired and stressed about being late at her meet--and not do her best. I'd go with the most important of the two events--and 95% of the time that is obviously the SAT (the other 5% is if it's your State or higher meet--then I'd move to a different time for the SAT even if you have to drive further for a time).

Whatever you decide, good luck!!

I think that just having it being an option would pull focus from the SAT.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back