MAG Scoring Change

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

jenjean70

Proud Parent
My son had his mock meet this past weekend and I was surprised at the scores. I found out that in level 7 the same vault he did last year used to have max value of 13+ (that's the bonus vault) and this year it has a max value of 10...The non bonus vault starts at a 9.5. Also all of the events start at a 9.5 and then the bonus is added in...last year it was a 10.0 + bonus. The judges don't have the option of giving "virtuosity" to special routines like they did in the past...so in essence each event's maximum score in down 7 tenths except vault which is down over 3 points. It will be interesting to see how he scores at his first meet against gymnasts from other gyms.

It is going to be a change. Not quite like 4 years ago, when we went from scores in the 15s to scores in the 11s, but a change for sure. There is still virtuosity for each event (I think .3), and the bonuses (like 1-2). But it is going to be lower for sure!

We have our first meet on the 10th. D is doing JD at that meet, because there isn't a L9 session. After that he will be a 9, so this will be practice I think. It will be interesting to see how things play out!

It is going to be a change. Not quite like 4 years ago, when we went from scores in the 15s to scores in the 11s, but a change for sure. There is still virtuosity for each event (I think .3), and the bonuses (like 1-2). But it is going to be lower for sure!

We have our first meet on the 10th. D is doing JD at that meet, because there isn't a L9 session. After that he will be a 9, so this will be practice I think. It will be interesting to see how things play out!
Our coach talked to the judge and he told me no virtuosity, not that it affects my son because he doesn't have "pretty" gymnastics, but if that's the case then it's only .5 difference in scores. The first few meets will be interesting for sure! My son was a level 4 when the scores went to 16...It has taken me 4 years to understand these scores, I guess it will take time to get used to this scoring....Next year he should go 8 for sure so that scoring will be a lot different anyway. :)

Yeah..scoring is interesting from year to year, meet to meet...event to event lol.

The scoring guide for JO says there is virtuosity. That is all I can really go on.
Base Score 9.5
Identified Virtuosity .3
Stick bonus .2
Specified Bonus (.5 each) 1.0-2.0 based on level.

So each level can get as high as 11 or 12. level 7, with everything can score a 12. But that is down, as you said, .7 from last year.

Optionals...I never try to figure that out any more...

The compulsory base has been lowered by .5 and the .2 "discretionary" bonus has been removed. I think vault values we're lowered to not overly weight them against the other events. (might be under-valued now) The committees make a sincere effort to balance the potential (avg, good, superior) scores across the events to not introduce bias. For instance, all FIG vault values have been lowered this quad to bring those scores into line with the reduced element group values on the other 5 events.

KRC

Reactions: sce
I think the difference is that there is still .3 virtuosity but only on specific skills. As KRC points out, it is the .2 "I just really liked that routine" bonus that is gone.

A judge explained it to me last weekend as you start with 9.5 base routine + .3 specified virtuosity + .2 stick bonus = 10. That's it for Div 2. Then for Div. 1, you add .5 per bonus. So L6 has 3 bonuses for a max of 11.5. L7 maxes out at 12.

It's really no different from how everyone else explained the scoring, but for some reason, her way of laying it out finally clicked for me after two years of being rather fuzzy on scoring and max scores, etc. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back