Parents So do they give actually individual awards at your meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Brats

Proud Parent
Even in the lowers levels? Here they seem to (so I've only been to one meet, allright) only do "places" for the teams.... they bring out the podium and award first, second and third to the teams but the individual girls just get a colored ribbon depending on what their scores were... blue for over 9.0 or a 34.0 AA, etc. I don't have a clue where dd placed individually on any events or AA, but I know a lot of people list what place their gymnast got. Is that normal? I think they may do that here for L6 and above but I don't think it's typical for L4-5.

At every meet we've ever been to, they place the girls individually and in age brackets (7 & under, 8 yr. 9yr, sometimes even 8a/8b etc. if the groups are large). The smaller meets may choose to place everyone out, the larger ones usually do either 1/3 or 1/2 out in the age brackets. So, if there is- 20- 9yr olds, and they're placing 1/3 out in events, then 7 girls will get placement medals. Almost all meets place at least 1/2 out on AA. So at the example meet, 10 would get medals or trophys for AA.

The large meets will usually have a website that will also list results. Then,even if your dd didn't place in the top 1/2 at the meet, you can still go online later and look up how she placed in her session. I really like when they put it on the website.

I've never heard of a meet, unless it's a practice meet or a learning meet or maybe level 3 & under, that doesn't place kids as individuals. Granted I've never watched level 3 & under meets, as we don't compete those levels at our gym, but maybe they don't do placements, idk.

We're from OH, but compete in OH, IN, and one meet in FLA. Hope that helps out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our L1-L3 has the gold, silver, bronze medals awarded by AA scores (34 for a gold, etc.)

Once you hit L4 it goes to individual awards in age brackets like ohio gymmom was talking about.

Same thing here in Virginia re: placements of individiual awards. EXCEPT at Sectional meets for Levels 4 and 5. That those meets (where they're trying to qualify for their respective State competition). They get called out for Bue (36.00 AA and above), Red (35.00 and above), and so on. The girls are called in order of their scores, but there are no "first", "second" and so on placements. It sure does make the awards go much faster!

went to a meet in WA that Levels 6 & up got individual awards out to 6th, but for levels 4 & 5 they only did AA out to 3rd place, but then they did something they called "judges awards" to some individuals.

Where do you live? Here in MInnesota it's against our state USAG rules to flash scores or do places for level 4 (first level of competition here in MN). At level 5, they can't do places, but give ribbons if you scored within a certain range of scores (so a blue ribbon is like 34 and above or something--then red, then white, etc--I THINK--its been a few years, so I don't remember the exact progression).

Maybe your state is similar??

Wow, I just realized my question sounded really illiterate. Sorry. I was tired.

Where do you live? Here in MInnesota it's against our state USAG rules to flash scores or do places for level 4 (first level of competition here in MN). At level 5, they can't do places, but give ribbons if you scored within a certain range of scores (so a blue ribbon is like 34 and above or something--then red, then white, etc--I THINK--its been a few years, so I don't remember the exact progression).

Maybe your state is similar??

Yes, we're in North Dakota so I'm sure it's very similar since we cross over for competitions frequently. They do flash the scores for L4 but the other stuff sounds the same... ribbons within ranges. There were L4s and L5s in our session and it was the same for both.

I like the idea of not flashing scores at L4, as Cathiann said...
I sometimes kind of wish it was that way here!;)

Our L1-3 all get a ribbon based on score - blue is 9.0 & up, red 8.0-8.9, white 7.0-7.9, and yellow is 6.9 or lower. They also do local meets only - no travelling involved. At L4 they can either stay with the local group or move to the travelling team. If they stay with the local group, the awards stay the same, although the gymnasts are given an actual score instead of just a ribbon. If they move to the travelling team, it follows a more traditional USAG format with gymnasts broken down by age until (L7??).

This is our first year; my dd is L3. I really like the format as it is giving her a really enjoyable way to get her feet wet with competing while having a lot of fun!!

Did that make sense?

In our state Level 4 boys are achievement only. Last year when they were still on the 10.0 scale it was blue for 9.0 and above, red for 8s, and white for below 8.0. AA was gold for 54 and above, silver for 48 to 53.9 and bronze for below 48.

For the girls they do do placements though. Frankly, I think it would be nice if all compulsories were achievement only.

In our state, for L4 and 5 all girls get participation ribbons on each event. 9.0 and up is blue, 8.0-8.99 is red etc. That is mandated by the state association. After that, it is really up to the host gym as to how they want to do awards. Some do individual for each age group and event/AA. Some do just AA. At states, all the girls get a large ribbon for AA with color based on their score. They also give medals to the girls who place higher.

All the meets we have been to had individual awards. about half of them do the ribbon thing. I like the individual awards. Even if it's 16th, DD loves to get medals.

Snowbound

Here in NJ they usually award/place out to about 1/2 the group. Sometimes it is medals and sometimes just ribbons. We go to on meet in NY where the girls get a ribbon right after they compete the event, and then can still get a medal at the awards ceremony. That was nice last year when my DD was first starting out to get SOMETHING! I love some of the themed meets where they get customized medals!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back