WAG Sometimes I wonder...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
If we are in the right gym. Dd started gymnastics at the age of 6. She went through all the levels. 2,3,4 and now skipping to 6. Dd scored really well at state. 38AA at level 4. She had a ok coach, and we did privates (I know...omg) every week with the owner of the gym. we had to do privates since she was in level 2 every week because of the lack of coaching consistency in this gym. Mind you there are about 17 gymnasts at lv4 and only 1 coach. My dd worked hard at 4 because head coach said girls have to get 37 above to move up. Come to find out couple weeks ago that almost all of the 4s are going to move up to 6. Only 4 girls got 36 aa at state as a 4. Most of the girls are not ready to go to 6. My daughter is not even ready, I want her to do 5. But the gym doesn't offer 5. I'm worried that 6 is going to make her gymnastics worse because now LV 6-9 practice the same time. 27 gymnasts with only 1 coach! And optional coach doesn't push girls, if they do it good, if not, oh well, kind of personality. I wonder if I switched to another gym, would it be the same? I really don't know because we have not been anywhere else but this gym. This gym doesn't have consistency in coaching and management. I want a good gym for my daughter. Good enough that is going to train her good and let her have the best potential. I am so lost right now...

If I do switch... I'm worried about my daughter. She likes her gym and her friends. But as a mom, I know she's not getting the best.

Also, I'm tied for the season since I fully paid booster already! :(

If I do switch... I'm worried about my daughter. She likes her gym and her friends. But as a mom, I know she's not getting the best.

Also, I'm tied for the season since I fully paid booster already! :(
So they won't refund your money if you leave? Isn't that illegal?

5 and 6 are the same, give or take a few things. In my opinion 6 is actually easier.

But not if don't have the skills
For 6, right? I mean, my dd can do a back over but not really solid on the BHS on beam yet. Coach said, that for them to score good on 6 they have to have a bhs on beam, and cast handstand on bars. Which my dd doesn't really have yet. And most of the girls can't even do a bwo on beam and can barely cast over horizontal.

Yup! The gym only has 1 optional coach. And the head coach/owner comes and goes and does other things with other levels And classes.

24 kids and 1 coach? Not only won't she learn anything but that isn't safe! Are there other assistant coaches running other stations? Or is there truly one coach on the floor with all those girls?

24 kids and 1 coach? Not only won't she learn anything but that isn't safe! Are there other assistant coaches running other stations? Or is there truly one coach on the floor with all those girls?

1 coach for 24. Other coaches does other levels. Like right now, they have 14 LV 4, 1 coach, 18 3s with 1 coach, 20 2s with 1 coach. And then they have classes, with 1 coach but owner helps with classes a lot more than teams. Owner/ head coach looks over everyone at the gym, but is not really there to coach the entire level the whole
Entire practice.

Sorry, I miscount. 24- theres 24 optionals levels 6-9 with 1 coach

That is insane!!!! At our previous gym, we had that happen with my dd in L4. That season the top score was 35. So no! New gym, 1 coach to 8 gymnasts. There's no way with 24 gymnasts that the coach can spot them all on new skills plus correct details. I think if be shopping around for a new gym. Don't worry about your dd so much, they acclimate.

But not if don't have the skills
For 6, right? I mean, my dd can do a back over but not really solid on the BHS on beam yet. Coach said, that for them to score good on 6 they have to have a bhs on beam, and cast handstand on bars. Which my dd doesn't really have yet. And most of the girls can't even do a bwo on beam and can barely cast over horizontal.
Many girls score well in beam at lvl 6 without the bhs.

since our move my DD now has a gone from 1:13 (and a disinterested one as well) to a ratio of max 2:11 and normally 1:4, she has come on leaps and bounds, the girl that was "uncoachable on beam" yesterday connected BWO BHS and is doing aerials, FWO and working back tucks.

Move.

Sometimes coaches excaggerate expectations/requirements so their gymnasts work harder. Sometimes coaches let kids move up even if they don't meet the requirements yet but see them being able to do the skills by meet season. So I would not take their going back on their word as particularly negative. The 1 coach to 24 gymnasts is. As far as your gymmie loving her gym, if you do your homework, she will love the next gym also. I'd check out other gyms. Research the gym, have your daughter workout with the team. Interview the coaches and find out their philosophy.

Have you or can you expressed your concerns to the owner? Give her the opportunity to explain herself. However, if you really think the coaching is not good, I'd switch now. My daughter was 11 years old and in Level 9 when she switched from a gym she had trained at since Level 4. She cried and was honestly so sad for at least a month. She missed her friends and the coaches. But she got over it and loves her team and her coaches a thousand times over.

Scores don't matter. Good coaching matters. And to be a good coach you actually have to be able to coach all the kids. You could still be a bad one coaching only one kid, but even a good one needs time to see and work with all the kids.

The ratio of coach to kids is reason enough to move.

since our move my DD now has a gone from 1:13 (and a disinterested one as well) to a ratio of max 2:11 and normally 1:4, she has come on leaps and bounds, the girl that was "uncoachable on beam" yesterday connected BWO BHS and is doing aerials, FWO and working back tucks.

Move.
Yee hah!!!!

It's amazing that your dd was able to score 38's in L4 with a coaching ratio of 17:1. I think that shows a lot of talent and hard work on her part. I do think she will be ok in 6 without BWO and cast to handstand, around here you don't always see a lot in L6 with both of those. Most can cast pretty high but don't make it quite to HS.

A ratio of 27:1 with no assistant coaches or stations like a previous poster mentioned is absolutely ridiculous. I would get out now b/c your dd still has time to get accustomed to a new gym, and with better coaching I think she would do extremely well in L6. I would chalk up the booster fee to a lesson learned and get out of there as soon as possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back