Parents Spin off of Press Handstand - Parents what can you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

txgymfan

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Twice since I have been on CB we have had parent skill contest. The submissions were on video and VERY funny. The winner did a full turn on beam. Submissions could be submitted with blurred faces and or shot neck down. Bog and other Mod's should we revive the contest? I volunteer to be a judge.

Even if we don't have a contest. Parents or other CB relatives, have you ever tried to copy gymnastics moves? What can you do? If you won't show us ( I understand that) please tell us. Trust me when I say that I haven't even done a forward roll in a few years. I tried one with a friend's toddler once and am embarrassed to admit I thought it was hard.

So before the seriousness of the competition season please share your skills with your fellow CB families and give us all a much needed chuckle.

A handstand is about as far as I go these days. Sadly DD is amazed that I can even do that. I am also trying to learn to do a full turn on a baby beam. DD is my teacher and it is kind of a lesson in if you keep trying long enough you will gradually get there. It didn't start as something worthy - it started as her laughing at my attempt. But I am stubborn so one day I WILL do it.

In my head I can still do all the skills I could as a 10 year old, plus a few more ;).

I haven't actually physically tried doing any of it for over 10 years. I prefer to live with the belief that I *could* do it, should I want to. Rather than face the
likely reality...

Hmm.. it would be funny with the videos, but probably should be announced a couple of weeks before so we have time to hurt ourselves. :) For my skills front roll, ugly back roll, handstand against the wall. I did pretty much the whole last year's level 4 beam routine on the low beam (although my attempted hand stand would make my life insurance pull my policy).
Our gym has sporatic open gym, so I told my DD that one day I will go with her and attempt a squat on jump to the high bar, to which she replied something along the lines... Thanks god I know how to dial 911. :p

I have been disposseed of all illusions that I can do what I used to. Too much weight now means I can no longer take my weight on my hands.

My goal is to loose 4 1/2 stone (about 60 lbs) and then surprise P&F by showing her the old girl can do stuff.

I might consider it if you included an "over 55 and not dunno" for coaches. I have a nagging suspicion he's still got game. Oh yeah, the entrants to that division would be required to have either tendonitis or bursitis of a at least one major limb joint, or internal scar tissue from a torn ligament and/or a catastrophic muscle tear.

I doubt it will narrow the field of entrants because there's always the implied right to either exaggerate, or minimize to nil ones age and medical status......

One more thing....... it absolutely and categorically false that an oxygen tank will handicap a person, because they'll fake they need one, and suck down 80% oxygen and 20 % vaporized Red Bull while wearing it....... right up to dunn....errr.... hrumph.. the contestants closing tumbling pass.

Within the last year I have retired my cartwheel. Every year or so DD would say I couldn't do it, claim she didn't remember asking the same darned thing the year prior.While I landed it, I recognized that there were parts of me being used that I had awoken from their hibernation since my last attempt, and the next time they just might not rise to the occasion.

And my attempt to actually get onto the high beam with other meet directors during setup last May told me never to do it again :)

So much for being 30+10+ something!

Within the last year I have retired my cartwheel. Every year or so DD would say I couldn't do it, claim she didn't remember asking the same darned thing the year prior.While I landed it, I recognized that there were parts of me being used that I had awoken from their hibernation since my last attempt, and the next time they just might not rise to the occasion.

And my attempt to actually get onto the high beam with other meet directors during setup last May told me never to do it again :)

So much for being 30+10+ something!
We had a parent do a round off to show off for her daughter one year. The next several months were spent in a cast...broken leg. Oops!

I can handle some of the dance elements on floor (full turn, leaps and jumps, chasses etc.), and I could probably do a hollow jump or a half turn on beam .... but not much else. I have never done gymnastics, ever! I can't even do a handstand or a cartwheel - I HATE being upside down and always feel like I'm going to fall on my back. I am not very flexible anymore either.

Well, I'm a preschool gym coach so there are some things I have to be able to do. I can do a decent cartwheel (but don't ask me to do my bad side, yikes!), a very nice forward roll, I can walk and do turns on the balance beam. My straddle and pike hangs are pretty decent, and my front support and casts are good. That's about it, and I don't look nearly as cute as my students executing these, lol!

I used to work at my kids old gym so occasionally after practice I would play around with the kids before we left. I (at 47) can still get within an inch of my splits (good leg), and do a pretty decent cartwheel! When trying a roundoff, I kindof went flying onto my butt, (when I did gym, no spring floor!!)

Never being a gymnast, just a dancer....I'm still good at dance skills. I have an occasional cartwheel on beam. Nothing fancier than a handstand forward roll!

There's a local gym that allows adults to participate in open gym, so I did last summer with DD. She was very impressed I could still do my cartwheel on the high beam and some round off backhand springs on floor. No way could I do a kip anymore but I did do a couple flyaways into the pit. Not bad for 30, and considering I quit gymnastics at age 16. Oh and I was SO sore for a week or so after and my wrists were killing me.

I am very impressed. Some clubs offer adult classes, you could take one for fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back