WAG State or sectionals-what's the difference?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SurpriseGymMom

Coach
Proud Parent
Please bear with the newbie to competitive gymnastics!!
So I was discussing comp season this morning with some of the other parents (whose daughters competed last year) and the subject of sectionals came up because our gym is hosting one this spring.
Sectionals is different from state, right? I understand you have to qualify to go to state (a 32 score, I think, for lower compulsory levels).
Do you also have to qualify to go to sectionals? Is sectionals a part of state? I'm hearing all these terms and having a bit of a hard time keeping them separated and figuring which is which or if they're part of the same thing..!
Sorry for the silly question, I figured it's something that I can get the answer to here rather than going and asking the coaches. :)

in our state, you have to make a certain score at a meet designated a "sectional" in order to qualify for states. If the meet is not designated a sectional, the score doesn't qualify a gymnast to states.

Yes you need to get a certain score at an invitational to qaulify to sectionals then at sectionals need a certain score to qualify for states for levels lower than 9. In Nj the handbook on the website has info about qualifying for sectionals and States so I imagine your states does too. It may help answer questions that will come up. Of course the CBers will also help you navigate theses waters too :).

In our state, you have to meet a certain score (I believe it's 30 for the lower comps) at a preliminary to qualify for sectionals. This season we have 3 preliminaries. You only need to meet the score once out of those 3 preliminaries to get to sectionals. At sectionals, you need a qualifying score of 32 to get to states.

Each state sets their own rules for this, so it can vary depending on what state. Your state may have a link on their website that explains the rules for your state. Some states do not have sectionals at all and for those that do, the qualifying score can vary based on the level and the state.

Thanks, that does clear it up quite a bit. I will check our states qualifier scores for the sectional... It would be great if she could compete the one meet we wouldn't have to travel to, lol!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back