Off Topic Toe growth plate?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
DD hurt her foot today in the gym. I took her to one of those "express" medical centers since it was 6:00. They did an X-ray, said they didn't see a fracture but they would have their radiologist look at it. Said it was most likely just a bruise. However, as we were driving home we got the call saying that the radiologist saw a fracture in the growth plate. They said that they would refer us to an ortho, but that they didn't think they'd be able to do much for a broken toe growth plate. She's just in an ace bandage for now and they just said for her to take it easy till she gets in to see the ortho. They seemed fairly laid-back about it... Said she was unlikely to damage it further by using the foot. Anyone have any experience with this kind of injury? Last year when she broke her foot she left the office in a boot with crutches, so this totally different attitude about the growth plate injury has me a little confused.

My experience is that an ortho might have far different recommendations than an express center or ER doc. How soon can you get her to the ortho? And as aside--our local large ortho clinics (two of them) just started walk-in clinics recently! Went there without an appointment or a referral and got a diagnosis from an ortho and an appointment with the "expert" ortho on that body part the next day. That NEVER would have happened before (before I would have called for appt, would have been given a date two weeks ago, then had the regular doc call and get it moved up to 5 days later). Anyway, that's off subject.

Hope her toe heals fast! And at least she'll still be able to do bars...

She is seeing the ortho tomorrow. Talked to a team parent with a medical background and she said she should be in a boot. We tossed her yucky boot from her last foot injury. Not sure if it's worth getting one from a medical supply place for 24 hours? This parent also said that it's possible that the growth plate is just open and not fractured. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

I'd wait until tomorrow on the boot. Would keep her out of doing gymnastics until then too. My DD had a shoe, not a boot with her broken toe as she didn't need the ankle stabilized, just the toe.

Xray was inconclusive as to whether there's a fracture or not, but she's in a boot for 4 weeks just to be safe. She says her foot hurts less walking in the boot than it did in her shoe, so that's a good thing, at least.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back