Parents TOPs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What has been the norm for typical cutoffs? Once there do they test and then put into A/B if they perform well. New to all this. What is diamond?

In the past years, or at least when my daughter did TOPS, not everyone who made it to national testing at the ranch in October, got a spot on either A or B. It is my experience that maybe the top 50% make it to either A or B. From what was explained to us at the ranch, they only have room/staff for 60-70 gymnasts per camp. So, typically the top 70 gymnasts and their coaches make it to A and all their expenses are paid for by USAG. The next 60-70 make it to B. But B campers and their coaches have to pay their way, flight, camp fees and room and board. Diamond applies to the 7 year olds. They are the top scoring 7 year old that make the cut off score. They are not invited to the camp but their coaches get a free ride to the camp. They get a sweatsuit.

It is so much fun and nerve wrecking during TOPS season. They removed 11 year olds two years ago and started inviting 8 year olds. So, my daughter only participate as a 9 and 10 year old. So, we are still going through TOPS withdrawal symptoms. At least I am. I just love the sport and all the excitement it brings. Good luck. I hope everyone at least gets to go to the ranch.

In the past years, or at least when my daughter did TOPS, not everyone who made it to national testing at the ranch in October, got a spot on either A or B. It is my experience that maybe the top 50% make it to either A or B. From what was explained to us at the ranch, they only have room/staff for 60-70 gymnasts per camp. So, typically the top 70 gymnasts and their coaches make it to A and all their expenses are paid for by USAG. The next 60-70 make it to B. But B campers and their coaches have to pay their way, flight, camp fees and room and board. Diamond applies to the 7 year olds. They are the top scoring 7 year old that make the cut off score. They are not invited to the camp but their coaches get a free ride to the camp. They get a sweatsuit.

It is so much fun and nerve wrecking during TOPS season. They removed 11 year olds two years ago and started inviting 8 year olds. So, my daughter only participate as a 9 and 10 year old. So, we are still going through TOPS withdrawal symptoms. At least I am. I just love the sport and all the excitement it brings. Good luck. I hope everyone at least gets to go to the ranch.

Very well put!

If the numbers are down that much do you think that the whole TOPs system might be revisited. For instance might they ditch the TOPs B camp or will they keep that because it raises money against the National TOPs team camp (A camp).

Everyone is reporting tiny numbers for all ages of testers and mostly the same testers at each test.

Just to clarify, many keep assuming the highlighted portion to be true which it is not. The fees paid by the B camp goes entirely to the B camp. Nothing goes to supplement or pay for any fees of the TOPS A camp. As explained at the ranch, for the ranch to cover the expenses to run a B camp, they need 60-70 gymnasts. Those that make it to the B camp pay approximately $500-$600 per gymnast. It still costs money to run the B camp. They have the same number of national coaches running the camp, the same number of camp days, same accommodations and food as the A camp. In addition, it would not be right for the USAG to have another set of gymnasts pay for the expenses of other gymnasts.

Anyone get any word on the cutoff scores for nationals? We heard it would be this week but our coach has yet to hear anything.

Good luck for those who are waiting. Sounds very stressful. We do not have tops testing in CAD.
Not sure what we have which would be similar.

And the Diamond list is out. Congrats to all the Diamonds!! And great job to all. Hey if your 6/7 and can do more than 1 press you sparkle in my book!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back