Trouble Kicking Over From Backbend

TheDoctor

Gymnast
Mar 21, 2019
Country
USA
Hi, I need some help! I'm not actually a gymnast but a competitive cheerleader. I need some help being able to kick over from a backbend. I've been trying but nothing works. I know that I am not locking my arms, but I just can't kick over.

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

kaitlyn.L_gymnast

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Mar 21, 2019
Country
USA
Moving my feet in towards my hands more in my backbend really helped me get that extra kick off the ground. Some people also try rocking in their bridge to help them kick over, although it really comes from time so practice it over and over again until you get it. You got this!

Annikins

Proud Parent
Aug 16, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Start doing it with your feet on a step, before trying it on flat floor. Also really stretch your shoulders as that's often why people can't kick over. Hth.

backflipruby

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Aug 24, 2017
Country
Australia
Think about pushing your armpits forward over your hands and start on a block and work down to the floor. Good luck!

AliyaFan76

Gymnast
Fan
Apr 7, 2019
Country
USA
Think about pulling your hips over your shoulders and looking at your hands. Visualizing also helps with it.

Gym Geek

Gymnast
Fan
May 29, 2019
Country
USA
I’m sorry if this reply is too late...
First, try elevating your feet on a step or block when you kick over. You could also try rocking back and forth in your bridge to get more momentum, but your coach may want to eventually see it without the rocking. When you attempt to kick over, make sure to press fully through your toes, too. With practice at home and at cheer practice, you should get it.

kitadia

Banned
Banned
Coach
Former Gymnast
Feb 8, 2020
Country
France
I’m sorry if this reply is too late...
First, try elevating your feet on a step or block when you kick over. You could also try rocking back and forth in your bridge to get more momentum, but your coach may want to eventually see it without the rocking. When you attempt to kick over, make sure to press fully through your toes, too. With practice at home and at cheer practice, you should get it.
helped me get that extra kick off the ground. Some people also try rocking in their bridge to help them kick over, although it really comes from time so practice it over and over again until you get it.

kitadia

Banned
Banned
Coach
Former Gymnast
Feb 8, 2020
Country
France
helped me get that extra kick off the ground xender discord omegle . Some people also try rocking in their bridge to help them kick over, although it really comes from time so practice it over and over again until you get it.
helped me get that extra kick off the ground. Some people also try rocking in their bridge to help them kick over, although it really comes from time so practice it over and over again until you get it.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!