Parents Uh oh... slow twitch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CLgym

Proud Parent
Got a progress update from DD's gym coach today (she just turned 7 and is competing L3 routines this year in an Xcel program). Lots of positives (great strength, very good technique in her basics, constantly making small improvements, motivated, etc.) but also included this: As far as weaknesses, her biggest one is her quickness. She has very slow reactions to things that involve jumping, running, leaping and punching with her feet, which will make it really difficult for some of the things that require a lot of power later down the road. I've been doing plyometrics for warm up and vault involves a lot of pylos, which will be important in trying to develop that quickness that she has trouble with...

I previously stumbled upon some info re: slow and fast twitch muscle fibers on this forum, and understand you can't change or make more of one kind or another. But can there be improvement? And if so, what drills/exercises are recommended?

We are realistic about gymnastics (no olympic dreams here), but DD absolutely loves the sport and has already committed a great deal of time and energy towards gymnastics. Can she still be moderately successful even if she leans towards the slow twitch-ing side of things???

Thanks in advance for input.

Yes there are successful slow twitch gymnasts. They are often very good at bars and beam and the dance aspect of floor, but not as good with tumbling and vault. While you cannot change the genetic make up of the muscle fibers, there is a percentage of fibers that are somewhat neutral and will act as either slow or fast depending on how you train them. So if you train them correctly, it will appear as if the athlete has gained fast twitch muscle, because the neutral ones are reacting as if they are fast twitch. Just make sure she isn't doing any endurance training.

Also, with training, one of the things that athletes improve is their ability to activate a greater percentage of the muscle fibers. She won't get more fast twitch muscle, but she'll learn to use what she has more effectively. She's only 7, she'll definitely improve.

Yes there are successful slow twitch gymnasts. They are often very good at bars and beam and the dance aspect of floor, but not as good with tumbling and vault. While you cannot change the genetic make up of the muscle fibers, there is a percentage of fibers that are somewhat neutral and will act as either slow or fast depending on how you train them. So if you train them correctly, it will appear as if the athlete has gained fast twitch muscle, because the neutral ones are reacting as if they are fast twitch. Just make sure she isn't doing any endurance training.
Wow this is my DD exactly. Her coach said she not "slow" but sort of on the slower side of muscle twitch. She is very good on beam/bars/dance elements of floor. Struggles w vault and does fine but not amazing on tumbling.

She has been state champion for two years in a row. So I do think slow twitch can hold their own, just in a different way than a fast twitch (who often have problems in other areas).

At 7 my daughter was told she was "slow twitch." 6 years later she has more power than she knows what to do with. Take any assessment at that age with a grain of salt. They're still figuring out how to work their bodies half the time.

From everything I have read on here it sounds like my older DD is slow twitch. I don't think one of her coaches knows what that is because she is constantly confounded about the disparity of how lovely my DD looks on some elements (like floor choreography and beam) while her BHSs (although a world better than they used to be)- and tumbling in general- still do not meet the gym's desired level of power and perfection. I can see it exasperates the coach whenever they are on a tumbling rotation. My DD isn't headed towards elite or anything close, so I just let her do her thing, her way, and leave it to her and the coaches to figure out how to maximize her potential. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

This is all good news. Thanks to everyone who responded. We won't be packing up those leos anytime soon :)

I think DD is on the slower side for a gymnast, but she's hanging in there so far, competed level 8 last season as a 11-year of, so not a hot shot, but moving through the levels about one a year. She's struggling to flip her vault (competed a twisting vault last season), but has decent tumbling, and new gym's vault coach says her yurchenko will be competition ready this year. In other words, yes, keep the leos handy, you could be in this for the long haul.

^Yup. Slowish twitch L10 dd here. Beam and bars and dance are her strong suit, and she has lovely control and form on these events. Tumbling and vault have always a thorn in her side. She is a much better twister than flipper. She is extremely strong, just not fast and powerful. I believe that the development of her overall strength, starting with TOPs and with years of good conditioning, has helped her immensely to keep up.

And fast twitch is not a guarantee either. Mine is no question on the fast twitch side (coaches say it - even I can see it), but you need many other skills that don't necessarily relate to the twitch (visual perception, flexibility, grace, et al). She's an explosive vaulter and tumbler, but has also historically been very good on bars as well. The fast twitch definitely helped move her along (she's L9), but hard work was as big a factor. As long as you're not aiming for the Olympics, some of the most important attributes will be things like focus, dedication, and other intangible skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back