WAG University of Michigan assistant coach arrested

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is an 18yo college freshman...this makes me sick to my stomach.
I realize at 18 kids are legally adults, but he's almost 40 and she's a freshman- its predatory behavior.
And WHY is he allowed to resign- why not be fired as he clearly violated their policy.

Yes bog...this was against the policy. they do not allow staff members to have relationships with students. Firing was appropriate. The relationship , while 'icky' was not illegal. what tehy were doing in public was.....

Yes, he should have been fired. And yes, it’s against university policy and a total misuse of his status/power over her. His poor wife and children as well!!

He would have been fired. He was suspended as soon as found out and under disciplinary review when he resigned. He would have been fired at the completion of the investigation. There is a process that must be followed before firing, especially by governmental agencies.

According to Michigan consent laws, "Michigan statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under age 16. The age of consent is raised to 18 when the older party is an authority figure. In addition, sexual relations between teachers and students of any age is illegal." She was also 17 when she started her NCAA career.

According to Michigan consent laws, "Michigan statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under age 16. The age of consent is raised to 18 when the older party is an authority figure. In addition, sexual relations between teachers and students of any age is illegal." She was also 17 when she started her NCAA career.
Where did it say that she was a gymnast? I very well could have missed it. If she wasn't a gymnast and he wasn't her teacher, then it wouldn't be illegal, however gross it is.

Where did it say that she was a gymnast? I very well could have missed it. If she wasn't a gymnast and he wasn't her teacher, then it wouldn't be illegal, however gross it is.
This article doesn't name her but others have since she was also arrested for indecent or obscene conduct in public. She is a sophomore on the team.

This article doesn't name her but others have since she was also arrested for indecent or obscene conduct in public. She is a sophomore on the team.

I was really hoping that was not the case. I would think it was suspect either way personally but I'm worried that the social and emotional fallout will be that much worse for her with this level of entanglement.

The fallout will be huge all the way around. The story has been picked up by several major media outlets. It’s a career ender for him (it better be anyway). More than likely the end of his family unit as he is married with 3 children. He deserves every bad thing coming, but his wife and kids don’t.

Think about the impact of a situation like this on a team. The trust amongst them is totally broken. They’re down a coach. I’ve heard some different stories about the perception of some that she is an “adult” and is just as culpable as he is. I adamantly disagree. She arrived on campus last year as a 17-yr old and even now is barely into the ‘legal’ zone under a normal circumstance. But this isn’t normal. He’s in a position of power over her and that changes everything. I read elsewhere that her family has hired an attorney.

The whole thing is sickening. I don't care that she is barely 18, this is abuse pure and simple. He was in a position of authority over her- he could cause her to lose her place on the team! You can't possibly convince me that she was capable of saying "no" to someone like that. This really makes me sad that Michigan has coaches like this- not to mention quite wary about them. If he was doing this, what else is going on there?

The fallout will be huge all the way around. The story has been picked up by several major media outlets. It’s a career ender for him (it better be anyway). More than likely the end of his family unit as he is married with 3 children. He deserves every bad thing coming, but his wife and kids don’t.

Think about the impact of a situation like this on a team. The trust amongst them is totally broken. They’re down a coach. I’ve heard some different stories about the perception of some that she is an “adult” and is just as culpable as he is. I adamantly disagree. She arrived on campus last year as a 17-yr old and even now is barely into the ‘legal’ zone under a normal circumstance. But this isn’t normal. He’s in a position of power over her and that changes everything. I read elsewhere that her family has hired an attorney.

I really hope they have an attorney. This charge could impact her future chances of employment, right? For example, being a gymnastics coach. I don't know for certain but I'm not ready to say she shouldn't so I hope that the outcome will be fair. I understand that legally she may be equally culpable and I don't know either party but my inclination is to suspect she was heavily influenced by this guy. There's obviously a power imbalance.

I really hope they have an attorney. This charge could impact her future chances of employment, right? For example, being a gymnastics coach. I don't know for certain but I'm not ready to say she shouldn't so I hope that the outcome will be fair. I understand that legally she may be equally culpable and I don't know either party but my inclination is to suspect she was heavily influenced by this guy. There's obviously a power imbalance.

Is there anything legally that can be done due to power imbalance? If lawyers can prove that, could they get charges dropped for her? I guess I don't understand the legality of it all. I completely understand the grossness of this situation given their ages and the amount of power he had over her as a coach, but in the court of law would anything hold up? @profmom can you enlighten?

Is there anything legally that can be done due to power imbalance? If lawyers can prove that, could they get charges dropped for her? I guess I don't understand the legality of it all. I completely understand the grossness of this situation given their ages and the amount of power he had over her as a coach, but in the court of law would anything hold up? @profmom can you enlighten?

I really have no idea. You would certainly hope there could be some contributing factors.

I am so close to pulling my kids out of this sport. It really seems to be rotten. They can do anything else. Why are we all still here? UGH!

Because I am a good person, my coaching friends are good people, my coaching son is a good person. We aren’t getting rich, we give up our nights and weekends because we love teaching your kids. I love his sport, I love teaching little girls to fly. I am disgusted by what is going on in my profession, many of us are. We did a happy dance when Penny was arrested and we are hoping there are more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back