Parents Update on Struggling DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AgingHippie

Proud Parent
Hi All! Well I guess my post is not going to magically appear so I am starting a new one to give you some updates. I have watched a few practices now and thought they all looked like any normal practice would and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

It does look like DD is struggling with the back tumbling aspect of L5 but out first meet is not until December so she will probably be ok by then. She has been talking a little bit more in the car some nights and here is what I am getting, some of it does sound like gym and some of it sounds like those pre-teen hormones kicking in.

" I wish I would have started when I was younger, at this rate I can't repeat any levels if I am going to go the Olympics" - No I did not tell her she has no chance whatsoever of going to the Olympics. I focused on repeating a level is not always a bad thing.

"I am the fattest kid in the gym" I had to try not to laugh at this one. She just turned 10 and is literally in size 4/5 children's shorts without an inch of fat on her body. She is very muscular so we talked about that as well.

"Everyone has the back tuck on the real floor but me and everyone else is allowed to try a flyaway with a spot but me; she won't even let me try." (She did cry on the way home about this one) Again I told her not to compare and that she is grouped with all girls that are returning 5's or spent two years in 4. She wasn't buying it so I just went with be patient you will get it.

Our gym, is one that requires a 36 to move out of a level so I think she is stressing out about that already even though the meet season has not started. It's kind of maddening. I also asked about her coach and she did get an attitude as soon as that came up and told me she likes the coach just fine.

She also let us know that she wants to play basketball this winter. My initial reaction (in my head) was absolutely not. When she saw I was a little reluctant she explained she misses seeing her friends. I am still not sure this is a great idea but the coach of the Bball team she would be on is a good family friend and said he would get a practice time on one of the two weeknights we do not have gym practice and he is OK with her missing most of the Saturday games. If it is an early Sat game she can go before practice and if it's not a meet weekend she can play in all the Sunday games.

I am a little nervous this may be too much for her but if she decides she doesn't want to continue with gymnastics at some point I think it will be good for to have some exposure to other less intense sports. (I have read on here and heard from other moms the new L5 is kind of the make it or break year for some little gymmies). Then again this could be the worst idea in the world. Only time will tell but I'm pretty nervous about it.

That sounds like things are going fairly well. It's great that she's talking.

I would let her play basketball. If she continues with gymnastics, in the next year or two, it will be all consuming. Now's the time when she can experiment with other sports.

That sounds like things are going fairly well. It's great that she's talking.

I would let her play basketball. If she continues with gymnastics, in the next year or two, it will be all consuming. Now's the time when she can experiment with other sports.
I signed her up for basketball last night so we are in. I was afraid she would start to resent gym if she couldn't do other things. It's good to hear other parents agreeing with me though. Every other parent of a non gymnast just thinks I'm insane for even considering it.

I personally feel the new level 5 is insane. My dd is happy to be done with it. And for some bizarre reason, it seems level 6 is easier. None of this makes any sense to me...I just drive the car and try not to look ignorant when my dd assumes I know what she talks about!

My daughter was in the same spot not too long ago, struggling because the other girls has self-taught back tucks from playing on a trampoline. Mine didn't. She couldn't do things at practice that involved the skill she hadn't yet learned.

She had her flyaway and lost it after starting to hit her feet on the high bar.

She was spotted on that skill at two meets but now has it down well and her to robhs back tuck looks great.

She will get it in time.

One of to hardest things to learn is to not compare to teammates. What one does well another may struggle with. Strengths/weaknesses even out across the team.

Glad you are having her do it, I think it is so important to listen to our children! She may very well still be very passionate about gym, but this option gives her a chance to "have it all" again, so to speak, before push comes to shove with this insane sport.:D

I personally feel the new level 5 is insane. My dd is happy to be done with it. And for some bizarre reason, it seems level 6 is easier. None of this makes any sense to me...I just drive the car and try not to look ignorant when my dd assumes I know what she talks about!

I have hear from a lot of people L5 is harder then L6. Hopefully she can get our 36 this year and move on.

Think its a great idea to give bball a whirl -its very hard to get teenagers to try a new sport so this is the time for her to have a try☺

Its also great to have her opening up to you as well☺-maybe broach the personal ( achievable ) goals and get her to formulate some?

Youre doing a great job OP-to think we thought once we had them out of nappies it was all downhill LOL

Hi All, I posted something in the social forum but then remembered so many of you that have spoken with me here can't get to me over there, so here is a cut and paste:

We had our first L5 meet this weekend and it feels great to have that under our belts. This was a pretty low scoring meet and DD took 3rd place AA with a 34.9. That is pretty low for this neck of the woods.

She had a personal best on beam with a 9.5 and it was the first time I saw her do her beam back handspring which was not nearly as scary looking as I imagined it.

She also did her flyway on bars for the first time unspotted. She landed it for about 5 seconds and then fell on her bum. It almost looked a toddler fall when they are learning to walk. She ended up with a 7.85 which was the 3rd highest score on her team. The highest score at the meet was 9.0 so not to shabby for someone who didn't have her flyaway the day before.

Overall a pretty good meet and now we have quote a few weeks off. January is a bit crazy with three meets so I am looking forward to the breather.
_______

She also had her first two basketball games this weekend and it looks like defense if her thing!

Thanks again for all your support and advice.

That's so great AH!! And proud of you for making it thru the BH on beam (I will not even be able to look when the time comes!) so I'm dying to know how your girl does BB?! Sometimes I wish I could get my girl onto another team (just so she can see what's out there while she's doing gym) but practice eats up all our free time - does she do some sort or rec team for bb or is it in school? Just wondering how you swing it?

Oh my goodness- I'm sorry/ I just read your update/ had no idea about all the b4 posts!! Ok now I see & that's so cool that she can do both!!!

That's so great AH!! And proud of you for making it thru the BH on beam (I will not even be able to look when the time comes!) so I'm dying to know how your girl does BB?! Sometimes I wish I could get my girl onto another team (just so she can see what's out there while she's doing gym) but practice eats up all our free time - does she do some sort or rec team for bb or is it in school? Just wondering how you swing it?

We lucked out with bball. It is rec. My girls are best friends with a set of sisters and the grades match up. So both families have 5th and 7th graders.

My DH and the BF's Dad already coached the 7th grade team and they liked it so much they decided the 5th graders should play too and that would coach that team as well. Since they are coaching they were able to set practices on Mon & Wed which are the only two days we don't have gym.

This weekend was a little nuts. On Sat she had a game at 8:45 and then practice from 12 to 4:30. On Sunday the meet was in the morning and she had a game at 4:30 but so far so good!

Sounds like a great start to the season for her. Awesome on beam and the flyaway. Glad doing both gym and bball is working out too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back