Parents USAG vs. USAIGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jar854

Proud Parent
Gymnast
I'm sure this has been answered before but can someone please tell me what the difference is between USAG and USAIGC. I think my daughter's coach is going to suggest she move to USAIGC because she is not getting her skills (repeat new level 4) and I just don't understand the difference to help my daughter not feel discouraged. She is willing to have another mediocre season, she understands that she is not the best at gymnastics but she absolutely loves it and doesn't want to give it up. She is 10 years old. She really has the right attitude.

USAIGC is similar to Xcel/ Excel/ Prep-Op in that there are no compulsory routines. Every routine is custom designed for that gymnast's strengths. Where it differs from Xcel is that it is possible to compete different events at different levels. The levels are: Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Premier. Also, in USAIGC, it is the coach that determines when an athlete can move up - not a score. Since it is a college bound competitive program, it is designed so girls peak around junior or senior year. Here is some info about the levels:
USAIGC COMPETITIVE LEVELS – A Gymnast can start at any Competitive Level. Current Placement is the responsibility of their Coach based of the gymnasts’ skill mastery.

1. Copper Level: Primary competitive entry level for our Recreational Gymnasts with no prior competitive experience. Copper is a skill restrictive level. The Gymnasts follow the recommended USAIGC/IAIGC policy of long-term skill development for the mastery of the basic core skills as well as developing strength, flexibility and conditioning. Recommended Practice Time 3--‐4 hours per week based on the numbers of gymnasts per team, amount of available equipment, number of coaching staff.

2. Bronze Level: Beginner level for gymnasts with basic competitive experience, and who have successfully competed as a Copper Level Gymnasts and/or who have a basic skill level from another competitive program. Bronze Level is a skill restrictive level. Gymnasts who have the necessary skills from other competitive programs may begin on the Bronze level. This decision is based on the gymnasts’ skill competence, strength and the long--‐term developmental plan that the Coach has established for the gymnast. Recommended Practice Time 5-6 hours per week based on the numbers of gymnasts per team, amount of available equipment, number of coaching staff.

3. Silver Level: Gymnasts who satisfactorily competed in the Bronze Level may move into the Silver level when their coach feels they have mastered the necessary skills to compete safely on this level. Gymnasts who have the necessary skills from other competitive programs may begin on the Silver level. The decision is based on the gymnasts’ skill competence, strength and the long--‐term developmental plan that the Coach has established for the gymnast. FYI: No Regional Qualifier from any other gymnastics program should be in the Silver Level. Recommended Practice Time 6-8 hours based on numbers of gymnasts per team, amount of available equipment, number of coaching staff and level of the athlete.

4. Gold Level Gymnasts who have satisfactorily competed in the Silver Level may move into the Gold level when their coach feels they have mastered the necessary skills to compete safely on this level. Gymnasts who have the necessary skills from another competitive programs may begin in the Gold Level. This decision is based on the gymnasts’ level of skill competence, strength and the long--‐term developmental plan that the Coach has established for the gymnasts’. Gold Level gymnasts will be “seasoned competitors” with a minimum of 2--‐ 5 years in a competitive program. Time Recommended 8--‐10 hours based on numbers of gymnasts per team, amount of available equipment, the number of coaching staff and level of the athlete.

Platinum uses modified NCAA rules and Premier basically uses NCAA rules.

You can find more information here:
http://www.usaigc.com/SitePDFs/USAIGC CODE FINAL w-CHART.pdf
If she would be doing New Level 4 USAG, I would guess that she would be a Bronze level - specific Bronze information starts on page 21.

Is is possible to go to USAIGC and then go back to USAG or once you make the move you can't go back?

Is is possible to go to USAIGC and then go back to USAG or once you make the move you can't go back?

Yes, they can switch, as far as I understand it. For a couple of years, our gym had some girls doing USAG and USAIGC simultaneously.

There is a gym in town that uses USAIGC the way our team uses Excel... as a lower-hours option for those who want to compete but want it. At that gym, there was no changing streams that I was aware of. If your daughter ultimately wants to continue to do USAG, I would have a conversation with the coaches making sure they know this and making sure this is an option once she gets the skills needed to move up to the next level. However, since she will get to have her own routines, her own music, etc. USAIGC may end up being more fun for her and still allow her time to participate in other activities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back