WAG Vault Table Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it normal for a coach to set a requirement setting they want everyone to vault at? At our gym, they want the new 4's (old 5's) to vault on 2. DD can do the vault on 0 at her private lessons. (her coach claims she doesn't touch her and just stands there) She is 4'6 and could probably do the vault on 2 but is scared. Thanks for reading.

At the level that my daughter competed last year, the girls had different settings. The shortest gymnast was right at 4-foot while the tallest is a little over 5-foot. And I believe that if a girl was struggling at a certain setting during warm up, the coach would adjust their setting down.

Depends on the gym. Up through L7 at least at my DD's gym, all the girls at the same level vault at the same height setting, even though the girls come in various shapes and sizes. Not sure what happens at L8 and above.

They adjusted the table for my DD's L5 team last year. Some were tiny, at barely 4 feet tall, and we had others over 5 feet tall. They usually lined up the girls by vault setting during practices to avoid moving the table more than necessary.

I know my small DD started vaulting at "smash" (below 0, I think?) then went to 0 and finished the season vaulting at a 1.

That's a tough one from a coaches point of view. The vault table is no picnic to adjust up and down, so for the sake of efficient time management, we unfortunately can't always set it to each child's perfect setting during practice (meets we do). With each group I have, I will set the horse to the average height for that group. Yes, it will be a bit like the Goldie Locks thing of for some it will be too low, some too high, and others just right. The same applies to bar settings as well. I find the girls to have no problem with it, and I like the fact that it forces them to adapt to different situations/conditions and to become more mentally flexible. For the ones that feel that the horse is too high or the bars too far, I have no problem spotting them until they are comfortable with it. The girls usually enjoy the challenge, and rightfully so feel very accomplished afterwards. I wish your DD good luck.

We set it for level over here - so pink & fluffys group vaults at 110 cm

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't know about for practice, but for meets they adjust it.
Also, for her practices, they currently are divided by size within her level. So the taller half of the team practices together and the shorter half of the team practices together. I would think that makes it easier to have settings that will work for everyone, even if they aren't constantly changing them.

Is it normal for a coach to set a requirement setting they want everyone to vault at? At our gym, they want the new 4's (old 5's) to vault on 2. DD can do the vault on 0 at her private lessons. (her coach claims she doesn't touch her and just stands there) She is 4'6 and could probably do the vault on 2 but is scared. Thanks for reading.
==
It is better for a child to vault up then down, even if it harder. It assists them in learning to stand up taller on the board. All of my kids vault higher during most of the off season and during warmups at meets. Just trust you coach, it's not like the vault isn't padded.. EDIT, FOR HANDSPRINGS

Frankly, IMO the coach is lazy if they aren't willing to adjust the the table. Our coaches just have the girls who vault on 0, 1, 2, etc., grouped together for practice, like kayjaybe said. It is not uncommon for them to practice at a higher setting, then set lower for meets.

Frankly, IMO the coach is lazy if they aren't willing to adjust the the table. Our coaches just have the girls who vault on 0, 1, 2, etc., grouped together for practice, like kayjaybe said. It is not uncommon for them to practice at a higher setting, then set lower for meets.
==
Yes we are lazy,,,, or perhaps we just know what is best for a gymnast to progress. again, vaulting up for handsprings is better. I have 7 year olds doing handsprings on 2 or 3 every day, then lower it down at the end of workout for final 2 vaults.

My daughter is training L10. Ever since L8 her group have all vaulted on the same setting (7) I am not sure why but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The only thing I ever see them do is adjust the number of springs in the board. They range in age from 11 to 14

Just be happy they get a choice around here the height it set by age, they can go higher but not lower.
For 9 year olds (argo) its 105cm, 115 cm, or 125 cm.
For 10 and 11 year olds (tyro) its 115cm, or 125 cm.
For 12 and up (novice and open) it is 125 cm.

==
Yes we are lazy,,,, or perhaps we just know what is best for a gymnast to progress. again, vaulting up for handsprings is better. I have 7 year olds doing handsprings on 2 or 3 every day, then lower it down at the end of workout for final 2 vaults.

do a search here on CB...I know you are new, but this topic has been covered before, and several coaches have said they adjust the table for gymnasts. Pretty sure a very frequent, well-respected poster said as such...but, to each his own.

We don't have a required setting for our girls that go over the vault. It just so happens that they all prefer to vault on the same setting. The littler girls vault on one setting and the bigger girls on a higher setting. This makes it much easier for us coaches :)

do a search here on CB...I know you are new, but this topic has been covered before, and several coaches have said they adjust the table for gymnasts. Pretty sure a very frequent, well-respected poster said as such...but, to each his own.
==
why do I need to search a web site to attain information that I already know. To each his own, yes. Lazy no. I had and have plenty of state champions on vault each year... I adjust the table where the kids need it at meets to win, in workout they vault up (handsprings).

==
why do I need to search a web site to attain information that I already know. To each his own, yes. Lazy no. I had and have plenty of state champions on vault each year... I adjust the table where the kids need it at meets to win, in workout they vault up (handsprings).

oh, I know...and you had 25 state beam champions this year too. I said "in my opinion"....I have mine, you have yours. I agree that "vaulting up" is good for practice...my response was related to whether everyone should be vaulting on the same setting.

The OP asked for opinions. Apparently, yours is the only one that's acceptable.

Coaches are greedy when it comes to spending time that doesn't move kids down the runway. Trust them to care that each child gets proper training (even if it's just to make the coach a success) and to get the most for the team out of every practice.

I guess I just assumed that most gyms had vault tables that were pretty easy to adjust. I've never adjusted the vault, but from the lobby it looks like it is raised much like the chair in a hair salon!

The way our coach does vault is to group the kids from smallest to tallest and then adjust as the height requires. Then when it's time to go back to the beginning, the coach bends over, looks like she pulls something, and the vault drops back down. It takes no time and looks pretty effortless.

Is this not a typical set up????

In my limited experience, there's no absolutely "right" way to coach. As with all sports, coaches seem to bring their collective wisdom to the table to do what they've seen is best. I saw this first hand on vault this past year. DD and her best friend left their last gym and went to separate gyms (this was for L7). Both scored much higher on vault at the new gyms, but one coach set the table low (lower than the prior year) because the coach thought the girls got a better block that way and DDs coaches moved the table higher (and DD is smaller than her friend). Again, both scored much higher. DD said that she likes the higher table for the L8/9 vaults. It gives her more air time and she has the power to get up, so to me it's better for the long run. But, both girls scored great. And both gyms made minor adjustments for really tiny or really tall girls. You have to trust the coaches (or leave).

At my gym we have to crank the vault up and down and it's fairly easy to move. Our old vault however involved a system similar to the pins+holes on some uneven bars, plus a twisting lock-type thing. Sometimes we needed three coaches to adjust the vault! To manage this we often combined three or more groups so that all the bigger or smaller girls were grouped together. My gym always vaulted at a particular setting depending on your age/level, so there was no adjusting due to preference. It was the beat boards that were adjusted due to preference and even then my coaches generally used two or three boards with the springs already set, so the girls just chose the ones they liked best and lined up in order to minimize switching the boards out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back