Wants to train hard but not compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

Jadecasmir

Hi I am a gymastics fan from Connecticut. My daughter was training to compete at level 4, but didn't want to do it anymore because "it wasn't fun anymore and I get tired of working on the same stuff over and over." She wants to train but not compete and it seems like if you do not compete you do not get the attention needed to progress. Is there gymnastics training that doesn't compete that is still rigorous.:confused:

If you can't find a team/group that suits your needs, you can always hire a private coach for a few hours a week. Related to that, without competition, I think to retain her interest in progressing she still needs some form of relative measurement. Can she do some low pressure meets? Regular testing/evaluation may also work.

I think it is hard to find a gym that will just train a child and not have them compete. We had a really talented girl on my DDs old L4 team that just did NOT want to compete. She eventually had to quit because you had to compete to be on team there. Most gyms are like that I think.

Sounds like your DD might be at a gym where they only do level based skills and that can be very boring for some kids. If all they were doing was level 4 skills and routines, it might have been boring for her.

Another option would be to find a gym that has a good balance of uptraining and level training. My DD changed to another gym and did a 2nd season of level 4. Even though she really needed that extra year to compete level 4, she would have been bored stiff if all they did was level 4 skills and routines. She has a great balance of both. She is always challenged, is able to compete at a level she can do well at while still training level 5/6 skills like she wants to. She LOVES it!

Good luck!

Hello & welcome! Finding the right environment for your daughter to progress with her training is the key. May I ask how old your daughter is? Notamom's suggestions are very good(thank you Notamom:)). I'd like to add that many girls enjoy the friendships they have in the gym. And those friendships can keep them motivated at times when the training gets tough.

Have you investigated other programs that may be less intense then what she has done previously? There are less intense programs that might be a good fit for her. Offering her both the training environment & peer encouragement that would be to her liking. Are there any gyms in your area that participate in Prep Op programs or maybe YMCA gymnastics? They are just 2 ideas that come to mind. I'm sure other posters will have more.

Let me just clarify that because I refer to other programs as "less intense" I don't mean that they don't train hard. In fact at gyms in our area Prep Op trains the same hours as everyone else. But they may be more willing to let your daughter train & not compete.

I wish you & your daughter good luck in finding the proper fit for her to continue training in the sport.

Last edited:
Notamom thanks maybe in the future, but I am a stay at home mom of 4 so that cud be too costly until I go back to work. I wonder what private lessons wud cost? Mariposa, Thats what she said, same practice to perfect the "routine" over and over again. Had she been learning new skills that challenged her as well, maybe she would not have been bored. I need to find a school like that in Connecticut? gymJourneymom, my daughter is 9 and had several activities goin on and elimated the one I think she was the best at, but its her decision. I still think she wants to do it, but in a fun and challenging environment. I need to explore that prep op in connecticut if they have one, Thank you all.

Hi, I am from CT. The gym that my dd attends and I consult for competes AAU which is much less intense than USAG. If you would like to PM me I can give you some names of gyms that we compete with in AAU that may offer a style that would fit your dd.:)

I would check out all the competitive gyms in the driving distance you would consider. Hopefully you have a few to choose from. Then you could call or go check out their level 4 team program. Talk to parents and see if the girls uptrain year round or not.

Here is the list of competitive gyms from CT, from the CT USAG website.

Welcome to the Official Website of USA Gymnastics Connecticut

Here is the CT AAU website, you could email and find out what clubs offer AAU if you want to try that.

CT AAU Gymnastics

Hi, Welcome to CB!

Since we are getting slammed with snow here in NJ I have a couple minutes to post today. I'm usually only skimming over the parent section, LOL

Just wanted to add that you may want to find out exactly how your gym's team is structured. It may be in the middle of your comp season now so yes, routines over and over again are probably the norm, as in most USAG programs. However, here in NJ comp season is only about 5-6 mths and after states and during the Summer months the team girls are usually up-training and not doing the routines as much. My DD did 2 yrs at L4 and recently finished L5. We are happy (she is 8) to finally being doing some up-training. Depending on how your DD is too may be the reason for the L4's to be going over it over and over again. Sometimes the little ones just need repetition. My DD started at age 6. The first year she really was only doing the routines in meets, it wasn't until she was a 2nd yr L4 that she was able to "perfect" those little things in the rotuines and do much better. To keep practices "fun" during regular season our gym has "optional" days on non-meet weeks and sometimes conditioning contests. Even the older girls tend to get bored and this helps everyone's season blues.

If I were you I would sit down with her coach and aks exactly how the L4 season is run. What do they do off season, and how do they keep the girls happy and motivated. maybe even ask other team parents. She may be bored now, but maybe the fun is still to come! Good gyms know just how to juggle those L4's to keep them happy. If not, there are other competative programs that she can still do gymnastics, but maybe learn optional skills quicker like USAIGC. Good luck!

I would recommend you encourage your daughter to try competition first. She hasn't done one yet and she may love it. It is difficult for young gymnasts to understand why they have to do all these routines over and over when they have never even been to a competition. But once they go they understand why, many fall in love with it and practicing the routines is no longer boring, it becomes exciting and challenging.

Also this practicing won't go all year, just when they are preparing for a competition.

Thats a tough one, bc these are "competitive teams" you are referring to (whether it be prep opt, usa, or whatever the league is.) The girls on these teams train to compete.

Some kids just dont like to compete, but still love gymnastics. See if your club has a class for her level, and attend 2x week. I had a very talented gymnast who went this route and she is very happy now. I always call her over to show a skill to the team kids, she was that good, but just hated the competition aspect of gymnastics.

Hope this helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back