Parents What questions would you ask?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But how would you know if the gym lied?!?! And, I can easily see a gym replying that they don't keep track of the numbers or reasons gymnasts leave.

If they say they don't know the number of gymnasts leaving, they are already lying. It is pretty personal when gymnasts leave, and coaches don't forget. You can verify how many gymnasts left on mymeetscores, or ask a team parent in the waiting room. They all generally know.

For coaches, you probably have to talk to a parent who has been at the gym a while, or actually track down an ex-coach. Actually, some of the best information can come from other coaches at other gyms you are trying out. Be upfront and say you are trying x, y and z gym as well, and ask what their thoughts are on the other gyms. You will get a lot of information that way, I don't mean dirt necessarily, but an idea of style/culture/values.

Much information can be gained from my meet scores on line.

You lookup the gym, you see the gymmies and you know who left. You then lookup those gymmies. If they landed somewhere else vs gone from gymnastics.

You can see who repeats. Do they do L5 to L6 to L7, or L5 to L7, does it look like they have a high score to move or state minimum? Lot of information from the comfort of your own home.

[QUOTE="It seems insane that one would have to feel this way when it's our darn kid and money!![/QUOTE]

Yes, it truly is when you really think about it.

[QUOTE="It seems insane that one would have to feel this way when it's our darn kid and money!!

Yes, it truly is when you really think about it.[/QUOTE]

That's why I don't. I'm the customer. I keep it business like and professional.

No long goodbyes, lengthy stories about why. It's simply... We appreciate all the work you have done for our daughter, but we are making a change that best suits our family.

You lookup the gym, you see the gymmies and you know who left. You then lookup those gymmies. If they landed somewhere else vs gone from gymnastics.

You can see who repeats. Do they do L5 to L6 to L7, or L5 to L7, does it look like they have a high score to move or state minimum? Lot of information from the comfort of your own home.

OMG, you guys must have faster computers than mine because I totally hate that website! :p

Yes. I did a ton of research of meetscoresonline and mymeetscores before our switch. Even the gym's website or websites of gyms they compete against sometimes have meet info. (I had to get creative since USAIGC scores are tougher to find). And some of the best info I got, though this is taking a big 'ol chance, is from parents at that gym. I was lucky that my older DD happened to be friends with a couple gymmies at our now new gym, so I was pretty sure those moms wouldn't blow my cover! Also, Puma Jr told me of a family who had four team kids that changed from our old gym to our new gym recently. I was super-duper stalkarific and found said mom on FB, messaged her (my opening statement being please don't think I'm a creeper...LOL) and she was an amazing wealth of information. Again, this is risky, but I politely asked if she could keep it on the downlow and she understood. Good luck!!!

I would ask about the booster club and how competition expenses are handled. Is there a lump-sum assessment? If so, exactly what does it cover and what is charged separately? If not, are expenses itemized and billed as incurred? Are there fund-raising or "volunteer" obligations?

Another important question is the timeline for move-ups and schedule announcements. If your schedule is not flexible and transportation and/or child care is an issue, your life will be immeasurably easier if you can find a gym that does move-ups at a set point during the year and has a stable practice schedule that is announced at least a few weeks in advance.

I would also ask to see the parent handbook, team packet, or whatever other written materials they have. One thing that impressed me about our current gym was that the team manager e-mailed me the team packet before my daughter's tryout without my even asking for it so that we could see the cost structure and practice schedule for all levels and know exactly what we were getting ourselves into.

And ask whether they have air conditioning!

I would ask about the booster club and how competition expenses are handled. Is there a lump-sum assessment? If so, exactly what does it cover and what is charged separately? If not, are expenses itemized and billed as incurred? Are there fund-raising or "volunteer" obligations?

Another important question is the timeline for move-ups and schedule announcements. If your schedule is not flexible and transportation and/or child care is an issue, your life will be immeasurably easier if you can find a gym that does move-ups at a set point during the year and has a stable practice schedule that is announced at least a few weeks in advance.

I would also ask to see the parent handbook, team packet, or whatever other written materials they have. One thing that impressed me about our current gym was that the team manager e-mailed me the team packet before my daughter's tryout without my even asking for it so that we could see the cost structure and practice schedule for all levels and know exactly what we were getting ourselves into.

And ask whether they have air conditioning!
Wow found some great questions in your response too! Thank you for taking the time!! AIR CONDITIONING!!!! <--- great one!!

Yes. I did a ton of research of meetscoresonline and mymeetscores before our switch. Even the gym's website or websites of gyms they compete against sometimes have meet info. (I had to get creative since USAIGC scores are tougher to find). And some of the best info I got, though this is taking a big 'ol chance, is from parents at that gym. I was lucky that my older DD happened to be friends with a couple gymmies at our now new gym, so I was pretty sure those moms wouldn't blow my cover! Also, Puma Jr told me of a family who had four team kids that changed from our old gym to our new gym recently. I was super-duper stalkarific and found said mom on FB, messaged her (my opening statement being please don't think I'm a creeper...LOL) and she was an amazing wealth of information. Again, this is risky, but I politely asked if she could keep it on the downlow and she understood. Good luck!!!
Love this too! I have found another mom that has provided me with many answers and honestly a fresh outlook on all this! Thank goodness for great people! We all know there are ... what word am i looking for here... horrible gym mom's that would think that your child is a threat to theirs if they are at the same gym! UGH I hate people like that!

My friend wore a wig, glasses, and makeup when she went to observe other gyms.
Truth! She did it a year ago...and no one recognized her. Lmao
....and it worked. No one
OMG this is truly funny! perhaps a wig and high heels are in my future! NOBODY would guess its me with high heels on! ( always in flip flops or my tennis shoes) ha ha ha!

sent you a PM with a ton of questions I asked when we switched gyms. I am sure the HC thought I was nuts but I wanted to make sure this was her last move...

Kitkat, Will you share these questions pretty please? Or PM me too? We're very likely going to be moving soon and I'm in the gym-information-gathering-stage now myself.

Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back