What's yours or DD rec to team story?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD completed a 3 school terms of rec, did amazingly well in her 2 rec comps and was offered a place in team in January. Being in Australia our season is only just starting so no team comps for her until July.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My relationship with the gym started when my son was a toddler and my gymnast hadn't been born yet! I was looking for a Saturday morning activity to do with him while DH was usually working on boats or fishing, and the parent & tot class sounded like a good idea. When DS was 3 and my other DD was 1.5, my gymnast was born. I was too busy with her and the 2 little ones so we quit gym. We went back for a year to kindergym when the girls were maybe 5 and 4, again for something to do on a Saturday morning. It was just for fun, and I can't remember why we stopped, but it was probably due to money.

Sometime during this period when we were not doing gym, a friend from Canada asked me why my youngest DD wasn't doing gymnastics - in her opinion DD had the perfect little muscular body, and was so good at climbing, swinging etc. She made me feel like I was a terrible mother for not nurturing this obvious talent in my DD, so I scraped up the money and sent them both back to gym for recreational now, as the younger one was just turning 6. After a year in rec they were both invited to team tryouts and were both offered a spot on team. At this time my older DD was doing ballet and loving it, and her class clashed with when she would have to train on team. I also was not made of money! So older DD had to choose, and she chose ballet. It was a good decision - I think her personality is most suited to gentle things like ballet and dance - she is not competitive, and she would not have attacked the apparatus like her younger sister does.

Younger DD went straight into a level 3 training group from rec in September 2009, but didn't actually get to compete level 3 until May/June 2010 - they only trained twice a week at that stage, so progression wasn't fast. She has just finished level 5 at age 10. I think her story is fairly typical - she wasn't a young prodigy, but she made her way over from rec at an average sort of age.

My dd was also an early walker, walking by 10 mo. she skipped right over crawling. By age 3 I decided to try dance so I put her in a combo Ballet/Jazz/Tumbling class. She would cry during the dance parts but loved the last 10 min. which was the tumbling part. We finished out the summer of class and then went on to try gymnastics. She walked in the door at 3 1/2 years old and has loved every minute of it. She did 2 years of rec, 2 years of developmental(pre-team) and then started competing Level 4 when she was in 1st grade, she did 2 years at Level 4 and then did 1 year of 5, 1 year of 6 and just finished Level 7. She is excitedly working towards Level 8 now and still loving every minute.

I have three on team, so I'll start with the oldest.

My 9 yo DD started at age 2 in a mommy and me class, as a birthday gift from grandma. She loved it, and moved on to preschool class at age 3, followed by advanced preschool at age 4. At age 5 she started developmental, but the coaching style was really harsh. It finally reaching a point where we couldn't take it anymore (there was borderline physical and emotional abuse and we were told DD didn't have what it took to be a competitive gymnast and would never have a spot on their team) so we switched gyms when she was 6.5. The new gym was wonderful, and she did a year of preteam and then moved to the L4 team. She just finished L5 and is beginning training for the "new" L5.

My middle DD (age 6) did a class at our former gym for a few weeks when she was a few months shy of turning 3. The instructor kicked her out for having a fear of skin-the-cats and forward rolls on the beam. Said she didn't have the right mentality for gymnastics and to stop wasting my money. (Kids who wouldn't try something or cried had to sit in the corner for class.) When we switched gyms, I decided to sign my middle DD up for a class. She was fearful at first, so the teachers let her tag along with me and her baby sister in the toddler class. After a few months, she was ready to be on her own, and joined a preschool group. In the fall, when she was 4.5 they suggested she try pre-team, not based on skills, but solely on body-type/strength/flexibility/speed. I decided to let her try, since we were at the gym a lot already with her older L4 sister. She blossomed in pre-team with good, compassionate coaching. My fearful timid girl turned into a fearless, hardworking focused little gymnast. At 5.5 she moved to L4, and began competing right after her 6th birthday. Now at age 6.5 she is training for the "new" L4, and already has every skill except the vault over the table. She is even working optional level skills on bars (her strongest event). She was the baby of the team this year, but the coaches say she is one the hardest working and most focused kids on the team. She LOVES gym and I'm so glad I didn't listen the the coaches at our former gym who tried to write her off when she was not even three years old.

My baby DD (4.5 yrs) never did anything at our former gym. She started in the toddler class at age 2 when we switched gyms. Then she moved to preschool, then Intermediate Kinder. She just tried out for the preteam a few weeks ago, and was accepted. She will begin in the summer. If it all pans out, she should begin competing the new L3 in the Fall of 2014 when she is 6.

momofthreegirls--your old gym sounds like a nightmare! Blessing in disguise that your daughters were deemed not fit for their team, huh?

Have had three girls in gymnastics and on team--my oldest was nearly 3 yr when I signed her up--watched the Olympics that year (1996) and she made up her own little floor routine she would perform for us in the back yard--so darn cute that I found her a gym the next week. She was in preschool for two years, then one year of a kindergarten level class, then asked to the team-track class in first grade. She started in level 5 (first level our gym competed back then) when she was in 5th grade, so a little older--one level a year, two years of level 7, then she chose to move to high school gymnastics.

Second daughter started in preschool at almost 3 yrs, then tried out for their fast-track team track class (they don't have this anymore) at 3 yrs, 10 mos--she didn't make it (in her defense all the other girls were already 4 yrs), but they added a new, lower lever to their team-track program and she started that the following spring 9 (at 4 yrs). Started level 4 at 6 or 7 yrs (her team was the first one our gym competed at level 4). She moved up a level a year (except for two years of level 9) and is now a level 10 at 15 yrs. (freshman).

Third daughter went through rec program, but wasn't as much a gymnast as the other two--she preferred soccer, hockey, swimming, etc., so she was in and out of rec classes. She did get asked to try out for team (level 4) two years ago (wow--it's been that long??) and made it--but I honestly think they took her because of her sisters' successes, not because they thought she was really good. She did it for 2-3 mos, but then we had a long talk and she (and we) decided she should quit and do something she was good at (swimming). She did a middle school class at school last year, but hasn't asked to do it again.

Dd took her first gymnastics class ever at age 9 at the Y. They wanted to move her to pre-team after a few months, but their "main gym" was too far away, so we switched to a private club. She did about 6 months of rec (twice a week) at the new gym, and was switched to pre-team. Six months later she was switched to team. She competed L4 at 10, then L5 at 11. She's now 12 and will hopefully be moving up to the "new 5". I'm grateful that she was given a chance, despite her "advanced age", and was not shunted to prep-op (not Xcel at our gym, a rec league). She loves gym and wants to be at practice as much as possible!

Since I didn't see any stories quite like ours, I'll share mine ::). My DD decided when she was 10 she wanted to try to learn a backhandspring because they had to try out for cheerleading at her school for the first time before sixth grade and it was very competitive. There were only going to be 3 spots open and the grades are 6-8. She could do a back walkover, front limber and walkover, cartwheel and round off but that was about it. Started driving her to the only gym feasibly close to us (an hour) on Saturday mornings for a backhandspring class the gym was having and staying for a private lesson for extra help since we were driving so far anyway. DD had never been on any type of gymnastic equipment until then. After a few weeks DD was invited to start working out with the team to compete level 4. Broke her hand in the meantime, was able to actually compete last two meets of the season. Competed levels 5 and 6 this year, scored out of both and working on level 7 (or 6, depending on requirements not released yet). Oh, and she did learn that backhandspring, plus some...tucks, layouts, aerial cartwheels, etc. ...but never did try out for cheerleading! She has no interest in any sport but gymnastics.

My husband and I took our daughter to a gym 45 minutes from our home for a Parent Child class because we lived in a small town house with a 2YO who was high energy. We didn't have a yard and she needed an outlet. She was too young for ballet so I "settled" for this class. She went for about 9 months.

We took her out when we bought our 3 acres in the country. She now how tons of space to move so we didn't feel like she needed this class anymore. And more importantly, she was getting ready to turn 3 and the local ballet school would take her at 3! Tons of mommy joy!!!!! I took her to her first baby ballerina class just bursting with joy. She was on the path I had dreamed of for her.

She took one look at the studio and started somersaulting all around, ran over to the barre and kicked over to front support, and proceeded to take years off of dance teacher's life. After class, the instructor came out and told me my child wasn't "a good fit" for ballet. She suggested I enroll her in a gymnastics program in a gym about 20 minutes from our home.

I was DEVASTATED!!!! And hurt and offended. And now that some years have gone by....incredulous that someone would make such a ridiculous snap judgment about a 3YO. However, I sheepishly thanked her and skulked out of the studio, too embarrassed to ever return.

But I enrolled DD in a preschool gymnastics/movement class when she turned 4. I don't really remember how long she was in that first class but I remember them fairly quickly tapping her for a developmental team. She did that until she was about 5. I took her out for many months and the kid drove me NUTS! All she did was nag me about going back. We tried dance again. Nope. We did soccer. It was just "okay."

I caved the summer she turned 6 and they assessed her and put her on pre-team. She did pre-team for a year and after that competition season, she was placed on the L3 team which is the first competition level for our gym.

I still try to get her to do some dance but it's a constant battle. Right now, I have her doing a weekly half hour private that she compromises with me by at least trying. She's almost won and after this dance season is over, I'll give up. Instead of my ballerina baby, looks like I'm going to have a gym girl.

And I'm finally okay with that......

I had other visions for my daughter as well. I never took gymnastics but absolutely loved skating. I took lessons and though I never competed, followed the sport closely. I just knew I would have a skater for a daughter. We adopted DD at 13 months and she walked within a month of coming home. At 18 months not only was she doing these little forward rolls on the carpet, but launching herself off our couch into a forward roll. She'd scare me to death so I put her in a Mommy and me class. I figured she could at least be taught how to do gymnastics moves correctly. She soon moved up to the preschool rec class around 3. When she was 4 1/2, I knew I'd need to move her to a different time because she would start pre-k that fall and there were not many class times for preschool in the afternoon. When I spoke to her instructor, she suggested that DD "try out" for something called Hot Shots. I soon found out this was their pre-team. She really wanted to try because they had classes 2 days a week. Honestly I thought with all the repetitions and conditioning they did that DD (at 4 1/2) would soon become bored and want to quit. Ha! What did I know? 2 years later, she started her 1st competitive season and although she enjoys other sports, gymnastics is her passion right now. And I did try to get her lessons for ice skating when she started pre-team. She absolutely HATED it. I've only seen her react that way to another sport (swimming). As for rec gym, she does not miss it at all. But then again, she started pre-team fairly young so I have no idea if she even remembers it. It may be better for both of us that I have no experience with this sport-keeps the CGM down. DD played rec basketball a few months ago and I found myself a few times starting to "coach" her. Really had to watch myself there!

Mine started rec when she was 5 or 6. (I can't remember now!) I put her in gymnastics because she wasn't moving enough, in my opinion. (-: As a baby/toddler, she had never crawled, and walked late. As a small kiddo, she frequently fell down over her own feet, cried, and wouldn't get herself up. Time to move her body in a fun way- to gymnastics class we go! I had no idea at the time, that she would stick with gymnastics as long as she has. (6-7 years so far) The benefits have been many, and I am happy that she stuck with it...

She did rec for 4 years (2 of them as level3/preteam). She has competed 2 seasons on team so far. (level 4) She cried with joy when she scored her first 9 on an event at a meet. She works very hard, and enjoys the progress she makes. I am so proud of her! Plan for her is to compete new 4, and possibly 5 next season.

My DD was 7 when she decided to first try gymnastics and was immediately put on pre-team. She spent a year there before moving to team L4 and competing in the fall (age 8). This past fall she competed L5 (age 9). Immediately in January she did a L6 meet and will compete the new L6 January 2014. She was thrilled to move to team and is now over the moon about being invited to be on the optional team!

I started my DD in a beginner's rec class in September. By the beginning of December, they realized the class was way too big (8-10 gymnasts per coach) and divided them up. When my DD started the new class at the beginning of January, I realized she hadn't learned much for the first few months (better cartwheel, but that was about it). So, from January until May, she flew through skills - it amazed me. They invited her to try out for team, tryouts were mid-May, and she made team!

So...it's been quite a whirlwind. She LOVES gymnastics and we're excited to see where this crazy ride takes us. :)

My daughter started mommy and me classes at 17 months. Did rec classes until age 5, joined hotshot team at 5, competed level 4 for two years, level 5 for two years, level 6 for one year, tried excel platinum last summer and this past Fall, never competed it, injured her knee, left her gym.. now she is at a new gym since March and is working towards level 7 for this coming Fall. She is twelve years old, sixth grade and gymnastics has been her life for many many years. She has also danced for five years too. Hoping to continue with gym through hs. :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I'm not on team yet, but on the track. Basically my future: compete this year as Level 2. then next summer start training with pre-team. If i do well, compete as Pre-Team. next year: new level 4. That's if all goes well and i work hard. Another possiblilty is do this year as level two, then do level three, then pre-team, then new level 4. that's if all goes bad and i'm being lazy. i'm hoping and praying and trying to make happen the first way.

Mine started rec classes at six for three months. Went to mini team for a few months. Skipped level four. She's now 13 and level 9. It hasn't always been easy, two major injuries and one major illness but she still loves it.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

DD started rec class when she was 5. She was doing ballroom dancing at that time, and was really good at it, so we really wanted her to concentrate on dancing. Gymnastics was just for fun, and only because the gym was literally right around the corner from our house. A year later, when she was 6, she decided that she didn't want to dance anymore. No matter what we tried, she just refused to go there. Finally we said, fine, you can quite dancing, what do you want to do instead? She said, I want to do more gymnastics. So, we added another rec class, now going twice a week. Few months later I realize that she was getting bored there, doing the same stuff over and over again. I started asking around about getting on a team. At the end of the school year, DD was 7, they invited her on a prep-op team (I didn't know what prep-op meant at the time, but that's a different story :)). She competed a season at XCel bronze level. Later in the year I realized that she was on the wrong track, and asked if she could switch to JO. HC said no, that she was too old (8 at the time), and not good enough for their JO team. Thanks to the wonderful group of people here on CB, who convinced me to look at other gyms in the area, we found another gym, where they happily accepted DD to their L3 team. So, she is 8.5 now, and getting ready to compete her first JO season, at new level 3.

I started doing pre-school classes for 1 hour a week at age 2 nearly 3. I then moved to rec at 5 when I was old enough to move out of pre-school which was also 1 hour a week. At age 7 I was selected to move to pre-grades (pre-team) and at age 8 I was put in grades (team) and now I'm on C team and competing regional grade 9/10. Roughly equivalent to US grade 8/9. I'm 15 now.

My DD (6) started rec gymnastics level 1 in January 2013. She moved up to level 2 in March 2013. Last week she moved up to level 3. No invite for team yet however she would love for it to happen sometime soon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back