Parents wondering about weight....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is my dd too, you are not alone. My dd does go to an Endocrinologist and what was explained to me is that most girls our dd's age (11/12) are entering puberty and before puberty they usually have a large growth spurt leading into it. Well when that curve goes up our dds are still not there yet, so our dd's look like then have fallen even more off the curve. But in all actuality if they are still on their "own" curve they are probably ok. My dd is in 3% for both height and weight. Maybe talk to your dd's Dr and see if you could see an Endo, if you need a referral or just go to an Endo if you don't. They can do what is called a bone age scan, this is non-evasive, it is just an x-ray of I believe dd's left hand. Endo can read this and determine if your dd's bone age is ahead, behind or right on with their chronological age. Dd had her's done at age 12 and her bone age is that of a 9.5 yr old. This is good, she still has time to catch up. When bone age is ahead of actual age, that can lead to problems. Endo does not expect dd to even have the onset of puberty until she is about 14, so we are way off to. As long as dd is healthy I don't worry about anything. She's used to looking up to everyone by now since she is usually at shoulder's height. ;)

So funny that this came up...my dd just went for her 12 yo check up. She is 4'8 and 68 pounds and no where near puberty. She is around the 7th percentile for both. The dr's problem is that she keeps falling down the chart. She is lean--a "Nastia" build--and just increased her hours, so I am hoping that she will be able to add a couple of pounds in the next month when we have to go back for a weight check :( She is our only petite one. My ds is 13--5'9 1/4 and 160 pounds--tall and solid. My 10yo dd is 4'9 and 92 pounds and needs a bra. The 4yo is 35 pounds but I can't remember her height--:)--that's what happens when you are the 4th....

This makes me feel better to see lots of tiny people :)

This is SO true about vault. I notice a huge difference between my dd and her team mates the same age. What a difference! Most the girls her age are taller and heavier and can pound that springboard, where dd really has to hit the board right to get a good vault off. She definitely has to use less springs than the bigger girls.

I just keep saying vault will get better as she gets older and bigger! ;)

Just posting to add that all of you with dd's who look like they weigh less than they do - I envy you! That weight is such a big help on vault. My poor dd has such a hard time on vault and the coaches keep telling me to feed her more! :D

Grannie--- we had the same conversation with my dd pediatrician at her 11 yo well visit. He said all the growth charts assume you have gone thru your big growth spurt prepuberity. He said she definitely did not go thru her spurt so the charts don't mean much at this point.

By the way, she is going to 12 and 56" and 76 lbs.

My dd weighs 120lbs and she's about 5'1". She is very muscular. She actually "fell off" the growth chart, but she has always been around the 20th percentile for weight. Her doctor actually told me that she would be considered overweight if she wasn't such an active gymnast. I'm just wondering how Shawn Johnson who is about the same height as dd only weighed 90lbs. How is that possible? She looks so built!

DD#1 is 12 yrs old, 5 ft 3" and 113 lbs. She looks healthy but other than her broad shoulders, really doesn't "look" muscular.

Little Monkey is 8.5 yrs old just a tad under 4 ft and 51 lbs of solid muscle. She is very petite and wears size 4 shorts, 6 pants, 7-8 shirts. People look at her and comment about her build LOL she looks like a little powerhouse!

This is SO true about vault. I notice a huge difference between my dd and her team mates the same age. What a difference! Most the girls her age are taller and heavier and can pound that springboard, where dd really has to hit the board right to get a good vault off. She definitely has to use less springs than the bigger girls.

I just keep saying vault will get better as she gets older and bigger! ;)

Little Monkey has the vault problem too!

We had that vault problem too when dd was level 5. She just could not get over the vault. She'd hit the board and nothing would happen. She's a great vaulter now even though the growth chart said this:
At 11 years and 7 months:your child is 67 pounds, and that is
at the 6th percentile for weight.
your child is 51 inches, and that is
at less than the 3rd percentile for height.

Well, she's always been at the bottom of the charts. And like so many of these girls - she eats constantly.

It's so good to hear that many of your gymmies had the same vaulting issues as Pixie....and that they outgrew them!! How encouraging! I just wish it didn't frustrate her so.

This is a very interesting topic...

I'm so glad this came up! DD is 4'2" 57 pounds, and all her level 5 team mates are significantly bigger except one (who also has trouble on the vault)

DD is a waif. She has the longest legs (go figure, must be some genetic throwback, I am short and squatty and DH is not exactly tall) she wears size 6 for waist, but size 6 for length. Good thing I'm a seamstress, I can alter her pants!

I never understood why she was having so much trouble on the vault, but now I think I do.

Snowbound

DD#1 is 12 yrs old, 5 ft 3" and 113 lbs. She looks healthy but other than her broad shoulders, really doesn't "look" muscular.

Little Monkey is 8.5 yrs old just a tad under 4 ft and 51 lbs of solid muscle. She is very petite and wears size 4 shorts, 6 pants, 7-8 shirts. People look at her and comment about her build LOL she looks like a little powerhouse!

Little monkey and mine are almost exactly the same size!! Mine is 4ft & 50lbs long dki
Skinny arms and legs and same vault issues!!!

My dd just turned 9 March 17th and has always been solid .She wears size 7jeans with adjustable waist size slim are to tight in her thighs and size 8 tops.She does look smaller then all her friends.A couple of wks ago she fell a sleep at my parents house and my cousin said he would carry her to the car and he lift her up and said my god,she looks so small but weighs a ton.She is deifintly ripped.I would die for her abs.
She is 63lbs 46th percintle
4ft3 in the 28 percintle
height predicator says she will be 5'3

For all of you with the long, skinny built kids, what do you do for jeans? My DD is 12, 5' 3" and FINALLY hit 90lbs this month :D. She has a 33" inseam (DH's fault...he has a 36" inseam and stands 6'2"!), so I can't put her in children's sizes anymore, but the 00 Jrs are still a little big in the waist. Her height growth spurst these past two years have been over 16":eek:, and I'm really tired of replacing "highwaters". Anyone know of a good jeans brand in Jrs that WON'T cost an arm and a leg, with extra length and small waists? My DD eats almost every two hours, but just can't seem to keep the weight on---it's all going to her height!

Oh! DD is:

your child is 90 pounds, and that is
at the 30th percentile for weight. your child is 63 inches, and that is
at the 71st percentile for height.
They predict 5'9" at 21...better look for a swim team, because bars is a bear at 5'3" for her LOL!
On a more serious note, does anyone know what percentage of body fat these kids need to have for puberty (and the FUN mood swings that go with it)?

For all of you with the long, skinny built kids, what do you do for jeans? My DD is 12, 5' 3" and FINALLY hit 90lbs this month :D. She has a 33" inseam (DH's fault...he has a 36" inseam and stands 6'2"!), so I can't put her in children's sizes anymore, but the 00 Jrs are still a little big in the waist. Her height growth spurst these past two years have been over 16":eek:, and I'm really tired of replacing "highwaters". Anyone know of a good jeans brand in Jrs that WON'T cost an arm and a leg, with extra length and small waists? My DD eats almost every two hours, but just can't seem to keep the weight on---it's all going to her height!

I had the same problem growing up I was all arms and legs.The smallest junior size that I could find then was 3.Luckliy the girls started a fad to roll up there pants cuff.I wore size kid 14 slim and my nickname was highwater.I still have the same problem I am 5'7 110 lbs still wear size 14 kids (now they have adjustable waist) Luckliy now I live in Fl so I wear mostly shorts and capris.and no long sleeve tops since they where always to short in the arms.

Do you have a Kohl's where you live? We've had good luck with the size zero, Kohl's brand skinny jeans(So? or something like that)for one of my DD's. She is 5'1" and weighs the same as yours. The size 0 is still a little big in the waist, but they are more than long enough on her. I don't know what her inseam is though, but she also has long legs. Another option would be to check Aeropostale. They have good sales, and I think you can get jeans in different lengths there, as well as 00.

I would second Aeropostale. I don't have a kid that tall yet, but there is a girl at our gym who is 5'3" and probably weighs 80 lbs. She is all legs and I believe her mom said they got 00 skinny jeans at Aeropostale. They are still a little big in the waist but not terrible and she does okay with a belt.

My DD is 12, 5'3" and 113 lbs but she is in between sizes with the Aeropostale 00 being too snug and the 0 being too big. The best jeans for her have been Old Navy skinny jeans, you can get them under $20 but usually the "skinny" ones are not available in stores. I order them online. She was in 12's but now she's in 14's (children's sizes). The old navy 00 are big on her.

I had the same problem growing up I was all arms and legs.The smallest junior size that I could find then was 3.Luckliy the girls started a fad to roll up there pants cuff.I wore size kid 14 slim and my nickname was highwater.I still have the same problem I am 5'7 110 lbs still wear size 14 kids (now they have adjustable waist) Luckliy now I live in Fl so I wear mostly shorts and capris.and no long sleeve tops since they where always to short in the arms.

LOL!! You all are gonna laugh, but I still have this problem today :eek:. I am 5ft 3in and about 100 lbs. Its' hard to find pants that fit. My best bet so far has been Limited Too and believe it or not Target (children's section). The size 14 reg and 16 slim fit me pretty well at Limited too and the 14 regular size Target jeans are so comfortable!!! I can go to some petite stores and get 2's but sometimes they are still too big and can be pricey. I dread clothes shopping!!!!

I guess I just have a naturally high metabolism because no matter what I eat I don't gain weight. I'm not trying to brag--it's just frustrating not being able to find adult clothes that look good on me without ending up looking like a 12 yr old boy!!!! LOL

Last edited:
MdGymMom, if you don't work full time you should try juniors sizes. They run much smaller than women's and often go down to 00. It is extremely hard to find professional clothing in small sizes, though. I'm 5'5" and 110 and cannot wear petites, but also have to work as a professional so finding clothing is very difficult unless you are willing to pay the $$$ for stuff like Theory. Clothing sizes are ridiculous these days. I'm sized out of JCrew bottoms completely.

I have some casual clothing from Target Girls section and Old Navy too, but again often the arms or legs are too short because I'm not petite. I have had good luck with Juniors clothing, though.

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back