Parents 1st L7 meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
I have to say I could not be prouder of my dd. She has been battling major bhs on beam fear for about 6 weeks. So her beam practice has consisted of waiting for someone to spot her on the low beam and practicing her bhs on the floor. Anyway she was making progress on that when she witness a bad wipe out of someone back tumbling at the gym and guess what. Could not tumble for about 2 weeks. Needed a spot or would hurdle into tumbling, but afraid of running fast into tumbline anyway... now to the meet.

Mother: experiencing much anxiety
DD: had the best time!

1st event was BEAM (what luck) Meet was at 8:15 and they did not start their first rotation until 9:30 (mulitple flights per event). Warm up looked ok, but very rushed trying to get warmed up. She got up there and did a beautiful beam routine. Connected the bwo bwo, solid on the front walk over, not a bobble or hesitation on the bhs, stuck the front tuck dismount. The only problem was she 2 footed her full turn. Other than that it was great. 8.75 and 6th place. I actually had a tear in my eye during beam because of how much I watched her go through. She is my hero.

Then onto floor. Warm up was rocky.. not really running too fast on the tumbling. Then she over rotated a back tuck and landed on her back. Then I got really worried. Was she going to be able to do it? 8.9 was the score and the routine as great. Tumbling was pretty powerful. Her layout looked good. Started to roll her ankle on the landing of her fhs ft, so took a few steps. Overall, great performance and smiled through out. She loves her floor routine.

Then vault. Looked good 8.6.

She did not compete bars as the elusive giant is still missing.

Overall, I am so impressed!

PM me for the link to the video of floor and vault. Camcorder acted up during beam.

That is such wonderful news! I am so proud of her that she conquered her fears... that is a HUGE accomplishment!!

I definitely want to see the videos!

Congratulations that sounds like a great meet. My dd is in exactly the same boat. With her, she's been coming back from injuries and after not being able to tumble for a while, has decided she's afraid of BHS on beam and back tumbling on floor. I'm hoping she'll have a first meet like that!

WHat a wonderful tale. Great that she overcome some fears and was able to feel successful at the same time. Great scores for a first L7 meet.

Great job! I love what you said about her being your hero (I'm sappy, but I thought that was about the loveliest thing a mom could say).

way to go to your dd:) I love it when I hear overcoming mental blocks during a meet as I have my mental block basket case for a daughter too.
You have so much to be proud of and happy for with your daughter:)
Way to go on a great first level 7 meet:)

Congrats to her!! Glad she was able to overcome her fears on beam.

Great news! Overcoming beam the beam fear is probably more rewarding than the meet itself. At least that is why my DD says.

Congrats on the 1st optional meet.

I would love to see the video!

Congrats! It is amazing how the fears they have in practice somehow subside during meets. Glad it all worked out for her,
Question on the giant. Is that a gym requirement? My older daughter finally got hers to compete L8 this year. She never had it as a L7.

I also loved your hero comment, so true.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind comments. DD had practice Mon and Tues night and did great. Still going for all her skills. No fear issues. I can only hope this is over for good, but you never know.....

sportyfam5: Yes, our gym requires a giant for l7. My dd and 4 other l7 scratched on bars. Bars has always been her weak event. Yesterday she did one giant on the pit bar without a spot on the giant, but the coach stopped her from going over the wrong way on her cast to handstand. Hopefully, she will get it soon.

Sounds like she did a great job. Mental issues are, regardless of sport, one of the toughest things to get through. Obviously she has some serious determination.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words. This as much a mentally demanding sport as it is physically. Anyone, hope you all had a wonderful holiday. Dd has been off gym since Tuesday due to the holiday. Keep your fingers crossed that the bhs on beam picks right back up where she left off.

Sounds like a great start to L7! The things these girls do at the optional levels are amazing and getting through obstacles such as injury and fear are even more amazing. Glad she had a good first meet. Sending her the giant fairy!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back